Clearwire receives unsolicited offer from DISH

JohnHovah

This article may help explain why Dish is trying to obtain Clearwire

http://www.fiercecab...dire/2013-03-06

We have speculated on that endlessly, on this site. Given that, I don't see DirectTV making any moves, yet!

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Clearwire is planning to tap another $80 million from Sprint for financing in April. This will be the second time Clearwire has tapped into Sprint for financing. The last time was in late Feb.

With another $80 million in financing, I would think this would give Sprint more voting power on the deal. Just need to weed out those pesky Clearwire retail investors to vote for the Sprint deal and get rid of Dish once and for all.

http://finance.yahoo...-013726388.html

• Like 2

Clearwire is planning to tap another $80 million from Sprint for financing in April. This will be the second time Clearwire has tapped into Sprint for financing. The last time was in late Feb.

With another $80 million in financing, I would think this would give Sprint more voting power on the deal. Just need to weed out those pesky Clearwire retail investors to vote for the Sprint deal and get rid of Dish once and for all.

http://finance.yahoo...-013726388.html

II believe that this is another 50 million shares in sprints favor if the deal is voted down. I honestly believe the investors should take the deal they have now. I do not believe it will get any better. Sprint seems to a have all the cards. If the deal does not go though, Sprint only has to wait until November to change the bylaws.

Dish does not have a serious offer on the table. No one else is on the table for the spectrum.

• Like 1

Is Charlie going to turn his attention from Clearwire and focus on interfering in the t-mobile/MetroPCS deal instead?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-02/dish-says-1-billion-debt-offering-may-fund-transactions-1-.html

Today’s offering can be interpreted as a signal that Dish could make a competitive bid for MetroPCS if the merger with T- Mobile is voted down by shareholders, Tim Farrar, an analyst with TMF Associates Inc. in Menlo Park, California, said in an interview.

“Dish wants to use MetroPCS as leverage to get to T-Mobile because Dish needs a national network,” Farrar said. “Buying MetroPCS would be a message to T-Mobile that it’s so screwed it needs to do a deal with Dish on Dish’s terms.”

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Is Charlie going to turn his attention from Clearwire and focus on interfering in the t-mobile/MetroPCS deal instead?

http://www.bloomberg...actions-1-.html

I hope this is true that they divert their attention to Tmobile/MetroPCS.

LEAVE CLEARWIRE ALONE!!!! to Sprint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

• Like 2

YouTube??? I can do better than that...

frabz-leave-clearwire-alone-5d8272.jpg

AJ

• Like 6

Can anyone explain to me what Charlie sees in the wireless business? You think he would have found a suitor by now if he had wanted in for this long of a time period. I know I've heard LTE for video delivery but I would think that platform would be bad for the type of service he wishes to provide.

Can anyone explain to me what Charlie sees in the wireless business? You think he would have found a suitor by now if he had wanted in for this long of a time period. I know I've heard LTE for video delivery but I would think that platform would be bad for the type of service he wishes to provide.

To go along with this question, I don't think Dish has clearly defined what they are looking to do with their spectrum over LTE.

My understanding, the best case use would be set-top boxes to offer an alternative to telco internet services. So a Dish customer can sign up for a triple-play of sorts, with a set-top box which uses satellite for TV, LTE for internet and VoIP using a phone-connect or similar solution.

http://www.bloomberg...actions-1-.html

Leave it to Ergen to have penis envy. I haven't seen any cable providers launch a successful mobile partnership (of any lasting success) in recent history. It almost appears that he just wants to mess with people for the sake of it or to drive up prices in any company he has stock holdings in. hmmmmm. things that make you go

I think the bottom line is that they will need a Sprint/Softbank? buy-in to go ahead with their AWS plans (no matter what those entail) considering the possible interference with the PCS G and H bands. It would be much easier for Charlie to get some type of deal worked out with Sprint or other wireless providers in the adjacent spectrum allocations.

Dish raises $2.3 billion in debt for spectrum purchases

http://www.chicagotr...0,5036895.story

Well "By June 2013, we must provide signal coverage and offer service to at least 35% of the geographic area in each area covered by each individual license (the “700 MHz Interim Build-out Requirement”). Line from their 10-K
  • Like 1

Well "By June 2013, we must provide signal coverage and offer service to at least 35% of the geographic area in each area covered by each individual license (the “700 MHz Interim Build-out Requirement”). Line from their 10-K

That construction requirement applies to Dish's Lower 700 MHz E block 6 MHz (unpaired) licenses across the entire US (absent only the New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, and San Francisco EAs). Because those licenses are unpaired spectrum, they are essentially worthless/useless right now. Expect Dish to throw up some high power broadcast sites for license protection for the time being.

