Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

3 hours ago, poconoprime said:

I don't know, at the rate work is being done, it does not look like all sites will get tri-band by 2019. The weather has not been good for cell site work the last few months in these markets. Central PA GMO sites are ~10% upgraded. Unless they are incorporating band 41 antennas into the current upgrades, I don't see how they can pull off such a goal. Besides, in most rural areas of PA, band 41 seems practical only for fixed mobile broadband service. Urban areas seem to be getting significant tri-band upgrades in order to relieve data traffic congestion.

trust me they will not complete all triband by then , the pace of some markets are way slower then others and gmo land prime area for no upgrade to band 41.

Are we going to have the "all vs substantial complete" thing again? ~85% is considered complete when will they get to that number who knows. They are at ~66% last quarter. Not sure if Jacksonville market was in that count but they have alot of sites that were just upgraded.

GMOs in pittsburgh went from B25 to B25/B26/B41 in one switch. The switch was fast seemed like nothing was going on than bam. B41 was in places I would think would be left for last.

• Like 2

In at least the Columbus area, rural sites are getting triband first.  Of course a lot of sites were already triband.  Urban areas might be last when you consider former Clear sites getting B25 & B26.  The B26 will make a big difference for VoLTE.  Yet to find a GMO site that they have not converted to all RRHs, which gives about a 20% boost in coverage iirc.

I stand corrected ? The first few GMO upgrades around Milford, PA are showing 2 carrier band 41 besides band 25/26. Thanks to member @hungoverfurball and a cellmapper anon for finding that information. Perhaps this is a trend, at least for the central PA market. Most of west PA outside of urban areas looks to be just band 25 and 26 after upgrades.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 7:26 PM, Jim S. said:

I thought they were supposed to go tri-band on all towers by next year.  Did that get forgotten after the merger announcement?

They are flying through B41 upgrades in midwest and plains markets. Places I didn't expect to see B41 for a long time. So no, it has not been forgotten. They are on a pretty good pace to have the great majority (that's what was promised, not all) of sites upgraded to tri-band.

• 7 months later...

GMO upgrade progress

• Central PA: 70% complete
  • West PA: 95% complete
  • Shentel Lancaster County: 74% complete

Most upgraded sites in central PA are hosting B41 LTE. In West PA and Shentel territory it looks as though B41 is limited to high density areas, while rural areas are limited to B25/26. Detailed information is available to premier members.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, mattp said:

any update and is this the market i live in 17078

Lebanon county is a Shentel market. Shentel site builds in PA are substantially finished except for Lancaster county. It just so happens that there is a Shentel site planned (under construction?) near Palmyra south of Horseshoe Pike (Rt. 322) near Louser rd. behind a farm. It will have microwave backhaul when finished.

47 minutes ago, poconoprime said:

Lebanon county is a Shentel market. Shentel site builds in PA are substantially finished except for Lancaster county. It just so happens that there is a Shentel site planned (under construction?) near Palmyra south of Horseshoe Pike (Rt. 322) near Louser rd. behind a farm. It will have microwave backhaul when finished.

the reason why i ask is i got the worst lag i ever got in one area it was usage   right when i was want to use my phone the most 

Hershey PA had B41 on atleast one tower. Personally I have been disappointed in B41 deployment in Shentel comapared to even Western PA. But it has been a while since I have been to Hershey and I don't have any data for area. Even though Hershey is very close to your area.

6 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

Hershey PA had B41 on atleast one tower. Personally I have been disappointed in B41 deployment in Shentel comapared to even Western PA. But it has been a while since I have been to Hershey and I don't have any data for area. Even though Hershey is very close to your area.

In Gallipolis OH Shentel has no B41, but likely because they have b25 15×15 and 10x10 (no CA). So it might be a question of how much b25 capacity they have.

2 hours ago, Flompholph said:

hope it ok that i share the name of a big  home aera i was in where theer was bad covage Rockledge Homeowners Association, Palmyra, PA 17078 i was stay at some house in that area 

On 7/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, Flompholph said:

Flompholop, you need to take a trip into Shentel territory.  Lots of B-41.  Not on every site, but it is on sites that need it.  In my area, we have a 10x10 and a 15X15 on B-25.  Also 2Xca on b-41 and also one B-41 channel at 10 wide. also the standard 800 channel.  This is what we have in what is considered a small town.  Nearby small towns mostly have the same thing.   You can find rural sites with much less capacity but they are adequate for now.   Only occasionally do I see any issue.

Right now I am in Tucson, Az which is considered a big city and I see multiple issues.  When I travel outside Shentel territory is when I have issues.  Shentel is not perfect, but they are doing a great job is a very tough area to cover.  Miles and miles of rural territory with big mountains and smaller towns.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, chamb said:

Flompholop, you need to take a trip into Shentel territory.  Lots of B-41.  Not on every site, but it is on sites that need it.  In my area, we have a 10x10 and a 15X15 on B-25.  Also 2Xca on b-41 and also one B-41 channel at 10 wide. also the standard 800 channel.  This is what we have in what is considered a small town.  Nearby small towns mostly have the same thing.   You can find rural sites with much less capacity but they are adequate for now.   Only occasionally do I see any issue.

Right now I am in Tucson, Az which is considered a big city and I see multiple issues.  When I travel outside Shentel territory is when I have issues.  Shentel is not perfect, but they are doing a great job is a very tough area to cover.  Miles and miles of rural territory with big mountains and smaller towns.

I don't know where you want me to go specifically. The places I go to often in Shentel have 0 coverage even voice. But I try to ignore those spots because everyone is bad there and every market has holes. I covered every interstate in that market. I also covered a lot of Harrisburg PA and  Morgantown. B41 are hotspots (cities only) which is not enough now to be considered good B41 coverage. You can look at the maps and see where my name is to see how much of the market I have covered.

Shentel was a top market but they slept and let other markets deploy right past them. Now it is bottom 10 market in the eastern half of the US(East of I-35). I could be on B41 90% of the time going from DC to Minneapolis but mostly be on B26 going down  I-79->I77 through shentel area.

I am not into doing speed tests I am mostly see if I can I stream a movie then I am good. But if I am inside of shentel there is a 70% chance I could stream that is not good enough. Western PA used to be like that but not anymore. In the past in Western PA you could not stream music going down the interstate. I know that the next statement is hard to take but comparing the two I have a better experience in Western PA right now.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 4:54 PM, poconoprime said:

GMO upgrade progress

• Central PA: 70% complete
  • West PA: 95% complete
  • Shentel Lancaster County: 74% complete

Most upgraded sites in central PA are hosting B41 LTE. In West PA and Shentel territory it looks as though B41 is limited to high density areas, while rural areas are limited to B25/26. Detailed information is available to premier members.

Back on Sprint after a 4 year absence and am happy to see Shentel taking over Lancaster County. My local store rep said there will be 26 new towers in Lancaster County by year end. Having Tri-band sites and VoLTE really make a difference.

Edited by techfranz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

:wavey:Bump

In case anyone is interested, I have been keeping track of Sprint sites being converted to T-Mobile for northeast, northwest and Pittsburgh PA markets. Details available in the Premier sponsor threads for each market. Northeast PA is the most detailed. In summary: most sites converted for northeast and northwest PA. Pittsburgh still has quite a bit to convert. Lots of sites got B41/N41.

• Like 3