Anyone move from EVO to SIII?

ufergus

How dare you?! Pure Android loads applications fully 0.08 seconds faster, and that makes all the difference in the world to a phone geek...er, I mean..."power user."

;)

AJ

And it loads the homescreen a whole 15 seconds faster, which makes all the difference in the world to... anyone.

Anyone who's used Sense for any amount of time knows the dreaded "HTC" screen, later changed to a "loading" screen. It's better on the EVOLTE than the 4G or the 3G, but it's still bad. No idea if they improved it since Jelly Bean; my EVO is long gone, replaced with a Note.

And it loads the homescreen a whole 15 seconds faster, which makes all the difference in the world to... anyone.

Anyone who's used Sense for any amount of time knows the dreaded "HTC" screen, later changed to a "loading" screen. It's better on the EVOLTE than the 4G or the 3G, but it's still bad. No idea if they improved it since Jelly Bean; my EVO is long gone, replaced with a Note.

Haven't seen that Loading screen since August, when I got my EVO swapped for a new one because one of the radios went bad. Or something like that. They couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Yes, I remember that screen until I went to a different ROM and removed all the garbage in the process of flashing as well. I don't think it takes my Note2 15 seconds to boot from the bootloader graphic.

I added a line and swapped phones around, paying the ETF for my original line of service.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I took one of my lines' upgrade and gave them the EVO LTE. I needed my coverage back in a few areas where I lost it. I thought the Epic 4G RF was bad until I compared it to the EVO LTE. My other line had a Epic4g as well and now has the EVO LTE. Their roaming data amount has more than doubled. And is now on the trend to be almost quadrupled. Not sure if they are using the phone more but I highly doubt it given the user.

I took one of my lines' upgrade and gave them the EVO LTE. I needed my coverage back in a few areas where I lost it. I thought the Epic 4G RF was bad until I compared it to the EVO LTE. My other line had a Epic4g as well and now has the EVO LTE. Their roaming data amount has more than doubled. And is now on the trend to be almost quadrupled. Not sure if they are using the phone more but I highly doubt it given the user.

I have friends with Epics. Wasn't aware they were such bad RF performers, since I've never actually used one. Gives me hope for when they can get new phones! They complain a lot about bad reception in certain locations.

The S3 and the Evo lte are both great phones in my opinion. I personally prefer the Evo. I haven't experienced any of the issues people are having with the jb update, my phone runs great! Most of my friends have S3's and they love it. It's just a matter of personal preference and what you use your phone for.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I am switching to a Galaxy S III on Monday.

There are a couple reasons but the main one is Sense has a 5 minute time out on their notification light so it shuts off even if you don't clear the notification after 5 minutes. Plus the light is kind of hard to see from a distance. I sit at a Microscope all day long and I need to be able to glance at my phone and know if someone has contacted me without having to take my hands off my work. I know the S3 has a nice, bright notification light and there are apps that actually work with it like Light Manager which allows me color customization for various notifications (Sense/EVO LTE is limited to green unless you run Cyanogenmod which has its own issues like dropping data randomly. Also, because The SIII has an AMOLED display I can use an app like noLED to get my notifications lit up on my screen without using much battery.

I don't particularly care for Pentile displays after owning the Nexus S 4G. That phone's display really bugged me because any orange or red app icons or whatever had a noticeable grainy look to them. Having looked at the Galaxy S III display at a Sprint store I no longer get that feeling. The much higher resolution has eliminated most of the negatives I had for Amoled screens. I do wish the SIII had the same display technology the Note 2 uses but really for me it isn't a big issue any more. I just hate knowing I will be using a pentile display again after having sworn it off on the Nexus S, lol.

The other reason I am switching is because I love how smooth the phone feels. I don't like the sharp edges on the EVO, particularly the edge around the display right at the edge of the glass. I like the smooth feel all around on the SIII. This didn't really factor in my decision too much until recently though. My wife got a Note 2 and that made me realize I really like the feel of her phone(which is very similar to the SIII), it is just too large (and too expensive) for me.

Finally, a small part of me really dislikes that the EVO has known 4G performance issues. LTE is being rolled out to my area right now and I want the best chance of using it as possible without having to toggle radios all the time. That was a nightmare with my EVO Shift and NS4G using Wimax and I never want to mess with radio toggling again.

Anyway, I really think it all comes down to personal preference and how you need or want to use the phone as they are both really nice.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. You all make the SIII sound very tempting. I think I'll give HTC/Google another week and then I'll take a trip to Sprint store. Hopefully I'll have more luck than zqual and they will offer an exchange for me.

I am switching to a Galaxy S III on Monday.

