Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

When will the LTE be ready to use, and will it be available in Bellefonte, which is just outside of State College?

They will not deploy LTE in North Central PA for a long time. It is not even scheduled. They deployed GMO sites in your market. I just confirmed this last week with a Samsung deployment manager.

If the 3G speeds aren't going to work for you for 2014, you may want to consider another provider. The corridor from Erie to Williamsport will likely be the last part of the Sprint network to get LTE. Even after Hawaii.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Got this msg from sprint today for Lancaster PA. LTE is mostly active here:

SprintFreeMsg: Over the next month, the new network will be largely completed in your area.

Yeah I got this message in York, PA today, but we have had 1900 LTE and 1x 800 for months. So I don't know if that means that they are almost done removing all the legacy equipment and running solely on NV equipment or if this indicates that LTE 800 rollout is under way. I sure hope its both!  :D

Yeah I got this message in York, PA today, but we have had 1900 LTE and 1x 800 for months. So I don't know if that means that they are almost done removing all the legacy equipment and running solely on NV equipment or if this indicates that LTE 800 rollout is under way. I sure hope its both! :D

I believe it is a generic message that went out nationwide in batches. It's gone to people outside Sprint coverage. It's gone to people in places where NV hasn't started yet. It has gone to places that are NV complete. It's going everywhere.

Although Shentel is starting to deploy Band 26 LTE according to our sources. They got a small batch of ALU Band 26 cards. I guess there is a major hangup in deliveries on ALU Band 26 LTE carrier cards. ALU will be the last Sprint OEM to deploy Band 26, apparently.

• Like 2

The corridor from Erie to Williamsport will likely be the last part of the Sprint network to get LTE. Even after Hawaii. 

Bummer!  I was really hoping it wouldn't be much longer since most of the sites already have the backhaul upgrades since they were only 1X before.  I know up west of Erie the towers all have upgraded backhaul as 3G actually works.  We were stuck with 1X prior to any NV work.  Oh well...

Just a quick update. I will sensorly it this weekend because my battery was shot today. From Wilkes-Barre on I81 around  Wal-mart to the Pittston exit on 81 I had LTE for most of my trip. I believe a few towers have gone live because the coverage was strong for a good distance.

Site located in Wilkes Barre in the arm pit of Interstate 81 and the Crossvalley 309 intersection. This site I believe is located on the VA hospital. I heard some rumors that the VA hospital was not letting Sprint do anything to this site.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, is this area covered by other sites or do they need to move this site to another area?

Site located in Wilkes Barre in the arm pit of Interstate 81 and the Crossvalley 309 intersection. This site I believe is located on the VA hospital. I heard some rumors that the VA hospital was not letting Sprint do anything to this site.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, is this area covered by other sites or do they need to move this site to another area?

The VA hospital is a no-go and the legacy cabinet was powered down to prevent dropped calls. I'm not sure where it is in relation to Public Square, but that site has additional RRHs and antennas. 

• Like 1

I was out that way a couple of weeks ago to hit a few sites. Here's a shot of Scranton from the site on the Sandone tire warehouse on Wyoming Ave. and the scary elevator which is the preferred method of accessing the roof as there are no stairs. 

1453380_504705940170_755350301_n.jpg

999623_504706039970_1394258793_n.jpg

• Like 4

I was out that way a couple of weeks ago to hit a few sites. Here's a shot of Scranton from the site on the Sandone tire warehouse on Wyoming Ave. and the scary elevator which is the preferred method of accessing the roof as there are no stairs. 

I'm not surprised in the least a building this "scary" is in Scranton, since the city is almost bankrupt a la Detroit!

Thanks for the info. The public square is probably 3-5 miles away to the south west near the Market ST. bridge. not sure if you know where that is. I am wondering if they are waiting for 800 to go live in this area and not even worry about this site. It seems that 800 is popping up everywhere and is a big help inside the local stores and mall.I have not noticed bad coverage except for slow 3g which is normal but it might be because LTE is starting to show up in a lot of places to.

Again thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info. The public square is probably 3-5 miles away to the south west near the Market ST. bridge. not sure if you know where that is. I am wondering if they are waiting for 800 to go live in this area and not even worry about this site. It seems that 800 is popping up everywhere and is a big help inside the local stores and mall.I have not noticed bad coverage except for slow 3g which is normal but it might be because LTE is starting to show up in a lot of places to.

Again thanks for your help.

They are deploying 800 equipment with 1900 equipment. There are a lot of customers with CDMA 1900 only handset and LTE 1900 only smartphones out there. They can't count on 800 only for areas within an urban area.

They are deploying 800 equipment with 1900 equipment. There are a lot of customers with CDMA 1900 only handset and LTE 1900 only smartphones out there. They can't count on 800 only for areas within an urban area. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I did not even think about anyone else how selfish. Is there any data on whether this site is needed or can Sprint cover this with beefing up other sites?

Since I just switched to Sprint I'm new to this stuff-had good 4g lte with t mobile on Scranton-tonight I had strong lte in south Scranton at weis market but when I go north a few blocks of same tower I drop to crappy 3g-is this normal? Does this mean work is being done and hopefully lte on its way? Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Over the past week or so LTE has been coming live all over this area. I have seen everything to no coverage or poor coverage then a couple of days later LTE.  I don't know for sure but I would say that there is a very good possibility they are working on multiple sites.

I've seen in other posts that lte starts off in islands, which, is definitely happening in Scranton-how long should it take for the islands to connect-I know nothing is written in stone-just hoping for a positive response-sick of 3g

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've seen in other posts that lte starts off in islands, which, is definitely happening in Scranton-how long should it take for the islands to connect-I know nothing is written in stone-just hoping for a positive response-sick of 3g

Almost all the towers in NEPA have had their NV upgrade completed. The ones that are still not broadcasting LTE haven't had their backhaul ipgraded and are still relying on the old dual T1 lines. Tons of LTE towers came online a couple weeks ago, which indicates the local backhaul supplier is finally getting around to getting the towers hooked up.

Been on ehrpd for a couple of weeks and yesterday flipped to evdo and back to ehrpd today-hopefully this means lte soon on this tower? Any thoughts from u knowledgeable folks?

Unfortunately it means nothing. The whole legacy network had ehrpd added last year, it's just a software update. It allows for smooth handoffs between LTE and 3G data sessions. But it doesn't indicate LTE is coming in any way.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Been on ehrpd for a couple of weeks and yesterday flipped to evdo and back to ehrpd today-hopefully this means lte soon on this tower? Any thoughts from u knowledgeable folks?

Make a small donation so you can go into the Sponsors section and view the Interactive Maps. It's worth it.

Where in Scranton are you? Most of Scranton and some of the valley have LTE now.