Some news for the windows phone enthusiasts

peteyz24

http://www.marketwat...-lte-2013-01-07

press release

Jan. 7, 2013, 5:45 p.m. EST

Sprint Selects Samsung and HTC for Windows Phone 8 Launch with Truly Unlimited Sprint 4G LTE

PR-Logo-Businesswire.gif

LAS VEGAS, Jan 07, 2013 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Sprint S +0.68% today joined with Microsoft to announce the upcoming availability of Windows Phone 8 smartphones on the Sprint nationwide network. Sprint will bring two initial handsets to customers by summer - one each from Samsung and HTC.

Sprint is the only national carrier with Truly Unlimited(SM) 4G LTE data, text and calling to any mobile with no metering, no throttling, and no overages. Sprint will bring the unlimited data experience to Windows Phone 8 with Sprint's Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, Anytime(SM) including unlimited Web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $79.99 per month. This is a savings of $20 per month versus Verizon's comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and 2GB Web (excludes taxes and surcharges).

"Sprint has had a strong relationship with Microsoft for many years so we are excited to reinforce our commitment to the Windows 8 platform by sharing the details and timing for our first Windows Phone 8 smartphones," said Fared Adib, Sprint senior vice president, product development and operations. "These smartphones combine a robust new operating platform with the benefit of Sprint's unlimited data plans. There is no doubt these phones will quickly become an extension of your PC experience right in the palm of your hand."

Both the Samsung and HTC smartphones will offer Sprint 3G and 4G LTE and impressive lists of features including dual cameras enabling video chat, dual-core processors for enhanced internal speed between applications and support for expandable external memory. Additional device details, including pricing, will be shared closer to their availability dates.

Windows Phone 8 offers a truly personal phone experience, connecting Sprint customers to the people and information that matters most to them. With a similar look and feel, the same technology core, and the same built-in SkyDrive cloud service, Windows Phone 8 is built to work seamlessly with Windows 8 PCs, Microsoft Surface devices and the Xbox 360 console.

"We're looking forward to bringing two new Windows Phone 8 devices by Samsung and HTC to market with Sprint this summer, adding to our strong Windows Phone 8 portfolio," said Terry Myerson, Corporate Vice President of the Windows Phone Division. "These devices, coupled with Sprint's unlimited 4G LTE data experience, will make it easy for Windows Phone 8 customers to have the most personal smartphone experience possible, wherever they are."

Sprint introduced its all-new 4G LTE network in July 2012 and now offers service in 49 marketsi. Sprint has announced nearly 150 markets that will see an official LTE launch in the coming months. For the most up-to-date details on Sprint's 4G LTE portfolio and rollout, please visit www.sprint.com/4GLTE . For detailed 4G LTE maps, providing coverage information right down to the address, please visit www.sprint.com/coverage . Customers are encouraged to check back often, as the maps will be updated when coverage in these markets is enhanced.

For more information, visit www.sprint.com/windows8 .

About Sprint Nextel

Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served nearly 56 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in both its 2011 and 2012 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation's greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint .

About Microsoft Corporation

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Samsung is a registered trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. 4G LTE when used in connection with Samsung devices refers to the fact that the devices are capable of operating on Sprint's 4G LTE network.

• Like 2

http://www.marketwat...-lte-2013-01-07

press release

Jan. 7, 2013, 5:45 p.m. EST

Sprint Selects Samsung and HTC for Windows Phone 8 Launch with Truly Unlimited Sprint 4G LTE

PR-Logo-Businesswire.gif

LAS VEGAS, Jan 07, 2013 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Sprint S +0.68% today joined with Microsoft to announce the upcoming availability of Windows Phone 8 smartphones on the Sprint nationwide network. Sprint will bring two initial handsets to customers by summer - one each from Samsung and HTC.

Sprint is the only national carrier with Truly Unlimited(SM) 4G LTE data, text and calling to any mobile with no metering, no throttling, and no overages. Sprint will bring the unlimited data experience to Windows Phone 8 with Sprint's Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, Anytime(SM) including unlimited Web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $79.99 per month. This is a savings of $20 per month versus Verizon's comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and 2GB Web (excludes taxes and surcharges).

"Sprint has had a strong relationship with Microsoft for many years so we are excited to reinforce our commitment to the Windows 8 platform by sharing the details and timing for our first Windows Phone 8 smartphones," said Fared Adib, Sprint senior vice president, product development and operations. "These smartphones combine a robust new operating platform with the benefit of Sprint's unlimited data plans. There is no doubt these phones will quickly become an extension of your PC experience right in the palm of your hand."

