OldSpottingThread (Ericsson Style) [Abandoned]

That depends on how you look at it. Beam width is usually specified as degrees of arc at the half power points. In other words, if it is a 65 degree panel, then the power response is -3 dB at ±32.5 degrees. But the polar response does not stop on a dime. If it did, a three sector site with 65 degree panels would produce coverage that looked a lot like a three bladed propeller -- big coverage gaps in between sectors. So, no, even though the power response is -3 dB at ±32.5 degrees, the polar response continues out to ±60 degrees and beyond to cover the entire 120 degree sector.

AJ

Okay yeah I was clearly in another world last night with my posts. Lol

Now would you never want the sectors on the same tower to over lap as that would cause interference...or would that only be an issue with adjacent towers and not wanting that signal to overlap another towers?...

Also was thinking that when you add the point that the 3 sectors are not back to back on each other that would cause gaps in coverage between each sector close to the tower... But what you described rules that out.

*it being late last night and cocktail hour already happened is my excuse for the silly comments about 120 deg overlapping when it goes out... Honestly dunno wtf was going through my head then to say that as its pretty simple geometry there...lol DOH!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

A protractor? Vertex? Stems? Arc? are these drink names or was I absent from class when the professor was teaching this?

Thanks for the lesson...

ppl wonder why there are some that are smarted than others... is called reading and there is lots of that here.

Now would you never want the sectors on the same tower to over lap as that would cause interference...or would that only be an issue with adjacent towers and not wanting that signal to overlap another towers?...

Actually, with unity frequency reuse, which both CDMA2000 and LTE employ, adjacent sectors/sites always overlap with each other, hence interfere with one another to some degree. That is simply a fact of life.

You can see this in action if you observe CDMA2000 PN offsets or LTE serving cell IDs as you circumnavigate a site. The PN offset and/or serving cell ID will not flip immediately with each sector transition.

Essentially eliminating interference between adjacent sectors/sites would require one of two unpalatable options:

1. Unity frequency reuse would have to go away -- a different carrier would have to be deployed on every adjacent sector. But that would reduce overall capacity dramatically and make larger bandwidth LTE deployment impossible.
  2. Alternatively, adjacent sectors/sites could have beam widths, downtilt, and power adjusted so that they never overlapped. But that would create three bladed hotspots of coverage with gaps in between sectors and sites.

So, in a single frequency network, overlap/interference is a dance of compromise. Fortunately, Sprint was built from the ground up as a single frequency network, so network planning took these concerns into account from the beginning.

T-Mobile, on the other hand, faces some challenges, as it tries to operate a network reconciling the frequency reuse of GSM with the unity frequency reuse of W-CDMA and LTE. I would not be surprised if T-Mobile GSM really goes in the tank in the process.

Also was thinking that when you add the point that the 3 sectors are not back to back on each other that would cause gaps in coverage between each sector close to the tower... But what you described rules that out.

Yes, the three sector panels are physically separated, but at typical distances from the site, those three panels are effectively a point source.

AJ

• Like 1

Here is a Samsung sector. The antenna is a Powerwave, the KMWs are not as slim. On the lower left you see the unused fiber and power runs from the hybrid cable. The long black things are fiber cones.

20121130_093502.jpg

Image isn't showing up.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Apparently I can't link back to xda, so I hosted it elsewhere, and have a few extra pics too since I'm on the work computer

Rooftop behind stealthing

20121130_093502.jpg

RRH mounted to monopole

Antenna.jpg

High capacity sector

hi-cap%2520Antenna.jpg

• Like 8

I got one for you guys... figure out what those little black domes are I keep seeing on AT&T's racks around here. It's not a light either. Scroll up and look at the picture with the panel and single RRU and look just to the left of it.

1. GPS- But way to big for that

2.Remote reciver to montor signal levels

3. Most likely a colo 800 Public safety

4. Xm/Sirius repeater

If you give me the ASR # I can look in the FCC Database

Edited by ddimit

This is a pretty awesome topic so I wanted to contribute some awesome stuff. :)

These are the new Ericsson AIR Integrated Antennas with integrated radio tops. Notice no RRU. :) T-Mobile is exclusively deploying these as far as I know. They're dual mode 2x2 MIMO, Release 10 stuff. Snapped a few shots earlier today:

11gk5.jpgMQL2G.jpgf8ZdH.jpg

Later I did my research and here is the official stuff:

eLqBr.jpgltXqj.jpg

JzwtD.pngfCENz.jpgbUwAg.png

• Like 9

This is a pretty awesome topic so I wanted to contribute some awesome stuff. :)

These are the new Ericsson AIR Integrated Antennas with integrated radio tops. Notice no RRU. :) T-Mobile is exclusively deploying these as far as I know. They're dual mode 2x2 MIMO, Release 10 stuff. Snapped a few shots earlier today:

Later I did my research and here is the official stuff

Man, those new integrated panels are hot. I know I'm a dork, but I've got panel envy. :)

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmm, looking at those pics, are those integrated antennas or Braun electric shavers? You be the judge.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Hehe never thought that I'd hear a "panel envy" term in my life :tu:

What's interesting is these panels are installed along the elevated NYC subway stations, on the roof tops, so as you're waiting for the train to arrive, you're a few feet away from Ericsson's best lol :) Signal level -30dBm... I feel radiated B)

• Like 1

...you're a few feet away from Ericsson's best lol :) Signal level -30dBm... I feel radiated B)

Oh, oh, oh, I got a new pun.

Now, that is a close shave.

:P

AJ

• Like 2

I had a friend who was an RF tech, and his wife used to joke with his daily exposure that her signal bars would go up when he got near her phone. :hah:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 6

Does anyone know what company did the NV in Tampa, FL?

Ericsson is NV Contractor for the Tampa area. They are hiring local contractors to do the actual work.

oh ok thanks. I have LTE here and it's great but my bars keep going up and down.

Probably antenna adjustments as they continue to activate more towers.

Probably antenna adjustments as they continue to activate more towers.

oh ok because I have an airwave in the because there 3G signal in my house was only about 2-3 bars. I turned off the airwave and the LTE signal give me all bars sometimes but drops down to 3 the most.