Sprint lte vs Verizon lte

I went to my local Verizon store today to check out the LTE phones particularly the Droid DNA phone because I am intrigued with the 5 in screen. I did several LTE speedtests on several phones (Droid DNA, RAZR MAXX, SGS3, SG Note 2) and the average LTE speeds were in the 6-8 Mbps range. This is a far cry from when I first went to that exact same store when the HTC Thunderbolt, Rezound, RAZR MAXX first came out when LTE speeds averaged 20-25 Mbps.

This makes me wonder how soon Verizon really needs to deploy LTE on its AWS spectrum to help alleviate capacity to keep up their lightning fast speeds. Verizon would have its work cut out for them since they need to upgrade its base station equipment to implement LTE-Advanced ready hardware.

I just hope when Sprint LTE is live on every single Sprint tower that I can get a consistent 10-12 Mbps and I will be happy.

Those speeds are perfectly within Verizon's range considering that they advertise LTE speeds as 5-12mbps down and 2-5mbps up.

The latest I've heard from them is that by this summer their 700Mhz LTE is gonna overlay their entire EVDO footprint, at which point they'll be deploying AWS for capacity. Now, that's a pretty vague statement as we have no idea if they'll be staying at Release 8 and just deploy a second carrier for capacity, or if they'll be upgrading their cell sites to Release 10 in the process. It would make sense to start upgrading to Rel 10 as they could use HetNet and other LTE-A tools down the road.

Those speeds are perfectly within Verizon's range considering that they advertise LTE speeds as 5-12mbps down and 2-5mbps up.

The latest I've heard from them is that by this summer their 700Mhz LTE is gonna overlay their entire EVDO footprint, at which point they'll be deploying AWS for capacity. Now, that's a pretty vague statement as we have no idea if they'll be staying at Release 8 and just deploy a second carrier for capacity, or if they'll be upgrading their cell sites to Release 10 in the process. It would make sense to start upgrading to Rel 10 as they could use HetNet and other LTE-A tools down the road.

Oh I know that 6-8 Mbps is definitely within the Verizon advertised speed range for LTE. However I am talking about the consumer perceived LTE speeds which the criteria is way higher. The perception I read on forums and tech blogs is that Verizon LTE speedtests can do 40-50 Mbps on a consistent basis which I know only occurs on a non-loaded sector and yet when Sprint LTE speedtests show 20-25 Mbps, it is rated as "slow" compared to Verizon LTE. That stigma that many bitter and unknowledgeable consumers have of Sprint 4G no matter if it is WiMax or LTE is that Sprint can never win since it is still slower than Verizon or AT&T LTE.

The point of my post is that Verizon's crazy 20+ Mbps have really come down to Earth within the past year as more and more people rush to Verizon to get LTE. I am sure if I went to an AT&T store and did LTE speedtests, I would find that speeds have come down to Earth since the crazy 20+ Mbps speedtests back then.

I went to my local Verizon store today to check out the LTE phones particularly the Droid DNA phone because I am intrigued with the 5 in screen. I did several LTE speedtests on several phones (Droid DNA, RAZR MAXX, SGS3, SG Note 2) and the average LTE speeds were in the 6-8 Mbps range. This is a far cry from when I first went to that exact same store when the HTC Thunderbolt, Rezound, RAZR MAXX first came out when LTE speeds averaged 20-25 Mbps.

This makes me wonder how soon Verizon really needs to deploy LTE on its AWS spectrum to help alleviate capacity to keep up their lightning fast speeds. Verizon would have its work cut out for them since they need to upgrade its base station equipment to implement LTE-Advanced ready hardware.

I just hope when Sprint LTE is live on every single Sprint tower that I can get a consistent 10-12 Mbps and I will be happy.

I laugh when people proclaim VZW LTE and 20-40Mbps speeds. I never see that anymore. I only see speeds above 15Mbps on rural sites after midnight. In Wichita Falls, Sprint LTE met or exceeded VZW LTE in all my testing.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh I know that 6-8 Mbps is definitely within the Verizon advertised speed range for LTE. However I am talking about the consumer perceived LTE speeds which the criteria is way higher. The perception I read on forums and tech blogs is that Verizon LTE speedtests can do 40-50 Mbps on a consistent basis which I know only occurs on a non-loaded sector and yet when Sprint LTE speedtests show 20-25 Mbps, it is rated as "slow" compared to Verizon LTE. That stigma that many bitter and unknowledgeable consumers have of Sprint 4G no matter if it is WiMax or LTE is that Sprint can never win since it is still slower than Verizon or AT&T LTE.

The point of my post is that Verizon's crazy 20+ Mbps have really come down to Earth within the past year as more and more people rush to Verizon to get LTE. I am sure if I went to an AT&T store and did LTE speedtests, I would find that speeds have come down to Earth since the crazy 20+ Mbps speedtests back then.

Although it did come down (I can't get 70+mbps anymore), it's still peaking at about 60mbps. But the average has been drastically reduced as you know already. It's not 20+mbps it's more 5-12mbps. In some areas of NYC it completely stalls during the peak hours. It's getting bad.

G6oKPl.pngIPT2nl.png

That AWS has to happen this year, otherwise we'll be seeing lots of pissed of Verizon customers. And those are massive 40Mhz slices so that's a lot of capacity. This could be a great opportunity for Sprint to deploy sooner rather than later and take those customers with Unlimited Data and other affordable incentives.

Fastest VZW speed I've ever seen in New Mexico is 29Mbps. I don't think our backhaul here is as fast as in other markets.

Fastest VZW speed I've ever seen in New Mexico is 29Mbps. I don't think our backhaul here is as fast as in other markets.

