So...which Sprint phone has the best RF quality?

So I don't think there was ever a real answer to the OP's question and now I'm curious too.

So...which Sprint phone has the best RF quality? Samsung GS3?

Possibly... GS3 isn't too good at 850mhz compared to other phones. I would assume the same as 800 too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I recognize some of those figures, too.

;)

AJ

And just to add to the RF thing. Look at the numbers for LTE on the S3 and the Note2. I was in an area today trying to hunt down another LTE active site was seeing in the engineering screen. I kept dropping it on the Note2 as it was very fringe. I couldn't even get the S3 to find it. I could get the Note2 to connect but the speeds were mid range 3gish. Needless to say I was VERY impressed with the Note2 LTE RF performance which doesn't jive with these numbers. But of course these numbers are only part of the puzzle.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 2

And just to add to the RF thing. Look at the numbers for LTE on the S3 and the Note2. I was in an area today trying to hunt down another LTE active site was seeing in the engineering screen. I kept dropping it on the Note2 as it was very fringe. I couldn't even get the S3 to find it. I could get the Note2 to connect but the speeds were mid range 3gish. Needless to say I was VERY impressed with the Note2 LTE RF performance which doesn't jive with these numbers. But of course these numbers are only part of the puzzle.

If I'm not mistaken those are only rf transmit numbers which have no bearing on receive strength, correct?

There is a direct correlation to the 'RF scores' and radio performance in most of the devices. But there were anomalies.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Here's something to think about when considering RF performance... Last week a field tech and I put a GS3, an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 side by side, put all 3 of them in test mode and got wildly different RSSI readings. We were standing in front of a legacy toy cell and all 3 phones hashed to the same carrier, so by the nature of the way CDMA functions, all 3 handsets should have the exact same RSSI, which should have been around -40, since we were 12 feet from the antenna.

With that being said, the dB level is based on a reference, and if that reference is different between chipsets, the RSSI will be inaccurate.

Also keep in mind that different phones hash to different carriers and the pilot power between the carriers can differ.

• Like 2

So based on your speadsheet, the LG Optimus G has the strongest transmitter?

Maybe... Not an FCC doc guru, or even baseband guru by any means. It was the numbers listed at which they tested things.

Here's something to think about when considering RF performance... Last week a field tech and I put a GS3, an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 side by side, put all 3 of them in test mode and got wildly different RSSI readings. We were standing in front of a legacy toy cell and all 3 phones hashed to the same carrier, so by the nature of the way CDMA functions, all 3 handsets should have the exact same RSSI, which should have been around -40, since we were 12 feet from the antenna.

With that being said, the dB level is based on a reference, and if that reference is different between chipsets, the RSSI will be inaccurate.

Also keep in mind that different phones hash to different carriers and the pilot power between the carriers can differ.

Good point there about the reference causing the RSSI to be inaccurate....at least for comparison sake between different devices...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2