OldSpottingThread (Ericsson Style) [Abandoned]

Top - Sprint Legacy 3G.

Middle - ATT Ericsson modernized HSPA / LTE panels

Bottom - T-mobile Ercisson AIR LTE / HSPA pannels

Microwave antenna - Probably Clearwire Wimax that is behind the leaves on that tree.

Top - Sprint Legacy 3G.

Microwave antenna - Probably Clearwire Wimax that is behind the leaves on that tree.

any news is better than no news.

Top - Sprint Legacy 3G.

Wow, that top bare looking one is sprint legacy... Looks like the signal should be bad(as it is now)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Wow, that top bare looking one is sprint legacy... Looks like the signal should be bad(as it is now)

No, siginal is good. This is like 1 block from my work.

Legacy Sprint panels are by no means bad. It's just that the backhaul linking to these sites are not up to par which results in the low speeds we come to expect from overburdened legacy 3g sites. Give a site like the one pictured above a new base station, 6 RRU's, and upgraded backhaul and you got yourself a LTE GMO site.

Couldn't edit my post on top.. this is the whole tower.

P1000553.JPG

Very top rack is iDen panels. Should be decommissioned and removed within months as the June 30 iDen shutdown date is fast approaching.

Very top rack is iDen panels. Should be decommissioned and removed within months as the June 30 iDen shutdown date is fast approaching.

Chance of that becoming Sprint 4G LTE?

None. Sprint LTE will be added on the Sprint rack, second from the top.

Or Sprint moves their rack from the second to the top.

I suppose that is possible if they renegotiated the lease on the tower space.

It's happened a few times. Not common though.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Why? Almost all Sprint legacy is two panels per sector. That's what I see here. Nothing to indicate a bad signal in this pic.

Why? Almost all Sprint legacy is two panels per sector. That's what I see here. Nothing to indicate a bad signal in this pic.

The signal just west of 70 & 256 to Hamilton Rd in Columbus is always bad.... I drop to 0 bars with dropped calls west of that area...

Thats what I always wondered why other carriers have more panels on towers than sprint. Almost all sprint towers here in Miami have 1 panel per sector, where as other carriers have 4-5 per sector. Is this due to different technologies and/or more traffic the cell site serves??

• Like 1

Thats what I always wondered why other carriers have more panels on towers than sprint. Almost all sprint towers here in Miami have 1 panel per sector, where as other carriers have 4-5 per sector. Is this due to different technologies and/or more traffic the cell site serves??

It's mostly because of different technology and bands. However, traffic is also a factor. AT&T and VZW have double the customers.

U got to remember, that att and verizon. They both have a lot of money, so they decided lets throw up some antennas on a rack when we upgrade to lte. Then add another cabinet on the ground. I know I have heard that verizon also uses different haul for 3g and fiber for 4g. They waste so much money it is crazy, even though sprint is playing catch up on lte. They have a plan that helps them make more money in the long run. That is what network vision is all about, I hope this helps them keep unlimited internet. Because I love not having to worry about what I use my phone for. On a side note, att and verizon have realized this is really smart way to increase profits. U will be seeing a network vision from them soon, I know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this site for a few months, and finally stopped by my local Sprint tower to take some pictures, and see if anything is new. I don't think anything on the tower itself is new, but it looks like the cabling in the first picture is fresh. I'm curious what all is included on the tower though. We're a WiMax market already, so I'm making an assumption that something on there is for that, but I don't know much about it otherwise.

8832894124_5149ebe207_c.jpg

8832888270_bc8f7736b7_c.jpg

Well I'm at charlotte motor speedway for the NASCAR race camping in the infield this weekend and took a pic of one of the COWs... Never seen one like this here before... There were 2 non branded COWs like the one pictured... Then 2 sprint COWs that were NOT LTE compliant as they only had 2 lines feeding the panels...

Never seen the giant square before.... Odd they put the panels sideways.... I assume for more coverage but they were the only truck set up this way as the sprint ones were straight up and down...

Posted Image

Posted Image

*note the horizontal panels are on another COW ill post pic of that on trip back here shortly.

*Note: the pic here is ATT COW btw that I've been told by the Verizon worker as he claimed the others were his.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Do they have LTE at the track?

Sent from my EVO LTE

When I was in the stands last week they did and it was great... Inside the track in the infield....not so much...

There are 3 trucks totalling 5 monopoles that the closest 3 poles are all Verizon and the very end 2 in the back are ATT so I'm told. The two in the middle are sprint ones...

Posted Image

Then here closer on the angle set on 2 of the Verizon poles/panels....

Posted Image

8832888270_bc8f7736b7_c.jpg

After looking at a satellite picture, the topmost section on this tower was only added in the last couple of years. Anyone have an idea what all types of RRUs are on this tower?

After looking at a satellite picture, the topmost section on this tower was only added in the last couple of years. Anyone have an idea what all types of RRUs are on this tower?

Top looks to be Clearwire. Beyond that don't know.

Sent from my HTC ONE