Both the Samsung and HTC smartphones will offer Sprint 3G and 4G LTE and impressive lists of features including dual cameras enabling video chat, dual-core processors for enhanced internal speed between applications and support for expandable external memory. Additional device details, including pricing, will be shared closer to their availability dates.

Windows Phone 8 offers a truly personal phone experience, connecting Sprint customers to the people and information that matters most to them. With a similar look and feel, the same technology core, and the same built-in SkyDrive cloud service, Windows Phone 8 is built to work seamlessly with Windows 8 PCs, Microsoft Surface devices and the Xbox 360 console.

"We're looking forward to bringing two new Windows Phone 8 devices by Samsung and HTC to market with Sprint this summer, adding to our strong Windows Phone 8 portfolio," said Terry Myerson, Corporate Vice President of the Windows Phone Division. "These devices, coupled with Sprint's unlimited 4G LTE data experience, will make it easy for Windows Phone 8 customers to have the most personal smartphone experience possible, wherever they are."

Sprint introduced its all-new 4G LTE network in July 2012 and now offers service in 49 marketsi. Sprint has announced nearly 150 markets that will see an official LTE launch in the coming months. For the most up-to-date details on Sprint's 4G LTE portfolio and rollout, please visit www.sprint.com/4GLTE . For detailed 4G LTE maps, providing coverage information right down to the address, please visit www.sprint.com/coverage . Customers are encouraged to check back often, as the maps will be updated when coverage in these markets is enhanced.

For more information, visit www.sprint.com/windows8 .

About Sprint Nextel

Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served nearly 56 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in both its 2011 and 2012 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation's greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint .

About Microsoft Corporation

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Samsung is a registered trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. 4G LTE when used in connection with Samsung devices refers to the fact that the devices are capable of operating on Sprint's 4G LTE network.

Talk about being vague on details. Good to see Windows Phone coming to Sprint though!

I will likely pick up the first Windows Phone device to hit Sprint. I'm interested in checking it out and putting it through our testing rigmarole.

Robert

• Like 4

Said it before Windows Phone launched and will say it again.. it's just too late in the game.

I agree, apple and/or android would really have to screw up there software for windows to get much of the market in my opinion.

I will likely pick up the first Windows Phone device to hit Sprint. I'm interested in checking it out and putting it through our testing rigmarole.

Robert

I am not surprised by this... LOL

• Like 1

I develop for Windows and I'll be the first to admit that I don't like the OS. The developing environment is exceptional however.

Only problem is, I don't ever see these phones. Haven't really seen one in the store either unless it is stuck off in some corner. That is a huge problem as no people equals no devs equals no apps equals no people want the phone. Just goes round and round. Hard to break the cycle at this time.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Only problem is, I don't ever see these phones. Haven't really seen one in the store either unless it is stuck off in some corner. That is a huge problem as no people equals no devs equals no apps equals no people want the phone. Just goes round and round. Hard to break the cycle at this time. -- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Microsoft and Nokia were trying hard to change that, but it is going to be really difficult for any platform to try to catch on against iOS and Android at this point with the mature ecosystems they both boast. Microsoft is going to have to look long term and throw money at the mobile platform until they hit at least 15-20% market share, then they can start expecting a return.

They were going to spend millions on additional commissions for AT&T, they should extend that to VZW and Sprint too.

I will say this though. I walked into the local VZW store (corporate) and the Windows phones were the first display on the left side of the store (which is where the iPhones used to reside) They also had them on a display showcasing the wireless charging capability even though the Droid DNA had no wireless charger anywhere near it... It will be interesting to see the end of year numbers to see if WP is gaining any ground.

I have played with a htc 8x at best buy. I didnt hate it, but didnt like it either. I am not a fan of the tiles. Granted I only messed with it for about 5 minutes which isnt enough time to form much of an opinion. Not being open source is enough for me to not want to purchase it.

• 4 months later...

HTC Windows Phone with CDMA2000 band classes 0, 1, 10 and LTE band 25 -- definitely made for Sprint -- hit the FCC OET today.  We will likely have our usual RF analysis article up on The Wall in a day or two.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=164126&fcc_id=NM8PO88100

AJ

• Like 1