Sprint and TeleCheck

jaybiz81

So I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

I have done automatic bill pay with my account from ING Direct for the better part of two years. In September, I stopped because I needed a little flexibility.

Well, this month I go to make a one-time payment with Sprint from my checking account and bam, transaction declined by TeleCheck. I know that I had no bounced checks so I was confused.

Upon calling TeleCheck, they said it was because i was trying to submit too high of a payment ($200) with no history on their end, and that they show no outstanding problems other than a lack of history. TeleCheck says they show only one payment via check with my ING Direct account over two years ago.

Does anyone know if Sprint has recently signed up with TeleCheck? It was frustrating to say the least, to be denied making a payment with an account I've used forever with Sprint, after only a four-month hiatus.

Must be new?

Smaller amounts of $25 and $75 (at their recommendation) were approved with the balance going on my debit card.

So odd....

Ah, telecheck... I remember having a check declined by those jerks and calling them up and chewing on some poor csr when I was younger.

Nothing like feeling like a total deadbeat when your check is declined...

You can thank all the subprime deadbeats on sprint in the past for them using telecheck. JK....people really still pay with checks? You can't float checks like you could back in the day, so what's the difference between check and debit?

I use auto draft with my discover card...make 2% cash back on utilities and pay it off when it comes in.

You can thank all the subprime deadbeats on sprint in the past for them using telecheck. JK....people really still pay with checks? You can't float checks like you could back in the day, so what's the difference between check and debit?

I use auto draft with my discover card...make 2% cash back on utilities and pay it off when it comes in.

Hah wow I feel old (and I'm only 31). Nah you can still float a check. I was actually trying to pay my bill on a Saturday knowing that my direct deposit goes through on Monday. I've done it before and was trying to again, heh.

Don't pay in a corp sprint store we run it as a electronic transfer and hand the check back so it comes out instantly.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly.

Retailers and businesses have adopted processing solutions that run the check as soon as immediately and as quickly as 24 hours or less. Gone are the days of the checks being carried to a bank to process. The "float" was previously the gap between the time it took for the retailer to carry the check to the bank, bank to process, other bank to respond, process and return funds.

Not only are processing simplification solutions more prevalent, but checks that are carried to banks are also being run more quickly. My employer use to only guarantee funds processing prior to 2pm (I work for a bank)...however, given competition in the marketplace and software upgrades we did, checks and funds are now processed the same all day. How? They previously shipped all check via mail to a central processing location for final processing. Now? They do 100% in the branch. More work for employees, less waiting time for customers.

So anyway, you might pay by check to a retailer that doesnt run check processing on the weekends, holds the check a few days, or works with older infrastructure to save money, but time is numbered for them in the future.

So, the rule of thumb should be do not pay by check with funds that you do not currently have. Instead, use a credit card and take advantage of the billing cycle and grace period. Or simply wait and pay the bill later, even if that means paying the bill late.

AJ

• Like 3

And it is not just retailers either. Since paychecks are now direct deposited, I could take a while getting the few stray personal checks I receive to the bank to deposit. ( I hate going to the bank!) But with my bank's Android app, trips to the bank with checks to deposit are basically nonexistent.

Open the app, take a picture of the front of the back, one of the back, hit a button. A little while later receive a confirmation email. Check deposited.