OldSpottingThread (Ericsson Style) [Abandoned]

Digiblur...can you add pics of the Network Vision cabinets in the OP since the other threads for ALU and Samsung contain pics of the Panels, RRUs and cabinets to give a full picture of what people should be looking for when verifying if a site has been upgraded with Network Vision.

Does anyone know if this is a NV cabinet?

I saw two cabinets that looked just like this at a tower near me. They have been removed and two larger cabinets installed, so I'm guessing it's some legacy equipment cabinet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also love to know the model of those panels. I'm guessing these aren't NSN Liquid Radio, as those are rumored to be delayed, but the BTS is definitely their Flexi.

I'm pretty sure T-Mobile isn't acquiring 700Mhz. They're 99.9% PCS + AWS.

Here in Canada TELUS uses the flexi for Lte and it looks exactly like that. I gotta admit, it's pretty cool stuff with release 10 and all. It also performs great.

Looks like this tower is supplied by fiber as the backhaul,  fiber distribution terminal (circled in yellow).  Looks like its on a passive optical network (whoever is providing the backhaul).  

Edited by JossMan

Looks like this tower is supplied by fiber as the backhaul, fiber distribution terminal (circled in yellow). Looks like its on a passive optical network (whoever is providing the backhaul).

I really doubt that has to do with backhaul as it makes zero sense to run it up the tower when the basestation is on the ground.

• Like 1

Looks like this tower is supplied by fiber as the backhaul, fiber distribution terminal (circled in yellow). Looks like its on a passive optical network (whoever is providing the backhaul).

I really doubt that has to do with backhaul as it makes zero sense to run it up the tower when the basestation is on the ground.

Maybe like the good old days when you held your cell phone up for better signal?

Looks like this tower is supplied by fiber as the backhaul,  fiber distribution terminal (circled in yellow).  Looks like its on a passive optical network (whoever is providing the backhaul).  

That's an AT&T sector, and no the backhaul is not terminated behind the antennas.  There is separate fiber that goes to the base of the site for the backhaul, and then fiber that goes from the base station up to the RRU.

Can anyone tell me where Sprint is located on this mono-pole tower?  This tower is about 2 blocks from my house and is suppose to be slated for network vision upgrades, I don't think there has been any activity as far as work being done to it yet.  I can't see the basestation due to the "landscaping and shrubs" surrounding the base to hide the equipment due to the tower being right in the middle of a neighborhood.  There is about 500' of fiber coiled up on a pole across the street from this tower. What should I look for once upgrades begin...if they do...

Jani Hammitt Drive, Bristol, VA 24201

Edited by lilotimz

The pictures aren't great but someone has some RRUs there.

There isn't anyway to tell if its AT&T or Verzion?  I'll try to get some better pics of the site when I get some extra time.  I don't think Ericsson has upgraded this site yet I'm still sitting on eHRPD, I do get a rouge LTE signal but the signal is terrible (-115dB). 

Middle is sprint. Already been NV'd.

There isn't anyway to tell if its AT&T or Verzion? I'll try to get some better pics of the site when I get some extra time. I don't think Ericsson has upgraded this site yet I'm still sitting on eHRPD, I do get a rouge LTE signal but the signal is terrible (-115dB).

• Like 1

Middle is sprint. Already been NV'd.

If it has the LTE signal is bad and I'm only 2 blocks from this site.  It's possible the tower/basestation has been upgraded but the backhaul hasn't been completed, like I said there is large spool of fiber hanging on a pole across the street from this site, but I have no clue if the fiber is for the tower or not.  

Very possible.    If you can post a pic of the spool of fiber.   Legacy panels are still attached. Look for them to be removed in the incoming days/weeks. Turning on of LTE can be days,weeks or even months.  

If it has the LTE signal is bad and I'm only 2 blocks from this site.  It's possible the tower/basestation has been upgraded but the backhaul hasn't been completed, like I said there is large spool of fiber hanging on a pole across the street from this site, but I have no clue if the fiber is for the tower or not.  

Very possible.    If you can post a pic of the spool of fiber.   Legacy panels are still attached. Look for them to be removed in the incoming days/weeks. Turning on of LTE can be days,weeks or even months.  

I'll snap a picture of the spool of fiber that is hanging on the pole across from this tower, I think the fiber belongs to BVU OptiNet which is a municipal FTTH broadband company here in Bristol, VA but I'm not 100% sure.  I know that WindStream has a map that shows where there fiber runs to cell towers as backhaul and this tower is one of them.  I don't know if WindStreams is providing the backhaul using BVU OptiNet's fiber network or Charter Communications, its just odd that there is a large amount of fiber spooled up like that.

• 1 month later...

I don't see anything that looks like NV or even legacy for that matter there.

Thanks, hopefully work is going to start very soon, it appears that there are boxes of equipment on the ground around the cabinets.  Just wanted to make sure I did not miss something at top.

Noticed that work is finally starting on a site at my college. New panels and RRUs are assembled and laying on the ground. The thing I don't get, It looks like there are 7 RRUs per sector. Each panel assembly already has 3 RRUs attached to it with two on top and one on bottom, but then the new rack they are going to mount also has RRUs mounted on it. They have the new rack in 3 sections on the ground, with each section having 4 additional RRU looking devices attached. Anybody else seen anything like this? Usually most Ericsson sites have either 3 or 4 RRUs per sector. This is a Sprint only site.

Legacy Equipment on tower

47z4Bzm.jpg

Panel and RRU assemblies

CBp62ZE.png

One section of the new rack

V9lzDopl.png

Noticed that work is finally starting on a site at my college. New panels and RRUs are assembled and laying on the ground. The thing I don't get, It looks like there are 7 RRUs per sector. Each panel assembly already has 3 RRUs attached to it with two on top and one on bottom, but then the new rack they are going to mount also has RRUs mounted on it. They have the new rack in 3 sections on the ground, with each section having 4 additional RRU looking devices attached. Anybody else seen anything like this? Usually most Ericsson sites have either 3 or 4 RRUs per sector. This is a Sprint only site.

Legacy Equipment on tower

Panel and RRU assemblies

One section of the new rack

Interesting antennas..wish you had a better zoom so I could see who makes them.  Back to the RRUs though.  How many RRUs total per sector?   Those other boxes are ESMR filters on the bottom RRUs.  Every site has those that has 800mhz.  That box sandwiched in between the two RRUs is a dual-g combiner that allows them to hook up two RRUs to one part of the sector.  Every 4 sector site (high capacity site) has those.  See here for a better look at the boxes you are curious about.  This is a high capacity site.

NL03ME002_1.jpg

Interesting antennas..wish you had a better zoom so I could see who makes them.  Back to the RRUs though.  How many RRUs total per sector?   Those other boxes are ESMR filters on the bottom RRUs.  Every site has those that has 800mhz.  That box sandwiched in between the two RRUs is a dual-g combiner that allows them to hook up two RRUs to one part of the sector.  Every 4 sector site (high capacity site) has those.  See here for a better look at the boxes you are curious about.  This is a high capacity site.

If I remember correctly, the boxes said Anderson on the side, could be wrong though. Never seen the stuff on the ground before. It looks like it would 5 RRUs per sector, the three attached to the panel assembly and the two additional ones on the rack assembly. That was just put together over the weekend so it will probably be installed either this week or next. If it still happens to be on the ground next time I am there I will get a better ground pic.