Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

Yeah, what's happening is in select markets Sprint is able to either broadcast a single 10x10 B25 carrier for LTE, or 2 separate 5x5 B25 carriers, both which help for capacity, and the 10x10 for speeds.

Not this market yet.

Scp is reporting b25^2 because the GCI ends in 0B. The earfcn is the G block 5mhz carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Not this market yet.

Scp is reporting b25^2 because the GCI ends in 0B. The earfcn is the G block 5mhz carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I was mentioning that in general, not for the particular market :)

I think it is a just an incorrect GCI more research needed I guess. 02E should be an ALU market (VT/NH/ME) which explains the 0B as a second carrier. Shouldn't your market(East Iowa) start with 08A? The PCI's in the picture points to atleast 3 different towers on the west side of town. I don't know just funny looking to me.

I think it is a just an incorrect GCI more research needed I guess. 02E should be and ALU market (VT/NH/ME) which explains the 0B as a second carrier. Shouldn't your market(East Iowa) start with 08A? The PCI's in the picture points to atleast 3 different towers on the west side of town. I don't know just funny looking to me.

I didn't think about that earlier. Seeing as this is a Samsung market, there shouldn't be an 0B sector on B25, it should be 05. Very strange. 

Sprint has been heavily trimming CDMA carriers in favor of LTE, even in markets with limited spectrum. Omaha and Minneapolis have the same situation going on.

So in the QC with our 40 MHz of contiguous spectrum (C+G after swap with AT&T) is it possible we could see a single 15×15 or maybe a 10×10 second carrier along with the original 5×5 since they are trimming CDMA carriers?

So in the QC with our 40 MHz of contiguous spectrum (C+G after swap with AT&T) is it possible we could see a single 15×15 or maybe a 10×10 second carrier along with the original 5×5 since they are trimming CDMA carriers?

They probably wouldn't do a second carrier if they have contiguous spectrum, rather they would just expand the original carrier to 10x10 or even better a 15x15 carrier.

They probably wouldn't do a second carrier if they have contiguous spectrum, rather they would just expand the original carrier to 10x10 or even better a 15x15 carrier.

Yeah, probably not. A 10x10 or 15x15 B25 carrier is not as good as B41, but is a good alternative when B41 isn't available.

What they said .... haha

With the contiguous spectrum, they will expand the original block to a 10x10. Eventually, it may be expanded to a 15x15. That's a little further down the line though I believe. 

Well hopefully the latter, peak speeds of ~105 sounds good to me!

Well hopefully the latter, peak speeds of ~105 sounds good to me!

Equipment is not capable of 15x15/20x20.

Hardware wise it is. Software wise it's not. Need to run through FCC certifications again.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Equipment is not capable of 15x15/20x20.

Hardware wise it is. Software wise it's not. Need to run through FCC certifications again.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Oh okay, didn't know that. So when the time comes and they get cleared through the FCC, it would only take a software update to be able to expand carriers?

Oh okay, didn't know that. So when the time comes and they get cleared through the FCC, it would only take a software update to be able to expand carriers?

If they decide to software certify it for 15 MHz or 20 MHz FDD-LTE then yes. 

Modern eNBs are software defined. 

• 3 months later...

Anyone know the current status of the Sprint/AT&T spectrum swap in the Davenport/Moline BTA 105 area, referenced in the following article?  

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-406-whats-the-frequency-kenneth-sprint-and-att-tango-to-trade-pcs-frequencies/

I see a related discussion in the following thread about some Sprint MVNO phones not working because they can't get a PRL update, and it mentions July 1.  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7525-certain-phones-wont-work-after-7116/

I assume something must be happening on the AT&T side anyway, I've got a handful of HSPA+ AT&T devices that in the middle of last week were only able to connect to AT&T's EDGE 2G network.  Calling AT&T they did a "device refresh" which I assume probably updated the PRL and got them back on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

Anyone know the current status of the Sprint/AT&T spectrum swap in the Davenport/Moline BTA 105 area, referenced in the following article?  

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-406-whats-the-frequency-kenneth-sprint-and-att-tango-to-trade-pcs-frequencies/

I see a related discussion in the following thread about some Sprint MVNO phones not working because they can't get a PRL update, and it mentions July 1.  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7525-certain-phones-wont-work-after-7116/

I assume something must be happening on the AT&T side anyway, I've got a handful of HSPA+ AT&T devices that in the middle of last week were only able to connect to AT&T's EDGE 2G network.  Calling AT&T they did a "device refresh" which I assume probably updated the PRL and got them back on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

It's approved by the FCC. Both sides have entered into short term lease agreements to coordinate migration off each others spectrum.

Final migration date is unknown but will be done before EOY. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up today in Rock Island, IL.... Did a speed test and pulled about 11.5 down and 4 up. Usually I average about 2-3 down and 1-2 up around this time.

very nice! the 1x and EVDO channels for central iowa changed this morning so we should be right behind you with the 10x10 B25 carrier.