jpkjeff

Samsung (Galaxy S3 or Note) or iPhone5?

As of January 1st, I am eligible (finally) for my upgrade. I have read and researched exhaustively, and still am on the fence about which device to buy.

I have had Samsung Android phones as my last two phones (the Moment, and then the Epic 4G Wimax, otherwise known as the Galaxy S1 on other carriers).

On the plus side, I do love many aspects of Android, including the customization options and I've played with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean phones and the improvements over Gingerbread (which my current phone will obviously be stuck with until hell freezes over) are impressive.

Yet I've also played with the iPhone 4S quite a lot (my best friend has had one for some time now) and I love that it doesn't freeze up, hesitate, or have any error messages...and it feels good in the hand, hardware wise), and have owned an iPad for nearly 2 years...so I do like the idea of adding a device to the same ecosystem.

Has anyone else upgraded to either of these devices recently, and if so, what are your impressions?

As of this moment, if I had to purchase a phone it would definitely be the note 2 by a long shot, as far as features the note is way ahead of anything else(and this is coming from someone that loves HTC). I have talked so many of my friends into getting a note 2 and every last one of them were intimidated by the size of it but after getting used to all the features they all say they can't see themselves with out it.

• Like 2

I love my Note 2. Features unlike any other. And if you root it, the mods are simply awesome.

TS

• Like 1

Personally, I've owned all three devices and I can't say with lesser bias that I prefer the GSIII.

I held on to the Iphone 4s for 4 months before giving it to my girlfriend, and then moved on to the GSIII. After about 4 months, my brother's phone broke so I gave him the GSIII and got my note.

My main impression of the 4S was that it was a very user friendly that offered ease of use, but with that came a major caveat. It was very restrictive in many ways, and data was noticeably slower on an iphone. (Except for push email notifications).

The GSIII on the other hand felt faster, offered the SVDO feature (call and browse at the same time), was the perfect size, Jelly Bean and ICS had much more features, and over all had very few glitches. I even got a better battery life out of it then the 4S.

The Note was at first too large, and all though I'm use to it now is still too big. It's also has much more lag in response time than the GSIII, and doesn't have SVDO. The S pen is definitely useful, but TouchWiz still needs to be touched up a bit for it. Ultimately it's a larger version of the GSIII with a pen and a faster processor that feels slower.

I still love the SIII and wholeheartedly recommend it, but your decision should really be based on your personal needs.

• Like 1

The Note 2 is definitely large and not for everyone. But I have not experienced the lag. It feels so much faster than my GS3, in every way. And the display is noticeably better too.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Note 2 if you can live with the size of it. Its a love hate thing about the size. You will love the size of the display but its a bit too big to reach all the corners with out work one handed. The pen is better than I thought it would be, never thought I would use it.

Note 2 its really about the size.

I've been an HTC guy since they were doing pocket pc's and I sold my Evo LTE back in Dec for the Note 2. My initial plan was to get the note and see if I was ok with the size and if not get the gs3..... I stuck with the Note. I've had no lags no random reboots etc. I mean you can browse and talk, do 2 apps at once etc etc... I was blown away by the features it had out the box compared to the Evo. Get the Note. :D

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I use to have a iphone and I can Honestly say I love my s3 and its worth having

• Like 1

Hi,

I have had the S3 for awhile and like it alot. On ICS, I would occasionally get the phone.android.x has crashed messaged while on the phone though it did not affect anything including the call in progress. I have not had the problem since the JB upgrade. I have not had any freezing issues either onit. I got mine before the Note 2 was out and would not mind the bigger screen but it funny how convenient SVDO is, which the note nor iphones at least on Sprint have. Its funny how without thinking you are the phone with someone and just want to look up something you are talking about and with the S3 you can do it easily.

My brother recently upgraded, in his mind he admitted the S3 is the better phone no doubt, but felt he had to go iphone just because wife has iphone and they have ipads.

Note2 by far! Had the EVO LTE, dumped it due to RF issues and memory issues. Wife has the GS3, great phone by all means but the Note2 just blows it out the water. Definitely not a phone for chicks with small hands or dudes with skinny jeans though.

I used to take my phone and put my sons iPod touch on top of it showing how small it was. Now my son takes my Note2 w/Otterbox and puts it on top of his Nexus 7 and says "Look at this!". He even puts his Nexus 7 in his jeans/pants pockets and he's not huge or hefty, average build/size.

I definitely wouldn't go with the iphone with its closed minded nazi minded ecosystem. You can't map 4G LTE with Sensorly on it. That would take all the fun out of things!