AJ

• Like 3

If Crest wants Clear to stay independent, they need to work how to make Clear sustainably profitable, which will take more than a small smattering of LTE sites. I still cannot understand how or why Clear never went on the same LTE/Wimax wholesale roadshow that Lightsquared did, considering how successful Lightsquared was. And since Sprint will sink a tri-mode chip in their smartphones before a Clear will start increasing Sprint user subsidies again (vs. decreasing ones as wimax devices are deactivated) exactly how does Clear sustain and pay for further buildout after the financing? More financing from Crest? Pissing on Sprint isn't going to help them long term unless they plan on bringing a lot more to the table.

• Like 1

Crest played their best card. If Clearwire doesn't want to merge with Sprint, now it has an out. But the Crest deal does not solve Clearwire's problems. It just buys it more time.

Crest wants to sell its shares for a premium, and feels this loan has no risk. Because they believe no matter what, CLWR will be sold in the next 12-18 months and their loan will get paid back. And they will gain the increase in share price in the sale they desire.

I just hope CLWR rejects Crest financing and this can just move on and the drama stops. Sprint just needs to meet or beat Crest's terms and move on. I have to think there are a lot of people at CLWR who do not want to merge with Sprint, though. This could be tempting.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's getting more comical by the day.

Who else is going to buy Clearwire? Nobody. Crest probably just wants sprint to put forth a higher bid now that Sprint is full of cash. Unless Crest wants clearwire to default, if Sprint says no to higher payout, I suspect they'll hush up when it comes voting time.

Big difference between Softbank running the show vs. Sprint. Sprint has historically appeared to be not very financially sophisticated.

• Like 1

To Crest, after softbank takes over

Darth Son: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

• Like 4

What I don't get out of this Sprint/Dish/Clearwire circus is that how can Clearwire be allowed to receive funds from Crest Financial or entertain deals with Dish when it is in the process of receiving approval for a Sprint/Softbank/Clearwire merger. Shouldn't Clearwire be in a state where they can't be messing around with other deals. If Clearwire accepts Crest Financial funding, doesn't it complicate things?

It just seems like in a way Clearwire is not happy at all about being bought out by Sprint/Softbank even though they have relied entirely on Sprint for funding for the last few years. If they think they can survive by themselves without Sprint they are drinking some Crest and Dish kool-aid.

• Like 1

What I don't get out of this Sprint/Dish/Clearwire circus is that how can Clearwire be allowed to receive funds from Crest Financial or entertain deals with Dish when it is in the process of receiving approval for a Sprint/Softbank/Clearwire merger. Shouldn't Clearwire be in a state where they can't be messing around with other deals. If Clearwire accepts Crest Financial funding, doesn't it complicate things?

It just seems like in a way Clearwire is not happy at all about being bought out by Sprint/Softbank even though they have relied entirely on Sprint for funding for the last few years. If they think they can survive by themselves without Sprint they are drinking some Crest and Dish kool-aid.

The Clearwire board has a fiduciary duty to examine any offer, whether for financing or merger or acquisition. I am sure that they realize that they cannot survive on their own without Sprint. I'm sure they want to stay independent, but the writing is on the wall. It was a totally disfunctional arrangement that created them in the first place and it is time to end it.

• Like 2

To Crest, after softbank takes over

Darth Son: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

This deal is getting worse all the time!

• Like 3

The Clearwire board has a fiduciary duty to examine any offer, whether for financing or merger or acquisition. I am sure that they realize that they cannot survive on their own without Sprint. I'm sure they want to stay independent, but the writing is on the wall. It was a totally disfunctional arrangement that created them in the first place and it is time to end it.

I get the whole fiduciary duty that Clearwire has to pursue for its shareholders but what I don't understand is if that is the case, Clearwire should not be tapping into Crest Financial or Sprint financing for the time being while they are doing their due diligence. Obviously Sprint, Dish and Crest Financial have money and if Dish was really serious about making a deal with Clearwire, why haven't they offered some upfront money as a down payment to try to secure the deal like Sprint has offered.

To me, once Clearwire decides to taps into either Sprint or Crest Financial for funding it should be a clear indication of who they want to go with. I have never seen a potential merger deal like this where the target company is allowed free reign to continue performing activities with other companies which are not related with the original merger agreement. I think at this point, Clearwire already knows the details of the Dish deal and Sprint deal. It already has been 3 months and they are still wavering on this decision.