AT&T Receives Spectrum Approval

4GHoward

I agree that WiMax is less than ideal. But that being said, Puerto Rico only had WiMax Protection Sites. Protection sites are deployed with zero downtilt to maximize coverage. This only made the penetration problem worse. In fully deployed and appropriately dense network conditions, WiMax performed OK. But Sprint LTE is superior in every way.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I had no idea that protection sites had no downtilt. I learn something everyday :D

I also wanted to add that if you were to go on a roadtrip or something similar when you are constantly moving from one site to another the handoff is incredibly slow. Very ineficient for a cell phone in my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint has some WCS, and in the near future, it will hopefully become more valuable because at&t is going to utilize the band.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

Maybe they can exchange it for some PCS in Florida :) .

Yes, VZW should use the spectrum or give it back. There needs to be a timeline. What VZW is doing is anti-competitive and they are trying to create a duopoly with AT&T.

I am not sure what makes you think that there is no timeline. See Title 47 Parts 27.13 and 27.14.

http://www.ecfr.gov/....0.1.1.5.2.49.4

The timeline is long for AWS 2100+1700 MHz licenses because the spectrum is not ideal. Government incumbents have to be relocated from the 1700 MHz uplink. No AWS licensee has hit its first buildout deadline yet, so no AWS spectrum should be revoked yet.

And lest you think that I am soft on the duopoly, I suggest that you read almost anything that I have written here at S4GRU. Try a search on "anti competitive asshats." That should bring up some of my scathing criticisms of both VZW and AT&T. Moreover, if you want my perspective on carriers using protection sites to retain licenses, read the very first piece that I wrote for S4GRU.

http://s4gru.com/ind...t-of-hypocrisy/

For basically a decade, I have hammered away at the use of protection sites. But there is a big difference between fat and happy AT&T sitting on prime PCS 1900 MHz spectrum in smaller markets and cash strapped Clearwire grinding to a halt with marginal BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum in several already well served major markets.

Regardless, your protests, Richard, strike me less as concerned altruism about use of public spectrum, more as sour grapes over the dearth of WiMAX in San Diego County.

AJ

• Like 4

Regardless, your protests, Richard, strike me less as concerned altruism about use of public spectrum, more as sour grapes over the dearth of WiMAX in San Diego County.

This is true. I really do HATE HATE HATE Clearwire. With that being said, it really has opened my eyes to the practices of all the cell phone companies. They basically can hold a community hostage. They milk every last dime they can out of the consumer and don't give a damn about fairly using the public airwaves. Not providing adequate cell coverage can give an entire region an economic disadvantage. What business would want to operate in an area without proper 4G coverage? I doubt I will be any less bitter until Sprint 4G is widespread in San Diego.

This is true. I really do HATE HATE HATE Clearwire. With that being said, it really has opened my eyes to the practices of all the cell phone companies. They basically can hold a community hostage. They milk every last dime they can out of the consumer and don't give a damn about fairly using the public airwaves. Not providing adequate cell coverage can give an entire region an economic disadvantage. What business would want to operate in an area without proper 4G coverage? I doubt I will be any less bitter until Sprint 4G is widespread in San Diego.

Dude calm down man....sprint has bought clearwire and now has the rights to the 2.5 ghz spectrum. Once the deal is finalizes...i expect to see huge ramp up of 2.5 ghz TDD LTE in 2014. I expect sprint to focus on the 1900 mhz and 800 mhz LTE build out in 2013

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2