There are a couple reasons but the main one is Sense has a 5 minute time out on their notification light so it shuts off even if you don't clear the notification after 5 minutes. Plus the light is kind of hard to see from a distance. I sit at a Microscope all day long and I need to be able to glance at my phone and know if someone has contacted me without having to take my hands off my work. I know the S3 has a nice, bright notification light and there are apps that actually work with it like Light Manager which allows me color customization for various notifications (Sense/EVO LTE is limited to green unless you run Cyanogenmod which has its own issues like dropping data randomly. Also, because The SIII has an AMOLED display I can use an app like noLED to get my notifications lit up on my screen without using much battery.

I don't particularly care for Pentile displays after owning the Nexus S 4G. That phone's display really bugged me because any orange or red app icons or whatever had a noticeable grainy look to them. Having looked at the Galaxy S III display at a Sprint store I no longer get that feeling. The much higher resolution has eliminated most of the negatives I had for Amoled screens. I do wish the SIII had the same display technology the Note 2 uses but really for me it isn't a big issue any more. I just hate knowing I will be using a pentile display again after having sworn it off on the Nexus S, lol.

The other reason I am switching is because I love how smooth the phone feels. I don't like the sharp edges on the EVO, particularly the edge around the display right at the edge of the glass. I like the smooth feel all around on the SIII. This didn't really factor in my decision too much until recently though. My wife got a Note 2 and that made me realize I really like the feel of her phone(which is very similar to the SIII), it is just too large (and too expensive) for me.

Finally, a small part of me really dislikes that the EVO has known 4G performance issues. LTE is being rolled out to my area right now and I want the best chance of using it as possible without having to toggle radios all the time. That was a nightmare with my EVO Shift and NS4G using Wimax and I never want to mess with radio toggling again.

Anyway, I really think it all comes down to personal preference and how you need or want to use the phone as they are both really nice.

I'd just like to point out that you no longer have to toggle to connect to LTE, the only problem there is now after JB, is that the phone does not hold really weak signals which could be seen as a benefit because my Dad's Note 2 ran 4G speedtest on a weak signal. The strong 3G outperformed his weak 4G.

• Like 1

If you are ok with getting rid of your phone (whether for an SIII or new EVO) try a factory reset first. I was having random issues with it and was getting quite frustrated. I did a factory reset and now my phone operates, well, simply amazing. Yeah I lost my progress with some games but that was about it since I sync most content with Google I was able to get it back right away. I'm very happy with the result and you may want to try it too. (This is of course assuming you haven't; if you have tried this, ignore my post :) )

The only con I've encountered is that I lost Flash player, and while most sites use HTML5 now, some still stream video using Flash.

U can always get the apk from the web

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Actually from Adobe themselves. Installed it yesteday on my Note2 and it works fine.

The last version of Flash Player works fine on Jelly Bean? Is that the 11.1.115.34?

There are a couple reasons but the main one is Sense has a 5 minute time out on their notification light so it shuts off even if you don't clear the notification after 5 minutes.e.

I'm not going to try and convince you to stay with the EVO, because most of your reasons are personal preference, but I do take issue with this point. I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, this 5 minute time out. I have never seen that happen on my EVO. I've left a notification on it all night and it's still blinking at me in the morning.

I have friends with Epics. Wasn't aware they were such bad RF performers, since I've never actually used one. Gives me hope for when they can get new phones! They complain a lot about bad reception in certain locations.

The Epic was horrible.... Didn't realize how bad it was until I picked up an Evo 3D. Have to say though my Evo LTE has been nothing less than fine in all accounts for me.

I went from the Evo LTE to the GS3. Although the radios in the GS3 are better I liked everything else about the Evo. After living with the GS3 for a few months I sold it off and switched carriers. I really want Sprint to succeed but here on their home turf they are still very disappointing.

I went from the Evo LTE to the GS3. Although the radios in the GS3 are better I liked everything else about the Evo. After living with the GS3 for a few months I sold it off and switched carriers. I really want Sprint to succeed but here on their home turf they are still very disappointing.

This is surprising. I've only heard great things about the LTE network in KC the past 2-3 months. Coverage sounds very good now and even getting denser.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

I really wish I could say the same. Trust me I would not have switched if everything was great. If you are outside or on the hwy LTE seems pretty good. But once you get inside you either lose it all together or whats worse my phone would be trying really hard to connect causing it to switch back an forth. The GS3 would get really hot and drain the battery when this was going on. I really hope once they add 800Mhz it will fix this issue. The other issue is in this area everything is so spread out and again at 1900Mhz it seems like Sprint needs more towers.

I am sure things will improve over time. We just couldn't wait any longer. The phones we had were just not cutting it for us.

I really wish I could say the same. Trust me I would not have switched if everything was great. If you are outside or on the hwy LTE seems pretty good. But once you get inside you either lose it all together or whats worse my phone would be trying really hard to connect causing it to switch back an forth. The GS3 would get really hot and drain the battery when this was going on. I really hope once they add 800Mhz it will fix this issue. The other issue is in this area everything is so spread out and again at 1900Mhz it seems like Sprint needs more towers.