• Like 1

+1 for the Note 2. It's the fastest, most stable phone I've ever owned. It picks up LTE very well, has an awesome screen, and amazing battery life. I don't think I could ever go back to a 4" screen, or even a 4.5" one!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By mdob07
      Its almost time for the next iteration of Samsung's Galaxy Phones! I'm planning on pre-ordering either the S20+ or Ultra. Current Rumors have it going on Pre-order February 11.  Let the discussion commence...

• By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By MacinJosh
      iPhone XS and XS Max are Apple's newest flagship phones, and the successors to Apple's 2017 iPhone X. They have the new A12 Bionic chip, improved cameras and faster FaceID, and come in a beautiful Gold Stainless Steel finish in addition to the Silver & Space Gray options. They are available in the same 5.8" Super Retina display as with the X, and the bigger 6.5" Super Retina. They are available in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB configurations.
      Apple added Dual SIM technology to the 2018 iPhone's, with one physical SIM, and one eSIM. (eSIM feature not currently supported by Sprint, but is said to be coming later). These phones also feature IP68 water-resistance (iPhone X was IP67) which gives you protection in water for up to 30 minutes in up to 2m of water.
    • By S4GRU
      by Scott Johnson
      Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
      Friday, February 3, 2012 - 2:00 PM MST

The iPhone is something many people see as a status symbol. Many who have never owned one, long for their upgrade date so they can go out and buy the "exclusive" iPhone that they have been denied access to for years. Even some who had the iPhone, and then switched carriers, long to repurchase another. Yes, the iPhone is a well made smartphone with access to a loaded app store, and has many desirable features. But is it really better than Windows Phone, Blackberry or Android models?
      When Apple entered into a contract with AT&T, they remanufactured the RAZR craze and how the artificial scarcity of the device created such huge demand. The RAZR was a good device, and you may argue it was well ahead of other phones at the time of its release, but the other manufacturers caught up quickly. Apple used a similar strategy and it has paid off immensely. The iPhone is now available on the top 3 carriers in the U.S., but is still seen as a status symbol in many circles. As if only a few people have access to it. One could make a strong argument that the Samsung Galaxy SII is a superior smartphone, but still many customers line up to get the iPhone instead, because their inner hoarder says they NEED it, and the products perceived coolness and limited availability only add to the whole experience.
      The concept of artificial scarcity is simple. You take a product that is plentifully available to manufacture in mass, but limit distribution to a limited time, limited area, or in the case of the iPhone, limited retail outlets.
      The strategy has worked perfect for Disney. Why let your movies make the gradual descent to the $3.99 Wal-Mart bargain bin? Just keep "taking them out of the vault" and offering them at full price for a few months every couple years and people pull their credit cards out to pay $17.99 for an 85 year old movie and thank Disney for "allowing" them the opportunity to purchase Snow White. Oh, and you get to be a part of a limited privileged club.
      Another notable example is McDonald's McRib. If it was on the menu full time, many people either wouldn't bother going to McDonalds or would order something else, but artificial scarcity commands us to rush in to McDonalds and get several McRibs at a time because we won't have another chance at it for another year. What do we end up with, besides a belly ache and a reason why we don't normally eat at McDonalds?
      We should be immune to this form of advertising by now, as we are constantly inundated with limited time availability and special edition products all around us. However it is still alive and well here on Planet Earth, because it still works. Big time.
      Can Apple keep the air of exclusivity over its iPhone as it continues to broaden its distribution? Or will smartphone buyers move on to other devices? Only time will tell. But many doubt that Apple will play its hand as well in an era post Steve Jobs.

Photos Courtesy of iPhone5rumor.net
    • By S4GRU
      by Jeff Foster
      Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
      Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:46 PM MST

Since last fall, there had been talk of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus launching on American carriers other than Big Red. Sprint has finally announced several weeks ago that it is the another vendor slated for release in the U.S. Suffice to say, many of us out there, especially those adverse to heading to Verizon and paying its premium prices, are excited about the impending release.
      The good news is that Google could be working on an updated version of the Galaxy Nexus. It has unofficially been dubbed the Galaxy Nexus Plus. There is much anticipation that it will be released before Sprint turns on LTE this summer. It’s not the first time an OEM has refreshed a device and re-released it to the market place, which works to our advantage. It’s rumored that the new Galaxy Nexus will have either a 1.5 or 1.8 GHz Texas Instrument OMAP4670 dual core processor. This would be a significant upgrade from the 1.2 GHz dual core processor found in the current Verizon version.
      We don’t know anything about official specs, but it’s also rumored to have an 8 MP camera. This is a noteworthy upgrade to the 5 MP shooter on the Verizon model (which has been lauded by many techies). We already know that the Sprint model will come installed with Google Wallet, per previous announcements. Some rumors also point to a beefier battery as well. The phone should have all the other features that’s on the current Galaxy Nexus, so now all we have to do is wait.

Source: http://androidandme....era-on-the-way/