Clearwire receives unsolicited offer from DISH

JohnHovah

Yes, but you have 800Mhz panels, 1900Mhz panels, 2500/2600MHz already, plus the RRU's for each. Yes S band and 2600MHz can share, but will be not be optimal for either.

The 800 and 1900 MHz frequencies are on the same panel with two antennas on 1900 MHz and one antenna on 800 MHz inside the panel.

The 800/ESMR and 1900 antennas are both in the same panel housing with NV inside the new, center-mounted panel. Even though there are physically multiple antennas inside (three total, two for 1900 carriers and one for ESMR, is pretty common, but other configurations are possible depending on how many 1900 carriers are in use in the market), it just looks like one. (The old panels, typically mounted on the ends of the rack, are no longer powered and will eventually be removed.) There's no reason why the vendors can't build S-band and 2500/2600 panels into the same housing either.

Having said that Sprint is probably going to tell Dish to go pound sand on any co-hosting agreement after Charlie's throwing a (small) wrench in the Clear merger. The only thing Dish may have going for them at this point is a bunch of empty Nextel racks that tower owners will want tenants for in the next 2-3 years (and Sprint may strategically decide to keep leasing many of them either to expand the native footprint or just to keep them out of Dish's and T-Mobile's hands).

Yeah, I forgot about the fact that you can combine the antennas into one panel.

I still think that Sprint should just get back it's BRS spectrum and then sell the rest of Clearwire (leased spectrum+network) to Dish. Of course that should include debt. That may quell any cries that Sprint is a spectrum hog, plus it unloads leases to Dish. Of course Charlie Ergen is not stupid and may just elect to sell his spectrum instead.

Edited by bigsnake49

Yeah, I forgot about the fact that you can combine the antennas into one panel.

I still think that Sprint should just get back it's BRS spectrum and then sell the rest of Clearwire (leased spectrum+network) to Dish. Of course that should include debt. That may quell any cries that Sprint is a spectrum hog, plus it unloads leases to Dish. Of course Charlie Ergen is not stupid and may just elect to sell his spectrum instead.

He'd be pretty stupid if he took that deal. But I like it!

• Like 1

I still think that Sprint should just get back it's BRS spectrum and then sell the rest of Clearwire (leased spectrum+network) to Dish.

Are you still okay with that deal even though Sprint controls less than the maximum 55.5 MHz attributable BRS in many markets?

AJ

Are you still okay with that deal even though Sprint controls less than the maximum 55.5 MHz attributable BRS in many markets?

AJ

I would like to see where they are deficient and where can they obtain the rest.

I would like to see where they are deficient and where can they obtain the rest.

Couldn't agree more and if they are close in almost all of the top markets, then yes, I think the brs is sufficient and they can re lease the ebs of they need to in 5 to 10 years when this debacle is over with.

Sent from phone

• Like 1

So does this mean that the Dish deal is void? I remember that Clearwire could not get funding from Sprint as a stipulation of the offer.

I don't know about void, but we'll see how serious DISH is about a deal now.

I don't think they will stop pursuing Clearwire....

Has anyone checked to see if Charlie Ergen is made of liquid metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0JMVal0cdY

AJ

• Like 2

Nope.. If he is any kind of terminator he is more than likely this one (take that as you will)

Are you saying that Ergen has gynecomastia?

AJ

Are you saying that Ergen has gynecomastia?

AJ

More aptly, his posturing and complaints are about as pointless as inflatable tits on an evil terminator

• Like 1

Clearwire borrows $80 million from Sprint, dish will probably withdraw offer.

http://www.engadget....ws-sprint-cash/

I am going to lose sleep tonight over the photo in your link. As if I could spare any sleep:

twilightclearwiregood-1361976889.jpg

• Like 3

twilightclearwiregood-1361976889.jpg

Dan and Erik sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G....

AJ

• Like 2

It seems Clear has drawn some funding

[excerpt]

Clearwire has not decided if it will take more than one month of payments, though it has already lost the right to draw on the January and February installments, according to a statement. It added that it was still in talks with Dish over its $3.30 counterbid. However, the acceptance of the March funding, in the form of exchangeable notes (which Sprint can convert into Clearwire stock at $1.50 each under certain conditions) seems a clear signal, and also increases the carrier's shareholding.

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/article.asp?article_id=24636

• Like 2

I am curious for those that are familiar with the situation...at what point does Clearwire need to make a decision on whether they will accept a Sprint or Dish deal? I know that Clearwire has started tapping into Sprint funding which I thought Sprint had put a condition in the merger agreement that if Clearwire ever accepted any funding it could NOT consider any other transaction but that doesn't seem to be case. Does Dish still even have a chance of a Clearwire deal given this condition? It appears from reading articles about Clearwire that they stated that they are still mulling over the Dish deal which doesn't make sense to me.

I just want Clearwire to make a darn decision already so that the whole Sprint/Softbank/Clearwire transaction can be analyzed by the FCC and DOJ. Doesn't Clearwire have a deadline to make such a decision. I don't believe Clearwire can drag on this saga forever. Clearwire needs to quickly decide on who they want to be bought out by so that they can move on and start building their TD-LTE network.

I believe Sprint is not in a hurry; they have time on their side. According to the quotes below, the longer it takes the more likely sprint is to getting Clearwire. Also the clearwire board supports the sprint offer, they are just doing their due diligences.

. The $80 million draw could result in the issuance of 50 million shares which would dilute investors by 3.5% if the deal was voted down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/02/27/clearwire-nabs-80m-from-sprint-still-mulling-dish-bid/

Sprint still needs 75% approval and to date seems to have secured ~64% of voting stock. CLWR’s minority shareholders may be able to block the S-CLWR transaction, but only until the Sprint’s standstill agreement ends on November 28, 1013. After that date, Sprint would only need 66 2/3% vote to change CLWR’s bylaws, and could probably accumulate additional stock in the open market, as well as change CLWR’s by-laws so that it did not need 75% approval for a change of control.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/02/04/clwr-davidson-cuts-to-hold-sprint-likely-to-prevail/

• Like 2