Network Vision/LTE - Toledo Market (Toledo, Bowling Green, Findlay, Lima, Port Clition)

keelerman8042

If you see 26640/8640 for the earfcn in the lte engineering screen, chances are good that 10x10 has made a splash. The 10x10 B25 carrier has expanded greatly here over the last few weeks, so these wheelin' and dealin' spectrum swaps are now being realized at the consumer end.

i dont actually need to look at my engineering screen, i use a note 3 and it only supports B25, i have not upgraded yet because i need SVLTE despite people at sprint and here on S4GRU saying its not necessary or they would have implemented it already to modern phones.

these speeds are great though, easily compete with red and blue (and beat them sometimes) when you have a good signal.

Edited by stuckinohio1

• 7 months later...

i switched to red but was wondering if there were any updates in the lima area? B26 or B41 being added, id like to come back to sprint some day but we need some improvements here first before im convinced to come back,

With Toledo now keeping track of network upgrades now, it's been found that many areas of the market now have a 10x10 MHz carrier for B25, and even some areas that have an additional 5x5 carrier for capacity. B26 has pretty much gone marketwide now too. blkkatana would probably have a better idea of what's around Lima.

Not sure how well VZW is fairing in the unlimited game, but AT&T seems to be suffering terribly in parts of Northeast Ohio from my observation. I use an AT&T sim mostly for testing purposes. Lately, I've had to push the device to HSPA just to have uninterrupted music streaming. I'm very glad I've got Sprint now to be honest.

• Like 1

With Toledo now keeping track of network upgrades now, it's been found that many areas of the market now have a 10x10 MHz carrier for B25, and even some areas that have an additional 5x5 carrier for capacity. B26 has pretty much gone marketwide now too. blkkatana would probably have a better idea of what's around Lima.

Not sure how well VZW is fairing in the unlimited game, but AT&T seems to be suffering terribly in parts of Northeast Ohio from my observation. I use an AT&T sim mostly for testing purposes. Lately, I've had to push the device to HSPA just to have uninterrupted music streaming. I'm very glad I've got Sprint now to be honest.

verizon is not fairing well, speeds are sub 10mbps, in lima very "certain" places can get up to about 60Mbps but thats with line of sight of the tower itself, verizon has been hit hard because they got complacent and now they are paying for it.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

T-Mobile has done a lot within the past year in the Toledo and NW Ohio area! Seems as they've started upgrading the west half of Toledo quite rapidly recently, and converting Sprint sites. I've found 2 Sprint keeps, which are now eNBs 117311 and 117292. Can't wait for some more rural Sprint towers to be converted to T-Mobile native, as a lot of rural coverage in this area is relying on Sprint. Density is amazing with the addition of Sprint keeps, with a lot of Sprint keeps being just down the street or LOS of the nearest T-Mobile site.

N41 coming along very nicely in the Toledo area, with a lot of coverage & n41 density added. Backhaul is adequate in all of this region, since most sites can hit 700mbps from my testing. Downtown seems to have some congestion on N41 since I max out at 300mbps on most sites (downtown T-Mobile testing video). Some sites (like 109293) have taken quite a few months to get a backhaul bump to gig so a 250mbps cap on newly upgraded n41 does often occur. Very nice to see that rural sites are getting upgrades to n41 as well, which should boost T-Mobile's Home Internet customer base. Over the summer, it seems as T-Mobile has done a significant backhaul upgrade to most of their sites, including old 12/66 and 66 only towers. A notable example of this is eNB 27071, which used to have 100+ms ping and speeds of about 10/50 during the day. Now it performs much better with consistent 16-17ms ping and speeds spiking up to 70 during the day.

LTE B2 has also had a spectrum increase earlier this year, going from 5 -> 15, and then later 15 -> 20. This has allowed many rural 2 + 12 sites to finally be able to go above 20mbps consistently, and can deliver 150mbps on 2,12,71 sites along the interstate. However, I've experienced much slower upload on B2 20mhz compared to B66 20mhz, which can consistently do 50-60 up on good signal.

In comparison to Verizon and AT&T, T-Mobile is definitely the most active carrier in this area. Verizon is definitely working really hard in Detroit, as I've found plenty of VZ CBand sites along i-75 during my quick trip up to Detroit a couple days ago. However in this area T-Mobile is definitely gaining on the other two, not only in speed but also reliability. I have stronger indoor coverage with T-Mobile than Verizon in most places. T-Mobile also is at a huge spectrum ownership advantage over the other two as T-Mobile has 2 LTE 20mhz midband channels, and of course access to all 194mhz of b41. AT&T has a lot of fragmented spectrum, and is doing n66 5mhz on a few sites closer to downtown. Verizon has deployed CBRS in many places but it hasn't made much of an impact on the network as much as T-Mobile's n41 has. Verizon is only so good in Detroit because they own so much spectrum up there.

