LTE Discovery App for S4GRU

SpenceSouth

Thanks for testing since I'm not rooted. I've been so busy I probably lost my trouble ticket to get a better phone, so until then, I'm keeping my phone stock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

No worries. I've wanted, for a while now, to root my Nexus 4, but just never got around to it. Have had this phone for two months and it's barely been used. But now I think I might go ahead and activate it on T-Mobile's $30 plan to see what the service is like around here. I like the device since it's always up-to-date all the time. I'll will most likely bring it overseas when I go traveling this summer since it's unlocked. :tu:

Not sure what your progress is on this, but I do have a (now) rooted 16GB Nexus 4 running 4.2.1. I did what you asked MacinJosh by converting LTE Discovery into a system app and tried running the app like normally. Unfortunately, the phone still won't go into Airplane Mode at all. I'm not sure what other things I could try, but let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks, if I stumble across any more potential "work-arounds" I'll send them your way. Progress on this issue is slow however... Google really doesn't want to let you access Airplane mode in API 17, which really baffles me. Why block access to such a harmless feature?

Anyways, I may have found some code that could allow it to work again. I'm working on writing it in such a way that if your phone is less than API 17 it will use the code I've previously written, but if it is API 17 (or above) then it will use an entirely different set of code.

Basically, it will switch between two different versions of the app according to the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay have a big addition to the LTE Discovery App today. Introducing the NV Tools Package in app upgrade:

1. New Mode: Cycle only when not connected to LTE

2. Live notification of current mode in status bar

3. User defined cycling wait time

4. Force screen on during use

5. (Beta) 800mhz SMR detection for Sprint Only

The 800mhz should work flawlessly, but I can't say that for sure because I have no 800mhz around me to test it on. You guys will have to let me know, in as much detail as possible, how it works for you.

This in-app upgrade is available for $2.49. Just want to be upfront with you guys and let you know its not out of greed we decided to charge for this upgrade. We have spent MUCH more time on this app than we initially anticipated, and while we very much enjoy working on it knowing we are helping our other wireless geek kind, we have have a business that needs to pay expenses so we can keep doing cool projects like this. For everyone who supports us by getting the upgrade, you have my very sincere thanks for helping us do what we do.

• Like 4

Hell I would pay 30 bucks for an app that puts a widget of the LTE sector number and strength, evdo PN/channel/strength, and 1x PN/channel/strength. That would be awesome!

Sent from my little Note2

A widget idea has been floating around here, but I am not sure about displaying signal strength. It was originally an idea of ours to eventually do signal strength, however I have no desire to take any potential downloads away from the other app on this forum. I believe we are aiming to serve different uses. I would probably provide other LTE details, but not 1x or EVDO.

Any issues or comments about the new features? Would always love some feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I was using your program today and it kept beeping at me while I was trying to map out some LTE in my area. I have the paid version with the "Cycle only when not connected to LTE" option. I have a feeling that the program kept beeping and notifying me that I was in an LTE area (via notification) since my log file has multiple listings of GPS coordinates that are generally all at the same time. The beeping was driving me nuts that I had to end up muting my phone.

I was using your program today and it kept beeping at me while I was trying to map out some LTE in my area. I have the paid version with the "Cycle only when not connected to LTE" option. I have a feeling that the program kept beeping and notifying me that I was in an LTE area (via notification) since my log file has multiple listings of GPS coordinates that are generally all at the same time. The beeping was driving me nuts that I had to end up muting my phone.

We've gotten a report of that from someone else and it appeared to be related to the custom ROM that he is using. I believe it was Blazer ROM. He had some success with unchecking the beta features, but we are still looking into a fix. I haven't been able to recreate this issue before (stock-HTC phone), but I'll go out and try again since you're on a different device. Let me know if there is any other way you can describe what the potential cause of this might be. Is it going in and out of 4G quickly, or was it in 4G the entire time? Only happened when device was rotated? Etc.

Thanks for passing this along to me. I appreciate it.

Anyone else experience this? Rooted or non-rooted devices? Custom ROM or stock?

We've gotten a report of that from someone else and it appeared to be related to the custom ROM that he is using. I believe it was Blazer ROM. He had some success with unchecking the beta features, but we are still looking into a fix. I haven't been able to recreate this issue before (stock-HTC phone), but I'll go out and try again since you're on a different device. Let me know if there is any other way you can describe what the potential cause of this might be. Is it going in and out of 4G quickly, or was it in 4G the entire time? Only happened when device was rotated? Etc.

Thanks for passing this along to me. I appreciate it.

