Fastest Speeds Ever Seen on WiMax

Paynefanbro

Is this even possible? I read earlier that the max down speed for wimax is under 40.

No, it is not possible. A 10 MHz TDD WiMAX carrier with 2x2 downlink MIMO cannot support 90 Mbps.

The speed test is a fake or a mistake.

AJ

No, it is not possible. A 10 MHz TDD WiMAX carrier with 2x2 downlink MIMO cannot support 90 Mbps.

The speed test is a fake or a mistake.

AJ

Or a wider carrier test. Mopho used to work for Clearwire.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Or a wider carrier test. Mopho used to work for Clearwire.

Ah, could be a 20 MHz TDD WiMAX carrier, maybe even 4x4 MIMO.

Okay, this means more research work for me. But get me the WiMAX device info, and I will check the FCC OET database.

AJ

Then it must be possible back then with minimal congestion where as now in 2013 you have a ton of congestion on clearwire.

You realize that he was using a a setup that was better than the standard wimax equipment that is elsewhere, right?

More antennas, wider channel, bigger backhaul.

• Like 1

WiMax isn't all that bad.

3G is so bad where I am staying in SE Florida (and no LTE) that I bought a Virgin Mobile Overdrive Pro to use as a hotspot.

370146503.png

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk.

• 2 months later...

I never though WiMax was terrible -- just the high frequency that Clear deployed it on... If I was 3 blocks away from the tower I could get 16-18 megs easily... but any further and it would start to drop... go inside and it would drop... and Clear's towers were spaced WAY too far apart.

Had Sprint figured out a way to plug WiMax equipment into their existing 1900 mhz. network in addition to to Clear's coverage, this whole story might have been different, and NV might be a mass WiMax 2 deployment.

I never though WiMax was terrible -- just the high frequency that Clear deployed it on... If I was 3 blocks away from the tower I could get 16-18 megs easily... but any further and it would start to drop... go inside and it would drop... and Clear's towers were spaced WAY too far apart.

Had Sprint figured out a way to plug WiMax equipment into their existing 1900 mhz. network in addition to to Clear's coverage, this whole story might have been different, and NV might be a mass WiMax 2 deployment.

I like that thought. Guess the cash flow stopped that a while back. Wonder which is better technology if you were starting from scratch.

Yeah the only thing I could think of was that WiMax either didn't have a spec for FDD (which is how PCS frequecies are paired vs. TDD that 2.5, 3.65 and other ultra high frequencies are), or there was just no sub-2.5 equipment available... seems like every WiMax deployment I've heard about is between 2.3 and 3.65 Ghz.

Seems that if Sprint and Clear were truly "partnering", Sprint would have cleared some of their PCS for Clear to deploy alongside their 2.5 for at least some increase in coverage (still wouldn't have been that great--most Clear sites sit VERY low on the towers, in addition to being spaced too far apart--although much better for PCS rather than 2.5)

In the end I think it's a good thing they didn't... had they deployed WiMax correctly in 2008 we'd probably have a lot better 4G network by now--but then you'd have Sprint as being pretty much the only carrier using WiMax... I still can't imagine that even if they had an awesome WiMax network that it would have pushed the tide towards WiMax from LTE... Verizon and AT&T (and most major cellular companies) were behind LTE from the start--LTE started as a telecom standard, vs. WiMax which is an more of an IEEE "computer" standard (the same folks who came up with WiFi)... you may have had a few more companies jump on it, but none of the other majors... still would have phone sourcing issues etc--especially if Sprint was the only one using PCS for their WiMax.

Nat

• Like 1

Yeah the upload on LTE is definitely better than WiMax... is that a feature of the technology, or just the 2.5 Ghz. spectrum (would LTE at 2.5 have the same upload limitations?)

Yeah the upload on LTE is definitely better than WiMax... is that a feature of the technology, or just the 2.5 Ghz. spectrum (would LTE at 2.5 have the same upload limitations?)

I don't think that that it will it is going to use the same antennas that have the 800 and 1900mhz. But I think they will use it in highly populated areas. Not in rural areas

A lot of times I would see my upload go slightly past 2Mbps and then go down slowly to 1.5.

That's because it's the time slot that limits it to 1.5Mbps. TDD technology. So within a short period of one time slot, it's possible to exceed the 1.5Mbps. But within a few seconds across several time slots, it will settle in and not exceed the 1.5Mbps.

Robert

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

472912336.png

I just got pulled this down a couple of days ago in Los Angeles. I don't think I ever got anything over 10Mb/s on WiMax before.

Sure about the time slot thing? I think that Clearwire is actually throttling it, in addition to deploying asymmetric time slots. Folks were getting 15/5 on WiMAX back when it started, in places like Atlanta. And the ~1.5 Mbps consistent speeds that folks seem to get now points to throttling at less than capacity, something that isn't done on downloads, because saturating the upload channel on a connection tends to destroy performance even more than saturating the downlink, bleeding over into the other direction.

Sure about the time slot thing? I think that Clearwire is actually throttling it, in addition to deploying asymmetric time slots. Folks were getting 15/5 on WiMAX back when it started, in places like Atlanta. And the ~1.5 Mbps consistent speeds that folks seem to get now points to throttling at less than capacity, something that isn't done on downloads, because saturating the upload channel on a connection tends to destroy performance even more than saturating the downlink, bleeding over into the other direction.

It's my understanding the time slot for the upload was limited to a speed that could not support more than 1.5Mbps.  And the upload slots were increased accordingly to allow for more data throughput.  It was actually limited to 1Mbps and increased to 1.5Mpbs over time.

Robert