Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

I'm positive of it, had to troubleshoot one of them yesterday. DO isn't available just yet, still waiting on additional backhaul, but it should be here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I think now is the appropriate time to point out that 1XRTT is a 3G technology! :D

It's hard to believe that 10 years ago driving the PA Turnpike from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh meant enduring an 80 mile 'black hole' in Nextel cell service...not even roaming was available. Ivthink it was between mile markers 200 & 120 or so?

That lack of service was fairly common not so long ago...now it's frustrating if you can pick up only 1xRTT. I think the progression that has been made over the years is amazing when you look at the long view.

• 2 weeks later...

Erie did not have LTE as of the weekend of the 6-7th, now I did not go to every site but I was all over town. This included the peninsula, downtown, peach st, the mall, and the east side of town, as well as driving down 90 and 79. The internet was barely usable in almost all areas, and was making my girlfriend very upset that she was having trouble uploading photos and seeing facebook, as we were there visiting friends we haven't seen in years. I would assume that if there were any towers that were updated, we would have at least gotten better 3G performance, even if LTE was blocked.

Southern butler county is still all on 3G, but even with low signal it is usable for web surfing, email or other basic tasks... youtube always seems to have a loading screen at one point or another, but i'm sure that even after the marginal increase in coverage with the new RRU's and panels as well as increased backhaul, we will be fine at home even not including the 1900LTE/800 1X/800LTE.

Okay.. a few questions.

The State College build is in 'full swing' on January 9th. It's nearly 14 weeks later and there's no LTE here. My apartment is a 5 minute walk from the 'build site' and inside my apartment I get 1 bar of 3G and even see the Extended network from time to time

- When will there be LTE in State College? I'm baffled on this one. Also, the Sprint store in State College has gone out of business and the closest Sprint is now in Altoona. I know you said there usually is 3G improvement (which hasn't been seen) and 'up to a couple of months until LTE is flipped on'.. it will be 4 in 2 weeks. Did they just stop with this build site?

Will Sharon, Pennsylvania ever see 3G? The Sharon/Hermitage area has a population of over 30 thousand and isn't a farm town. The iPhone 5 is inoperable in this area. Verizon and AT&T have 4G in this area. With Sprint you're phone is irrelevant. Sad.

I'm just a very fed up customer and whenever I call customer service they say they're 'working on it'. Is there anything on these two locations?

Okay.. a few questions.

The State College build is in 'full swing' on January 9th. It's nearly 14 weeks later and there's no LTE here. My apartment is a 5 minute walk from the 'build site' and inside my apartment I get 1 bar of 3G and even see the Extended network from time to time

- When will there be LTE in State College? I'm baffled on this one. Also, the Sprint store in State College has gone out of business and the closest Sprint is now in Altoona. I know you said there usually is 3G improvement (which hasn't been seen) and 'up to a couple of months until LTE is flipped on'.. it will be 4 in 2 weeks. Did they just stop with this build site?

Will Sharon, Pennsylvania ever see 3G? The Sharon/Hermitage area has a population of over 30 thousand and isn't a farm town. The iPhone 5 is inoperable in this area. Verizon and AT&T have 4G in this area. With Sprint you're phone is irrelevant. Sad.

I'm just a very fed up customer and whenever I call customer service they say they're 'working on it'. Is there anything on these two locations?

1. There will absolutely be LTE in Sharon, PA & surrounding areas. No ifs or buts. There absolutely will be.

2. The "state college build" is a ground mounted site in the area (not necessarily inside the city) which means no SMR 800 service for sure and may or may not have LTE depending on the ease of getting backhaul to the site. There is no full build sites to my knowledge in progress in the area except those around Pittsburgh but they are just now beginning the market so progress should rapidly expand.

3. So the Sharon/Hermitage area has a pop of over 30,000? Big deal. The area that I live in, the Sacramento region (upper central valley), has over 2.5 million pops and we haven't even gotten anything done yet (infact they are in the earliest stages of anything being done... aka procuring equipment and manpower) so suck it up, there are many many huge metros and areas with no upgrades still and you're not the only one waiting anxiously for better service.

4. http://s4gru.com/ind...-aka-the-rulez/

Also about the last part of your post...

Negative comments. Negative comments about Sprint and/or S4GRU are allowed. However, negative comments must be constructive in nature, relevant to the topic and the conversation, illustrate facts, be made rationally and intelligently and cannot have an attack tone. Rants will not be allowed. We do not host Sprint's complaints. Complaints about Sprint should be directed to their customer service channels.

No LTE in Sharon? I wasn't asking for that, that would never happen, simply just asking when there will be 3G in that area. The guys in the Hermitage, PA Sprint store said that they were 'working on it'. I'm assuming they just need better towers?

And LTE in State College is 50/50? I didn't see it listed on the 'Current and Coming Soon LTE cities' on here. Is there anyone I could contact who knows more about the State College build to see if LTE is possible?

