Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

What do you want them to do? They've already added a 2nd band 25 carrier on multiple sites, something many markets aren't capable of having. Other than a potential 15 Mhz band 41 carrier (which is questionable if it makes financial sense, and likely not possible until Wimax is shutdown) they can't do anything more. And we've been over that last sentence multiple times now...

I wasn't aware of a second carrier on band 25 in the area. Are they 5x5 or 10x10 blocks? Also,would any tri-band phone be able to pick up the additional carrier?

I wasn't aware of a second carrier on band 25 in the area. Are they 5x5 or 10x10 blocks? Also,would any tri-band phone be able to pick up the additional carrier?

the 2nd B25 carrier is also a 5x5 block, so you would have 2 5x5 blocks each capable of a max of around 37 meg down, so wouldn't double max speeds, just have more capacity to split users between. any sprint LTE phone can pick up the 2nd carrier since all sprint phones started out with PCS B25/2 support. all they are doing for the 2nd carrier is reducing the # of 3G carriers available and refarming them to LTE, so same spectrum, different technology.

Thank you bmoses...just to be sure, I'm talking about the Quad Cities area.

yep, and anywhere they are putting a 2nd carrier its been a 5x5. there are a few cases of a 10x10 B25 carrier out there but only in locations they acquired the C block, then they can just expand the original 5x5 G block carrier to a 10x10, they are also adding a 5x5 in the B block in those locations too.

It makes sense IC area is low priority (only 100k ish people) but i'be been to smaller college towns that are better. Oh well , no biggie :)

The problem is that Iowa City was an affiliate market.  That iPCS legacy hinders the market and may not go away anytime soon.

AJ

I remember iPCS used to be the affiliate here in the Quad Cities as well. My question is, did we lose any spectrum here through that mess?

AJ may correct me, but I don't believe so. Sprint's PCS spectrum holdings in the Quad Cities are pretty consistent with what they hold elsewhere. SpeedConnect is the limiting factor.

I remember iPCS used to be the affiliate here in the Quad Cities as well. My question is, did we lose any spectrum here through that mess?

No.  As an affiliate, iPCS did not control any spectrum licenses.  Sprint did -- but contracted with iPCS to provide service to secondary and tertiary markets.

The issue is not loss of spectrum.  It is lack of site density.  More or less, iPCS and some other affiliates built on the cheap.  Site density was okay but not great for cdmaOne/CDMA2000 services on flip phones with extensible antennas.  That does not fly today in the world of smartphones and LTE.  Sprint may or may not fix that via site densification.

I know that this is eastern Iowa, so I hope that you will excuse the well fitting "Field of Dreams" reference.  The idea that "If you build it, they will come" does not always hold.  Sprint could have the best data speeds in the Quad Cities -- yet still be an afterthought.  If Sprint is behind VZW, AT&T, USCC, even i Wireless in market share, Sprint may consider the area low priority, almost a lost cause.

AJ

Realistically with the lack of B41 and inability to even deploy the second B25 carrier in this area, only site densification will help data speeds. I just don't see Sprint putting the resources into that. Meanwhile Verizon is deploying small cells here in cedar rapids like crazy.

The PCS B block is split with Verizon there so they shouldn't. That said bretton88 has posted a 2nd carrier shot he said was from Iowa City. There was also a similar sighting in Western Iowa of what appeared to be a second carrier from somewhere that theoretically shouldn't have it. It is hard to say if it is a signal check error or if some spectrum was refarmed without seeing engineering screens.

Also lets not go overboard with things like "abysmal." Site spacing in Iowa City is fairly standard.

No and other than being a college town Iowa City would be pretty low on the list.

Just to confirm there 100% certainly is a 2nd B25 LTE carrier in Iowa City / Coralville.  

http://imgur.com/lcujRth

Edited by sgarringer
  • Like 3

Nor do I. If Sprint's current coverage and or speeds aren't good enough for someone in Cedar Rapids there is really no reason to stick it out.

Actually I find Sprint's service to be very solid here in cedar rapids. Considering their lack of resources for this city it probably means their market share is really low. I don't speed test anymore, but I've never had reason to complain.

Actually I find Sprint's service to be very solid here in cedar rapids. Considering their lack of resources for this city it probably means their market share is really low. I don't speed test anymore, but I've never had reason to complain.

While this is true for parts of the town, other parts of the town is very frustrating as a Sprint customer.  Downtown, for instance, is a black hole for LTE and you get stuck on 3G pretty much anywhere unless you're on the top floor of a building.  South of town by the airport is a GMO site which is frustrating as it means you lose LTE between IC and CR.  But parts of town with well built out LTE work well.

##DEBUG# >> LTE is the screen we are looking for. 

That screen is available with a $5 donation to the sgarringer pizza fund :-) 

Just kidding... I guess I'll try that next time I am in IC

Edited by sgarringer
  • Like 2

That screen is available with a $5 donation to the sgarringer pizza fund :-) 

Just kidding... I guess I'll try that next time I am in IC

Thanks. I should've been more specific in the initial request. What I'm after is the EARFCN of the 2nd carrier.

Does that mean sprint is refarming to move to one 10x10 carrier?

Not refarming.

We'll be publishing an article shortly after some additional edits and graphics are created but it involves the Blue Death Star.

Not refarming.

We'll be publishing an article shortly after some additional edits and graphics are created but it involves the Blue Death Star.

Trading for the C block right?

Are they gonna trade straight up? 50/50?

JBKhyg3m.jpg