I'm excited to see what T-Mobile will do in the coming year. Fixing up rural with Sprint conversions would be a priority before the Sprint LTE shutdown next summer. They also need to enable n41 SA and n71 + n41 aggregation, since I've found the main reason for short n41 range is due to the LTE midband anchor dropping off before the n41 channel does. Better backhaul and small cells would be much welcome. Given the state of C-Band availability for ATT and Verizon and Toledo not being in in the early 2022 markets for C-Band launch, T-Mobile has time to get n41 everywhere and in rural. They just need to do it.

Edited by cooltech6597
Just too good at spelling
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm starting to find gig+ sites around this area... here are the 2 I found in my area:

- my home tower (a specific tower in west Toledo)

It used to be 12/66 but got upgraded sometime in June with all the regular modernized bands, but I really didn't expect it to get gigabit backhaul since the tower's midband range is really bad, and I'm willing to bet there is barely any traffic on the tower (I usually get 120mbps pre-upgrades on b66 20mhz + b12 5mhz at -100 rsrp). Here is a speedtest.

- A tower along the highway near Perrysburg (eNB 23139)

This site got upgraded sometime last year, and it would always cap out at 250mbps on n41 100mhz until sometime last fall, where I could consistently hit 600+mbps on it. Now it can hit more than 1000mbps, given you have good signal. This site serves some neighborhoods and some busy shopping areas, so it makes sense T-Mobile upped the backhaul for this one. Here is a speedtest.

I'm glad its coming to this area, hopefully I can find more of these sites... I have plotted these sites on this Google Mymaps if anyone is interested: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/edit?mid=1HbGFtjv6cblda17OCE7k_73928zncy0&usp=sharing

• Like 1

I also took a trip to Put-In-Bay near the end of June and T-Mobile is running b2,66 on a monopole (eNB 34001) for covering the southern part of the island and roaming on Sprint for coverage on the north part of the island (eNB 697136). For some reason when I arrived there in the morning at 11am my phone defaulted to Sprint band 41 and I had no internet connectivity. I tried airplane mode reset, turning off dual sim, etc, but Sprint band 41 did not have any throughput whatsoever. I forced band 25 and I had a data connection. Then later in the day Sprint band 41 started working again. Not sure what was going on when I first got there...

• 5 months later...

I’ve found 6 gig+ sites in the greater toledo area (5 are on this map, 1 is a certain tower that happens to serve my home)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HbGFtjv6cblda17OCE7k_73928zncy0&ll=41.62869080014765%2C-83.53590555996206&z=11

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cooltech6597 said:

I’ve found 6 gig+ sites in the greater toledo area (5 are on this map, 1 is a certain tower that happens to serve my home)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HbGFtjv6cblda17OCE7k_73928zncy0&ll=41.62869080014765%2C-83.53590555996206&z=11

That's pretty impressive! T-Mobile is so horribly backhaul limited in most areas. I really wish they would get to upgrading back haul on a bunch of their urban/suburban sites. 

5 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

That's pretty impressive! T-Mobile is so horribly backhaul limited in most areas. I really wish they would get to upgrading back haul on a bunch of their urban/suburban sites. 

I’ve heard they scale backhaul according to how many home internet users are in the area, and it makes a lot of sense a bunch of sites here have upgraded backhaul because we have a horrible local cable monopoly (Buckeye Broadband) and no one likes them… they’re rolling out fiber right now but the prices are still horrible (https://www.buckeyebroadband.com/sites/default/files/2022-11/ratecard010123.pdf)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cooltech6597 said:

I wonder when b71 will disappear since it's already going away in some other markets

Where has B71 been shut down? I would have expected that to linger since I don't believe VoNR is in widespread use yet. Certainly not on my phone.

10 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Where has B71 been shut down? I would have expected that to linger since I don't believe VoNR is in widespread use yet. Certainly not on my phone.

Heard from a friend it was shut down in Harrisburg, PA. N71 got widened to 20mhz there. 

4 minutes ago, cooltech6597 said:

Heard from a friend it was shut down in Harrisburg, PA. N71 got widened to 20mhz there. 

Interesting. We have 15Mhz of n71 here. 20Mhz of B25 sitting quiet, I assume waiting for n25 to fire up. Taking B71 off air would give us 20+20+80 (n71+25+41) which ought to be pretty impressive.

24 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Interesting. We have 15Mhz of n71 here. 20Mhz of B25 sitting quiet, I assume waiting for n25 to fire up. Taking B71 off air would give us 20+20+80 (n71+25+41) which ought to be pretty impressive.

We have 15mhz of n71 here in the Toledo area as well. Currently they have 20mhz of n25 and 100+40mhz of n41 on air, so with a 4ca (i think x70/S23 series supports that?) a total of 15 + 20 + 100 + 40mhz can be aggregated. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...