Boost Mobile Vs. Sprint

cripton805

I'm a little curious about why Boost Mobiles data connectivity is faster than my Sprint 3g. Here in the same city and phones near each other.

2x Boost SGll's - Can stream video

My Sprint SGlll - Can bearly load web pages

My Girls Sprint iPhone 5 - Can bearly load web pages

It cool that my bro in law pays less and seems to be getting more than his sister and I.

Could this be related to the hardware or the service?

A simple explanation will suffice. Thanks

I'm a little curious about why Boost Mobiles data connectivity is faster than my Sprint 3g. Here in the same city and phones near each other.

2x Boost SGll's - Can stream video

My Sprint SGlll - Can bearly load web pages

My Girls Sprint iPhone 5 - Can bearly load web pages

It cool that my bro in law pays less and seems to be getting more than his sister and I.

Could this be related to the hardware or the service?

A simple explanation will suffice. Thanks

There is no true way to say that they are actually experiencing faster speeds than you. Way too many variables, location, sector connected to,ect. The only difference you should ever experience if you were connected to the exact same tower and exact same conditions would be phone hardware related, but even then, I don't think there is really a difference there. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Are they in the same area? Can you confirm they're on the same cell site? Are you browsing the same sites?

The reason one would be faster than the other, (if it really is), is likely due to one phone being connected to a different site than the other (or one is downloading something in the background).

I have 2 friends that have the OG Evo, and they use twice the data than new EVO. There was a article done on that let's get back to the speeds, I highly doubt it but I got a buddy on virgin that gets pings about 100 when I have 262 in that area. And folks that's all day long every other day

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The phones right next to each other. I would assume they would be connected to the same tower and no downloads.

I noticed it over youtube and we decided to check our phones after my GS3 wouldn't even begin to stream because data was too slow. Which is the norm around here.

The thing I found that was the only key factor was that both Sprint phones had the same issue and both Boost phones were faster even if they both were GSll's

The phones right next to each other. I would assume they would be connected to the same tower and no downloads.

I noticed it over youtube and we decided to check our phones after my GS3 wouldn't even begin to stream because data was too slow. Which is the norm around here.

The thing I found that was the only key factor was that both Sprint phones had the same issue and both Boost phones were faster even if they both were GSll's

The only thing I can think of is checking to make sure all the prls are up to date. If they are not then phones can be right next to each other and be on different towers.
  • Like 1

The only thing I can think of is checking to make sure all the prls are up to date. If they are not then phones can be right next to each other and be on different towers.

Nope, this is a PRL myth that has been repeated for years. Assuming native Sprint coverage, different PRLs do not cause devices to connect to different sites. That is not a function of a PRL.

AJ

Nope, this is a PRL myth that has been repeated for years. Assuming native Sprint coverage, different PRLs do not cause devices to connect to different sites. That is not a function of a PRL.

AJ

So what is the function of prl?

So what is the function of prl?

Network acquisition. The PRL instructs the device to search the appropriate channels. Assuming more than one network is found in the search, the PRL sets which network takes priority.

AJ

It might be possibly that the internet connect on the Boost device is being run through a Boost proxy that is further away than the one used by the Sprint device. AFAIK, this was, and still it, the case for Virgin devices(at least for 3G).

Network acquisition. The PRL instructs the device to search the appropriate channels. Assuming more than one network is found in the search, the PRL sets which network takes priority.

AJ

OK. The PRL sets network priority. Couldn't that require a query to multiple towers?

OK. The PRL sets network priority. Couldn't that require a query to multiple towers?

Nope, every native network site in the market is at the very same priority. Roaming coverage, however, is set at a lower priority.

AJ

Nope, every native network site in the market is at the very same priority. Roaming coverage, however, is set at a lower priority.

AJ

What I am thinking is when multiple towers are in range of the device or a prl update has taken a network off the list effectively taking a tower out of the system. Am I totally wrong on this?

What I am thinking is when multiple towers are in range of the device or a prl update has taken a network off the list effectively taking a tower out of the system. Am I totally wrong on this?

Contrary to popular belief, a PRL update rarely changes very much and probably does not affect your home market at all.

So, sure, a PRL update might lower in priority or even drop a certain roaming network in a given market. But those roaming sites were never in the equation unless a device was actually roaming. For example, when a Sprint device is on the native network, it has no idea if there are no VZW roaming sites in range or 100 sites.

AJ

• Like 1

Contrary to popular belief, a PRL update rarely changes very much and probably does not affect your home market at all.

So, sure, a PRL update might lower in priority or even drop a certain roaming network in a given market. But those roaming sites were never in the equation unless a device was actually roaming. For example, when a Sprint device is on the native network, it has no idea if there are no VZW roaming sites in range or 100 sites.

AJ

Now I feel stupid. Prl applies to roaming because Native Is always first. Gotcha.

Boost Mobile devices do not run faster on the Sprint network than Sprint devices. I've seen people claim this, as well as claim the opposite. I've also heard people say Virgin is faster, and the opposite. I've also heard that the iPhone 4S was faster, and the opposite.

The proxy defined can have an effect on ping times. So the default used on Boost may allow for faster ping times, but nothing astronomically different.

The biggest causes of why two devices side by side connected to the same network can have different speeds is:

1. They are using different speed test servers
  2. They are connected to different sites
  3. They are connected to different sectors on the same site
  4. They are connected to different channels (carriers) on the same sector/site

There are just so many variables, that anecdotal observations are not enough.

Robert

• Like 3