Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

From the Missouri market thread:

Picked up a new source today. They provided me a list of Missouri, Central Illinois and East Iowa sites that are on a site dispatch report. I will be marking the sites In Progress later tonight when I get home.

Robert

Where can I find this list... I live in Davenport and have been wondering when were gonna get lte.. I check your site every day and you do a very god job.. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Which list are you referring to? If you mean the NV Sites Complete map, where you can find the in-progress sites, that is available to sponsors only. We do have the NV Running list, which is keeping track of market progress, I can link you to that if you haven't seen it already.

• 2 weeks later...

Does a site dispatch report mean that NV updates will begin in Eastern Iowa soon? I figured we might be toward the end of the schedule. I'm in Cedar Rapids and noticed some improvements in 3G speeds over the past month or so, but no LTE yet.

Does a site dispatch report mean that NV updates will begin in Eastern Iowa soon? I figured we might be toward the end of the schedule. I'm in Cedar Rapids and noticed some improvements in 3G speeds over the past month or so, but no LTE yet.

Work is already under way. Samsung has begun or is beginning work very soon in all their markets. They are kicking it.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Robert. Has anyone else in Iowa noticed recent 3G improvements? Today on I-80 between Iowa City and Des Moines I was able to hold a Skype call for 45 minutes without any drops. The call quality was pretty good most of the time. At home I've been able to stream YouTube videos over 3G. These things would've been impossible even two months ago.

LTE will be awesome.

I know that they have been working on some towers in the QC as I have seen fast 3G speeds. However, even though network.sprint.com shows 37 updates, it still feels like most of the QC is still really slow and really spotty since I still hit 1x data an awful lot. I just figured they were doing band-aid fixes for now. I hope NV and LTE get here soon as this area has felt neglected for 2 years.

I know that they have been working on some towers in the QC as I have seen fast 3G speeds. However, even though network.sprint.com shows 37 updates, it still feels like most of the QC is still really slow and really spotty since I still hit 1x data an awful lot. I just figured they were doing band-aid fixes for now. I hope NV and LTE get here soon as this area has felt neglected for 2 years.
I think we are finding that data speed upgrade sometimes means the site has new backhaul, but it is not being connected to the legacy side. Just waiting for NV equipment to hook it up to.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I think we are finding that data speed upgrade sometimes means the site has new backhaul, but it is not being connected to the legacy side. Just waiting for NV equipment to hook it up to.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Thanks. I hope that is the case and the NV equipment won't be too far off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert. Has anyone else in Iowa noticed recent 3G improvements? Today on I-80 between Iowa City and Des Moines I was able to hold a Skype call for 45 minutes without any drops. The call quality was pretty good most of the time. At home I've been able to stream YouTube videos over 3G. These things would've been impossible even two months ago.

LTE will be awesome.

I-80's good coverage doesn't make up for I-35's hell. Worst native Sprint coverage I have ever seen along there. Even voice calls are tough to hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Met with a sprint tech a few weeks ago and he gave me some information. He is on the data side not the cell side, but seemed more knowledgeable than most. According to him the hardware that needs to be upgraded in Iowa will take a lot more work than in some places because they not only need to upgrade the back-hauls from the towers but also the Davenport switch which has all the data going through it for eastern Iowa. IF that is true that would explain why our signals are better but data speeds still suck and are not consistant.

Met with a sprint tech a few weeks ago and he gave me some information. He is on the data side not the cell side, but seemed more knowledgeable than most. According to him the hardware that needs to be upgraded in Iowa will take a lot more work than in some places because they not only need to upgrade the back-hauls from the towers but also the Davenport switch which has all the data going through it for eastern Iowa. IF that is true that would explain why our signals are better but data speeds still suck and are not consistant.

This is true of every market. The switch for each market is also being upgraded to Network Vision standards.

• 1 month later...

I want to see if Sprint is embellishing the truth.

I have had a ticket open for a year fighting with Sprint because their data crawls between 10-50kbps instead of the 400-600 they advertise. I kept getting told every month that the completion date keeps getting pushed out in the future. I have been in contact with someone who answers the dan@sprint.com email address.

She told me that NV is starting in our area which I don't believe since I think you told me one time that the Quad City area won't start until around fall '13. Has things moved up in this area?

Thanks for your time

I have had a ticket open for a year fighting with Sprint because their data crawls between 10-50kbps instead of the 400-600 they advertise. I kept getting told every month that the completion date keeps getting pushed out in the future. I have been in contact with someone who answers the dan@sprint.com email address.

She told me that NV is starting in our area which I don't believe since I think you told me one time that the Quad City area won't start until around fall '13. Has things moved up in this area?

Thanks for your time

GMO sites are in progress and that's part of network vision so yes, the person is correct. These sites may or may not get LTE initially if there are a lot of challenges or they cannot get backhaul ran to the site cheaply. If they do get backhaul to the site for cheap, then they'll get LTE up and running.

Are they doing full builds yet? No. That's still several months away.

Thanks for your time

In the Quad City area, if by "starting" they mean that Sprint is at least in the process of doing the engineering studies on the towers, then I would say that is true. As far as actual work being done though, knowing past history with the amount of time it has taken band-aid upgrades to occur to heavily overloaded towers, I'd say you're probably at least 6 months away from seeing anything meaningful happening related to Network Vision in my opinion.

Network Vision is underway in the East Iowa market now. Over 60 GMO sites accepted already. Full build sites will start in the next 3 -4 weeks.

• Like 1

Network Vision is underway in the East Iowa market now. Over 60 GMO sites accepted already. Full build sites will start in the next 3 -4 weeks.

Awesome news!! So am I safe to assume that in about 4 months we should have usable Sprint service? If so, I can't wait. I have been with Sprint for 13 years and I am rooting for them as they are the underdog, but 2013 is my make or break year with them. Hopefully they bring their A game to this region as we have been suffering for 2-3 years

it could very well be them working on the towers, when NV work is going on people have lots of problems with their service. It could also just be an outage too, only way to know for sure is check the sponsors map to find the locations of the towers and go check them out and see if there are any workers there :)

I went out and took a look a DM03IP596 today since it's right down the street. Here's a few pictures from that site which seem to indicate that it's a GMO site.

IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3298.jpg device-2013-04-29-171235.png

I'm still not sure how to put these images into a gallery...

• Like 1

Just curious about this. The map at network.sprint.com shows more towers than the NV Sponsor's map for Cedar Rapids, IA. I know they've been running fiber all through town over the past year but seem to have finished with that. Is there no NV information for the other towers in town?

Just curious about this. The map at network.sprint.com shows more towers than the NV Sponsor's map for Cedar Rapids, IA. I know they've been running fiber all through town over the past year but seem to have finished with that. Is there no NV information for the other towers in town?

did you count the number of pins on network.sprint.com or look at the total number of upgrades? i just compared the sponsor map to the sprint one and the sponsor map shows more "pins" than the sprint one.