LTE Discovery App for S4GRU

SpenceSouth

So far the 800 1x sites have been squawking the correct location for me in norcal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Excellent! It's great to hear that because it's hard to test it in an area without the 800. ;)

Also, because of the recent posts in this thread. We will be updating the information for the towers so that users will know that they aren't always accurate to the defined area currently in the app. We also have a few future plans for making the reported tower location more accurate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! It's great to hear that because it's hard to test it in an area without the 800. ;)

Quick note I just noticed the widget doesn't correctly display 800 when connected to it. Inside the app looks fine. But the widget is wrong. Let me know of you need any info to help debug.

Quick note I just noticed the widget doesn't correctly display 800 when connected to it. Inside the app looks fine. But the widget is wrong. Let me know of you need any info to help debug.

Thanks we are located in Florida where there is no 800mhz to test on so it's easy for us to miss something like that.  Let me look into it and get back to you.  Might be an easy fix.

• 8 months later...

Wow I haven't realized how long it has been since I have posted here.

As of today the latest version of LTE Discovery is on the market (v3.7) which is slowly going to be rolling out over the next few days due to the size and scope of the update.

Notable new features:

1. Advanced Visual 1x Logger-  The advanced visual 1x logger is a small part of a much larger project I have been working on.  However since it took so long to make this part I felt that it should be released and enjoyed now rather than later.  The premise of the logger is that it will identify, triangulate, and combine 1x800 and 1x1900 signals and towers into a single tower icon on the map.  I've found that the location algorithms I have created have seemed to be nearly spot on from the regularly reported systems values when the app has mapped three sectors so I am excited to see how this works out for everyone else.

2. EARFCN card- Thought this was something that was sorely needed since people have a lot of questions on EARFCN channels.  Simply put this card will show the projected EARFCN range.  The flip side of the card (pro version click) will allow users to calculate the frequency and band of EARFCN DL and UP channels.  There is also a check shortcut that can bring users into their debug or service screens to check their EARFCN values, but the methods it supports are very limited at the moment.

3. Fixed GPS Log- This one has been a long time coming... I have finally fixed the GPS Log and rebranded it as the LTE Log since there is a dedicated 1x logger as well.  The LTE Log screen shows all the sites you have detected.  There is a new LTE Log card addition that has automated queries as you log sites.  Basically it will show you the unique number of sites you have connected to and the unique number of band occurrences (not to be confused with total).  It is actually an amazingly useful feature to have and allows you to learn a lot of about the state of the LTE network around you at a glance.  The number of automated queries are limited to three on devices that fully report data and there are more planned on the way.

4. Live Band Indicators- I have added some well styled band icons to the live notification.  Again the idea is to allow users to get an idea of their current network at a glance and this has worked remarkably well in testing as well.

Well that's the list!  I hope you guys enjoy the update.  I have been working on it with my partner Dan for over a month and a half now nearly full time.  It feels great to finally be done and get people using it.  This is a VERY large update that touches on many core parts of the application so I won't be surprised to find a few bugs here and there.  If you find one please report it to me so I can get it fixed quickly.  Also if you absolutely cannot wait to get the update you can request to join the beta group to get instant access.

(Not the best staged images as they are all from the beta development stages, but you'll get the gist of it)

adataran.jpg

9y4emyge.jpg

ny3ape5a.jpg

veha7upy.jpg

• Like 9

Its almost 1 hour after your post, I figure I'll download the update, but I don't see it in the play store yet. It still shows version 3.6.1

TS

I didn't get a lot of beta feedback and upgraded A LOT of features so it is on a pretty slow rollout through out the week.  100% of users should have it by Thursday, but if you think you might want to be an active beta user you can PM me and I'll send you a link to request access at.  The beta group has access to the same public version that everyone else does (as of right now) but you would be able to get it tonight.

Do any of you guys have any idea why my G3 is connected to B41 but LTE Discovery and Signal Check is reporting the connection as B25? The engineering screen clearly states it's a B41 connection.

I posted this in the G3 thread as well.

http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6006-LG-G3&do=findComment&comment=338356

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Do any of you guys have any idea why my G3 is connected to B41 but LTE Discovery and Signal Check is reporting the connection as B25? The engineering screen clearly states it's a B41 connection.

I posted this in the G3 thread as well.

http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6006-LG-G3&do=findComment&comment=338356

Yeah, even though your G3 is showing a correct PLMN ID in engineering screen the system API's we both use are likely reporting incorrect info. I'd start by reporting it to LG... We might be able to find a work around for this eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah, even though your G3 is showing a correct PLMN ID in engineering screen the system API's we both use are likely reporting incorrect info. I'd start by reporting it to LG... We might be able to find a work around for this eventually.

Glad I'm not the only one feeling the pain.. man these OEMs love to make things difficult. Nice job on the new features, sounds like some great work! I have been dragging my feet on drawing up LTE band icons for my app, maybe this will motivate me to get moving ;)

-Mike

• Like 5

Glad I'm not the only one feeling the pain.. man these OEMs love to make things difficult. Nice job on the new features, sounds like some great work! I have been dragging my feet on drawing up LTE band icons for my app, maybe this will motivate me to get moving ;)

-Mike

No kidding there. Not that I'd ever switch but sometimes it kind of makes you envy Apple's one device model system. Thanks!

Everything is great with the update except when I go into the map and try to start 1x logging I get a force close.attachicon.gif Screenshot_2014-07-15-06-13-28.png

What phone model is that?

Can you try to start it again and then after it force closes go back to the map tab right away and press the Export Logcat button in the menu? That'll copy the logcat into a text file in /maptacular/ that you will be able to send me. Once I have that I should be able to figure out what's going wrong pretty quickly.

It is sent.

Can you try to start it again and then after it force closes go back to the map tab right away and press the Export Logcat button in the menu? That'll copy the logcat into a text file in /maptacular/ that you will be able to send me. Once I have that I should be able to figure out what's going wrong pretty quickly.

Its the GS5. I will do that now. Edited by Booeysr24

I do have really bad reception in the area where I work, so it could be just that.

I do have really bad reception in the area where I work, so it could be just that.

Well it still shouldn't crash...  I am probably not handling a null value somewhere a long the lines.  That particular part of the application gets very complicated.

• Like 1

Is there anyway to see if I am in a 5*5 or 3*3 zone in regards to LTE on the nexus 5?

Yes and no. On the EARFCN card if you hit the check button (or manually open your debug screen) you can view your downlink and uplink channels and plug them onto the frequency calculator.

If the center download frequency is not 866.3 then it is very likely you are on a 3*3 channel. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to automate this process on non-HTC devices since I can't access those EARFCN values.

I'm sure this is not the way you want to do this, but it will have to do until those API's open up to developers.

Well it still shouldn't crash... I am probably not handling a null value somewhere a long the lines. That particular part of the application gets very complicated.

New update 3.7.2 straightened it all out. Running all good now.
  • Like 1

There have been very few crash reports since v3.7.2.  The next update v3.7.3 should hopefully squash what's left of them.  If you get a crash export the logcat from me (in-app is preferred) and let me know how to duplicate it.

• Like 1