Also, sorry for coming off as a dick in my last post. Just frusterated and I really can't seem to get any answers anywhere else.

One more thing, how did Altoona get LTE before Pittsburgh and how did they get it before State College? Just a more populated area in State College. On game days (like yesterdays Blue/White game) the phone has no service.

No LTE in Sharon? I wasn't asking for that, that would never happen, simply just asking when there will be 3G in that area. The guys in the Hermitage, PA Sprint store said that they were 'working on it'. I'm assuming they just need better towers?

And LTE in State College is 50/50? I didn't see it listed on the 'Current and Coming Soon LTE cities' on here. Is there anyone I could contact who knows more about the State College build to see if LTE is possible?

Also, sorry for coming off as a dick in my last post. Just frusterated and I really can't seem to get any answers anywhere else.

One more thing, how did Altoona get LTE before Pittsburgh and how did they get it before State College? Just a more populated area in State College. On game days (like yesterdays Blue/White game) the phone has no service.

Because Shentel, an affiliate of Sprint, not Sprint themselves owns the Altoona/Harrisburg region.

I may sound like a Dick but I'm not trying to be one every sprint tower will have 4 g LTE on it so any place that has sprint service will have 4g and as dumb as it sounds it is much less work to start work in smaller areas in cities you have more towers to do so it takes longer so by starting in less populated areas you get more 4g on the map faster so by starting your build out in small towns you can show people we have got something done if you would start in the city the map would take longer to get big blobs of 4g on the maps

It's 420 somewhere

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am curious if ANYONE on here lives or visits Oil City PA, me and my friend are wanting to get on Sprint contract plan toget, I live in NY State (near Rochester) I have 3G and Wimax. HOWEVER when I looked up his city/Zip code (16301), I noticed initally it says 3G&more, well if I click that its "Nationwide Sprint Network" (on network) medium color purple. Is internet/data REALLY SLOW there? Or is it not THAT bad?  This is a serious question!!! (I am not dumb I just want some input from people that have visited there or live there).    Thank you! 

I am not sure where Oil city PA is but I live in NEPA, and my data is horrible in the same type of coverage on the Sprint map. I have seen big improvements with data and voice where sprint is in the process of upgrading.

I haven't seen or heard anything lately.  I was wondering how the build-out is coming along in State College.  I'd assume the ground mounts would be up and broadcasting now but I've noticed as of late really bad service along the North Atherton corridor with respect to dropped calls and weak signal areas so that tells me that perhaps the new ground mounts aren't broadcasting yet or perhaps they are having trouble doing seamless handoffs from one site to another.  Also any word at all on 4GLTE in our area?  I am aware that the ground mounts installed are capable of handling 4G but no one seems to be saying much about it these days.  I am a little nervious seeing how the State College Sprint Store closed several months back and there seems to be no signs on the horizon of a new one opening soon.  I'd hate to have just entered into a 2 year agreement with them last November only to learn that they are writing off this market. Does anyone know anything at all?

Is it Possiable Erie,PA will have 4G in the Summber?The 3G is just so bad.

Erie is likely to be one of the last Sprint markets to get LTE. sprint is doing GMO upgrades in this market first. It will improve 3G considerably over time. But a date for LTE is not yet determined.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Erie is likely to be one of the last Sprint markets to get LTE. sprint is doing GMO upgrades in this market first. It will improve 3G considerably over time. But a date for LTE is not yet determined.

The 3G is really slow omost unusable at times.I just hope we are on the list for 4G soon

Any news on the Scranton area? I haven't heard anything in months.

Yeah, I'd like information on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area as well... every time I visit I think about switching to Verizon since not only do I not have 4G past Hershey but I also roam half of the time I am up there.

I'm starting to believe Network Vision is a Myth in Erie,PA the highest data I have ever received is 0.04 since I bought the phone about a year a half ago.Maybe be leaving sooner then later.I have had my phone checked and everything.

Yeah, I'd like information on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area as well... every time I visit I think about switching to Verizon since not only do I not have 4G past Hershey but I also roam half of the time I am up there.

The Scranton area should begin full build sites in the next few weeks, which will bring LTE.

I'm starting to believe Network Vision is a Myth in Erie,PA the highest data I have ever received is 0.04 since I bought the phone about a year a half ago.Maybe be leaving sooner then later.I have had my phone checked and everything.

The Erie market is going to be one of the last markets of its size in the country to get full build sites and LTE. The 3G equipment that is there is awaiting backhaul upgrades.

The Erie market is going to be one of the last markets of its size in the country to get full build sites and LTE. The 3G equipment that is there is awaiting backhaul upgrades.

I understand we have no time table on this but would you say this is going to take years or is this something that is maybe a couple of months down the road to get atleast the 3g to usuable speeds?Thanks

I understand we have no time table on this but would you say this is going to take years or is this something that is maybe a couple of months down the road to get atleast the 3g to usuable speeds?Thanks

4-12 months.

Robert