HD Voice and NV

Are the HD Voice enhancements (x1 Advanced) tied to the 3G on 800mhz deployments, or would they come faster/slower? I presume it won't need to be on ever tower to have market wide coverage, as 800mhz should have excellent penetration.

Are the HD Voice enhancements (x1 Advanced) tied to the 3G on 800mhz deployments...

HD Voice and CDMA1X Advanced are two separate, unrelated developments.

AJ

Speaking of HD voice, Sprint really needs to start getting on the ball and release all new LTE 2013 devices with HD voice. It doesn't make any sense that only the HTC EVO One X phone in 2012 was capable of HD voice. If Sprint really wants to get customers to transition over to HD voice then they need to start releasing new devices that contain HD voice.

Because of incompatibility between certain devices and carriers, HD Voice probably will not be widespread until VoLTE takes over.

AJ

I don't understand Sprint's strategy once VoLTE is more reliable with the bugs worked out if Sprint will start using VoLTE more or still keep HD Voice. I know Sprint's answer is going to be that we use a mix of both but at some point VoLTE will be the dominant preference for voice since it keeps voice and data under the LTE standard vs. CDMA HD which is only voice.

I would have expected that Sprint would start pushing for HD voice in the next year or 2 or its phones while waiting for VoLTE.

I have no interest in VoLTE the way things are currently. I'd rather have good voice coverage at the current good Spring voice quality than to have reduced voice coverage and higher quality voice. Does anyone even use their voice much anymore?

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have no interest in VoLTE the way things are currently. I'd rather have good voice coverage at the current good Spring voice quality than to have reduced voice coverage and higher quality voice. Does anyone even use their voice much anymore?

I look forward to VoLTE mainly for roaming purposes (finally technological convergence among all carriers)

One question though, does VoLTE have its own carrier for voice only is does it run on top of LTE data carriers. I only ask to see if VoLTE, 1xAdv, and a 5x5 (where possible) LTE carrier can coexist on the SMR band or if CDMA would have to be cannibalized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I look forward to VoLTE mainly for roaming purposes (finally technological convergence among all carriers)

Good luck with that. Even if all carriers in the future adhere solely to the LTE standard, disparate spectrum bands, technical limitations in devices, and allegiances/feuds among the carriers will prevent ubiquitous roaming.

Technological convergence is not the hold up, folks. 3GPP/3GPP2 cross standard roaming is already possible. But wireless carriers do not want to allow roaming unless absolutely necessary and on favorable terms. The only thing that will bring about ubiquitous roaming/coverage is nationalization of the wireless infrastructure.

One question though, does VoLTE have its own carrier for voice only is does it run on top of LTE data carriers.

No. That is the whole point of VoLTE. It does not require a separate carrier, not even a separate protocol. It is just packet switched voice data with a dash of QoS thrown into the data pot. If VoLTE were to require a separate voice carrier, it would be practically pointless.

AJ

• Like 2

Has anyone tested out metro PCS voLTE? Just curious because their 1x coverage is spotty to began with, I can imagine calls would switch down to 1x alot (if even Possible) due to LTE being signal strengh dependent.

Agree. Sprint's pcs voice quality is already the best in the industry. HD voice wouldnt be a vacuum for sprint, competitively.

• Like 1

Agree. Sprint's pcs voice quality is already the best in the industry. HD voice wouldnt be a vacuum for sprint, competitively.

It sounds like HD voice has great promise for Sprint and would be a leap over Verizon's CDMA voice. The big question is when is Sprint going to make a huge splash and enable HD voice on all of its handsets so that the HD voice handset availability can begin to populate.

My guess is that Sprint wants to wait until they can add more Network Vision markets with 1x Advanced enabled first before they decide to go all in on HD voice. Any leg up they can have on the competition is something that Sprint needs to strive for.

Good luck with that. Even if all carriers in the future adhere solely to the LTE standard, disparate spectrum bands, technical limitations in devices, and allegiances/feuds among the carriers will prevent ubiquitous roaming.

Technological convergence is not the hold up, folks. 3GPP/3GPP2 cross standard roaming is already possible. But wireless carriers do not want to allow roaming unless absolutely necessary and on favorable terms. The only thing that will bring about ubiquitous roaming/coverage is nationalization of the wireless infrastructure.

No. That is the whole point of VoLTE. It does not require a separate carrier, not even a separate protocol. It is just packet switched voice data with a dash of QoS thrown into the data pot. If VoLTE were to require a separate voice carrier, it would be practically pointless.

AJ

I suspect that with LTE dominance we will see a return to the current spectrum bands used in 3G (cellular and PCS) through refarms on the part of AT&T and Verizon as well as the small carriers as they look for channels to expand into as end users switch to LTE handsets and make better use of them.

In these cases as well as Sprint you could see spectrum compatibility in these bands that could (with a little kick in the butt from the FCC, hopefully) foster roaming on LTE the way we see it in 1x roaming today. This may work out for the better of everyone as only certain bands allow for roaming while others remain proprietary with Sprint users having exclusive access to SMR and BRS, Verizon users having access to their 700 band, and AT&T with its own 700 band. So roamers wont be as much of a burden to the roamed carriers network.

EDIT: in looking back at this I see one major issue that stands out with what I wrote on sheltered spectrum. The big carriers could simply choose to build into as many areas as possible with sheltered spectrum and only use roaming capable spectrum when absolutely necessary. This would defeat the purpose of the (what I said earlier) new fcc rules. I could easily see AT&T and Verizon doing this.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have an update on the Sprint HD Voice strategy? Do any of the new phones such as the GS4 and HTC One have HD Voice capability? I just saw an article saying Verizon is working on HD Voice cross-carrier technology.

• Like 1

On the HTC One, the default vocoder for both native and roaming service is EVRC. I do not have my MSL yet, though, to look at the other vocoders supported.

AJ

besides all the other ways to get your msl, if you still have your old sprint phone, you can switch to your old one, then back to the new one, and they will email you the msl (swap them through sprint account web service).

• Like 1

besides all the other ways to get your msl, if you still have your old sprint phone, you can switch to your old one, then back to the new one, and they will email you the msl (swap them through sprint account web service).

This is the method I use.