I am sure things will improve over time. We just couldn't wait any longer. The phones we had were just not cutting it for us.

Yes, but it was not a full density 1900 deployment. But we won't fault you for having to do something that meets your needs better.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

The other issue is in this area everything is so spread out and again at 1900Mhz it seems like Sprint needs more towers.

In general, I strongly disagree. Sprint has more than appropriate site density throughout most of the KC metro. Where specifically are you located?

Honestly, I think that you bailed just before the getting got good. Even with the EVO LTE, coverage is now very solid. Sure, there are still gaps of EV-DO, but those are getting fewer and smaller by the week. This week alone, my travels have taken me to KCK, Grandview, and Gladstone. Nearly wall to wall LTE.

AJ

Very true. It was not and easy decision for me because even with their slower then average 3g I felt that had better coverage than anyone other then Verizon. And even compared to them Sprints was really good. Like when out in the middle of no where. Missouri and Kansas has a lot of "no where". Sprint would normally at least have coverage and most of the time 3G. ATT and T-M not so much.

I'm still going to be following along. I'm very interested in their development and may even come back once they get everything upgraded and whatnot.

In general, I strongly disagree. Sprint has more than appropriate site density throughout most of the KC metro. Where specifically are you located?

Honestly, I think that you bailed just before the getting got good. Even with the EVO LTE, coverage is now very solid. Sure, there are still gaps of EV-DO, but those are getting fewer and smaller by the week. This week alone, my travels have taken me to KCK, Grandview, and Gladstone. Nearly wall to wall LTE.

AJ

Sorry you posted this the same time I was posting my reply to S4GRU. Like I said while in the car I felt LTE was pretty good. But when I am in buildings like my house, work, and the numerous other places I go. I wouldn't have LTE and if I did like here at my office it would be worthless. The GS3 would heat up and die. And my speeds would be worse then if I just turned LTE off. So pretty much anytime I was at work (Corporate Woods Overland Park) I would have to go into my settings and turn off LTE. Then once I was about to leave turn it back on. Then at home I'm in a fringe area (Greenwood) I have an airave and the GS3 did't like to stay connected to it and would drop my calls. So I tried turning it off and it just made it worse. Sprint tried to upgrade the software to no avail.

Now in places that should of had lte without any problems. Again inside. I would try to cycle air plane mode and it would normally connect for a while but then drop to 3g again. These are places like power and light, Arrow Head, Live Strong, areas of Blue Springs and Grain Valley, all the way to Olathe and Gardner. I'm all over the place. I know there are a lot of places not live yet but I would expect to get a lot more service then what I was getting. I hardly ever received LTE once I went indoors.

Now don't get me wrong. I still really like Sprint. No hard feelings and their support staff was always very nice even if they sometimes didn't have a clue what was going on. And the other networks don't seem to fair that much better. T-Mobile has a REALLY hard time around here. In my office there is now only one person still on that next because to even make a phone call they either had to come stand by the window or go outside. I have seen ATT get over loaded at every sporting event good luck even sending a text during a Chiefs game. I will say that their HSPA+ is pretty impressive around here.

Now I switched to Verizon because I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into with them. And although the grass in not always greener I am pretty happy overall. I spend a lot of time in places that are far out side the city. I go down to Truman lake and places like Osceola on the Missouri side. Sprint would come close but would fall short in both of these areas. And I would end up roaming onto Verizon. Then I go out to places like Fort Scott and Manhattan in Kansas. When inside these towns Sprint was always really good but when you get outside of town that's when sprint would fall short again.

I can't say I was ever disgruntled or anything. I really like Sprint and I liked that I could roam on Verizon in these areas. However the issues closer to home on my day to day routine just got to the point it wasn't worth it for me anymore.

Sorry for taking this thread WAY off topic.

In my opinion if you have the Evo LTE keep it over the GS3.

Well, stitch, just as someone can hope for heads but theoretically flip a coin and have it come up tails a dozen times in a row, I think that you were, unfortunately, just in many of the wrong places at the wrong times. Corporate Woods. Arrowhead Stadium. Livestrong Sporting Park. The Corporate Woods sites (atop the Doubletree Hotel and on a monopole near 103rd St), the Truman Sports Complex site, the Kansas Speedway site and The Legends site -- those sites are simply not live yet. But they are coming very soon.

Now, as Robert more or less suggests, you gotta do what you gotta do. And in many ways, VZW is not a bad choice in KC because it is neck and neck with T-Mobile for fourth place among the big four in KC, so network congestion could be less of an issue. But following the VZW-SpectrumCo-Cox transaction, I cannot recommend that anyone do business with VZ or VZW. By jumping into bed with Big Cable, VZ has kowtowed to CAPEX averse Wall Street investors and abdicated its Telecommunications Act of 1996 responsibility/promise to compete in the wired broadband market. In short, VZ/VZW is an unethical asshat. However, I know that is a lot of research to do and information to digest for the average consumer.

AJ