This is very true. Back in summer '11 in Sacramento I couldn't pull more than 30mbps anywhere which actually matched local Comcast cable offerings lol. Always wondered if they're leasing their backhaul from local CableCo's over there. In large and dense markets like NYC their sites are mostly fed with massive fiber backhaul though.

• Like 1

This is very true. Back in summer '11 in Sacramento I couldn't pull more than 30mbps anywhere which actually matched local Comcast cable offerings lol. Always wondered if they're leasing their backhaul from local CableCo's over there. In large and dense markets like NYC their sites are mostly fed with massive fiber backhaul though.

Well... as I live in Sacramento and have many friends who use ATT and Vz, I can assure you they're using either Comcast or ATT and Sprint / T-mobile is likely to as well since they have a practical duopoly (they've brought out every other ISP in the last 10 years).

My friends VZ LTE smartphones have speeds in the 4-10 mbps range during for the majority of day time. During peak hours, it can come down to 2-4 mbps or lower in the downtown area by the state capital. Surrounding areas like the suburbs are not as highly affected but they're still barely within the 5-12 mbps average. Anywhere near a high school or middle school is (uh oh) during lunch time as you can easily get hundreds of people using their LTE devices.

But yea. Verizon LTE used to top out in the 25-30ish mbps range before people started jumping on it.

Well... as I live in Sacramento and have many friends who use ATT and Vz, I can assure you they're using either Comcast or ATT and Sprint / T-mobile is likely to as well since they have a practical duopoly (they've brought out every other ISP in the last 10 years).

My friends VZ LTE smartphones have speeds in the 4-10 mbps range during for the majority of day time. During peak hours, it can come down to 2-4 mbps or lower in the downtown area by the state capital. Surrounding areas like the suburbs are not as highly affected but they're still barely within the 5-12 mbps average. Anywhere near a high school or middle school is (uh oh) during lunch time as you can easily get hundreds of people using their LTE devices.

But yea. Verizon LTE used to top out in the 25-30ish mbps range before people started jumping on it.

Lol I knew it! :) It was totally obvious coming from NYC where all resource blocks and backhaul were in place. I was also testing in Fair Oaks and Carmichael and there was 30mbps all day not a bit over.

Lol I knew it! :) It was totally obvious coming from NYC where all resource blocks and backhaul were in place. I was also testing in Fair Oaks and Carmichael and there was 30mbps all day not a bit over.

Fair Oaks. Haven't thought about that place for a long time. There used to be a restaurant there called the Slocum House. If you ate outside on the patio, there were feral chickens and roosters that used to wander around the tables. I've had many business lunches in that place. I hear it closed down a few years ago.

Fair Oaks. Haven't thought about that place for a long time. There used to be a restaurant there called the Slocum House. If you ate outside on the patio, there were feral chickens and roosters that used to wander around the tables. I've had many business lunches in that place. I hear it closed down a few years ago.

Haha no I haven't heard of that one, but we went to Sunflower Drive-in and the scenery was the same... It was a vegetarian joint, famous for their nut burger. Chicken roaming around... That whole Sac area is such a beautiful place to live. My gf's folks are from there.

Hahaha reminds me that I've actually seen chickens running about in my neighborhood. We're literally miles away from any farmland and we're in an suburban area with our backs to the river and highway to the other side.

There used to be a restaurant there called the Slocum House. If you ate outside on the patio, there were feral chickens and roosters that used to wander around the tables. I've had many business lunches in that place. I hear it closed down a few years ago.

I heard that the chickens said you made them feel uncomfortable. They said you looked at them with this salivating glint in your eyes.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I heard that the chickens said you made them feel uncomfortable. They said you looked at them with this salivating glint in your eyes.

;)

AJ

Those chickens feared me based on my reputation alone. I did get some perverse pleasure out of ordering chicken dishes at that place.

I am glad I will be living in the stick's soon where I can use a crap load of data. Good by 10mbs max with painful drops to 200kbs on 4G LTE. I hope sprint will still have unlimited data and have 4G LTE up and running by the time my Verizon line ends in dec of this year. Most of all I can't wait to the Beep away from TWC and there stupid tech who have to reboot the modem 5 times just to say "yea I guess it has a issue, we will send some one". Then every time the "tech" come's He reboot's the thing like 2 or three times and then starts ripping cords out and pugging them in every way they can go in like I did not do ANY OF THIS ON THE PHONE WITH them already. Then just say's it works in some kind of way, or it works half way and the TWC speed test look's good so good by. Then repeat +1 to eating chicken's going to have some now at 8:30am for the win.

Edited by 4ktvs

• 2 months later...

Has VZW released an AWS capable handset yet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The Samsung Note '10 is the first Verizon device on sale to support AWS, but the Galaxy S4 will be the first Verizon phone on sale to support their AWS LTE network.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/29/samsung-galaxy-s-4-for-verizon-swings-through-the-fcc/

I vote for you to be the next sprint VP of network expansion. You obviously know how to run fiber to towers way better than the current people making 6 figures to plan and execute network vision.

Maybe the power of positive thoughts will run fiber from Sprint's backbone to the cell sites. Positive thoughts are cheap.

It would be foolish to so quickly to dismiss incompetence and inaction at the highest levels of the company. Obviously we have some ideas that would help Sprint.

Why do you need faster that 6-8 Mbps on a phone?

Why do you need faster that 6-8 Mbps on a phone?

6-8 Mbps on a speed test is a burst speed. It shows max capability. Consistent data speeds are always slower. 10-12 max would equal perfect conditions for 90% of mobile users.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

For everyday usage, give me latency, then speed. If I'm getting sub 40ms latency on LTE, even if the top speed is 6-8 Mbps, that can be a solid experience for Internet usage. Of course the speeds don't hurt but that's secondary for me.