Anyone else experience this? Rooted or non-rooted devices? Custom ROM or stock?

I'm on a stock, rooted ROM. I'm not dropping in and out of LTE since your program would be shutting off the radio if it did lose LTE, but it's still waiting for that to happen. I don't believe my phone was rotated, but I turn on the program and lay it flat on my dash, so it could be possible. The beeping seems to happen as I'm actually moving in the car, not when I'm at a stop light.

I'll try dropping my phone into a cup holder so it'll stay upright and see if that might be the case. I'll report back later.

Sent from my Rooted Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Here's a video I just made (sounds included) with what it's like for me to use your program. As you'll hear and see, the phone keeps beeping nonstop and the notification area keeps refreshing as I use the program. In this video, I was just standing still in one spot and it still was going off like crazy.

http://db.tt/YjtD3GYK

I'm willing to assist in any way in hopes to get this fixed. My temp fix for me at this time is muting the phone. Please let me know if you need more info from me. Thanks.

Phone: Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900)

Android Version: 4.1.2

Baseband: MA7

Build: LK8

Here's a video I just made (sounds included) with what it's like for me to use your program. As you'll hear and see, the phone keeps beeping nonstop and the notification area keeps refreshing as I use the program. In this video, I was just standing still in one spot and it still was going off like crazy.

http://db.tt/YjtD3GYK

I'm willing to assist in any way in hopes to get this fixed. My temp fix for me at this time is muting the phone. Please let me know if you need more info from me. Thanks.

Phone: Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900)

Android Version: 4.1.2

Baseband: MA7

Build: LK8

I walked around a 4G area for about an hour today trying to recreate it to no avail. I'm going to look into some options and get back to you. Have you flashed any custom kernals or anything else?

I walked around a 4G area for about an hour today trying to recreate it to no avail. I'm going to look into some options and get back to you. Have you flashed any custom kernals or anything else?

The only other things I've done is flashed a Custom Recovery (TWRP 2.4.3.0) and kernal (MA7) via Mobile Odin. Otherwise I'm running everything from stock firmware (rooted). I think I'll install digiblur's ROM, reset everything back to square one, and reinstall all programs, etc. My phone has been rebooting itself randomly when I copy things to the clipboard from Gmail and I'm not sure why it does it. Hopefully a fresh install will get things in working order. I'll report back afterwards.

Just an update...

Installed digiblur's ROM and followed all his instructions to install t3project's MA7 All in One Firmware and his ROM using TWRP. Did a fresh install of LTE Discovery and reconfigured it with the same options I had before. Sadly, the phone is still beeping like there's no tomorrow with the notifications continuously showing up. :( I guess I can just mute the notifications volume for now, but I won't hear if I get new emails from work, which could be an issue.

Anyway, if you figure something out, let me know, and I'll do what I can to help. Thanks.

Any issues or comments about the new features? Would always love some feedback.

I'm having the same issue with the phone constantly notifying me of LTE found when set to "cycle only when not connected to LTE". A simple option to disable the notification (or notification sound) would solve this. Stock MA7, Galaxy Note II. Happened while driving around mapping with Sensorly at the same time.

That, and, I doubt I can recreate this, but it also stopped working and crashed on me today! Despite being on the "cycle when not connected" mode, it kept cycling over and over. When I went to check the app and hit "stop", it crashed. No idea if there are any logs I can send you.

Has anyone been able to give the 800smr detection a go?

This I will say, works great! Combined with digi's PRL, and I picked some up. However, it seems that the BSID, SID, and NID aren't recorded when an 800 MHz entry is added. It does work, though: I have a screenshot from CDMA Field Test I can post.

I'm having the same issue with the phone constantly notifying me of LTE found when set to "cycle only when not connected to LTE". A simple option to disable the notification (or notification sound) would solve this. Stock MA7, Galaxy Note II. Happened while driving around mapping with Sensorly at the same time.

That, and, I doubt I can recreate this, but it also stopped working and crashed on me today! Despite being on the "cycle when not connected" mode, it kept cycling over and over. When I went to check the app and hit "stop", it crashed. No idea if there are any logs I can send you.

This I will say, works great! Combined with digi's PRL, and I picked some up. However, it seems that the BSID, SID, and NID aren't recorded when an 800 MHz entry is added. It does work, though: I have a screenshot from CDMA Field Test I can post.

I'd have to guess that the crash must have been related to persistent sound. We will roll out a turn off audio button either today or tomorrow as temp fix. Still trying to recreate the issue ourselves. Not sure if it is only affecting Samsung devices, but we haven't heard of the issue from any other device user yet.

Glad to hear that 800smr detection works well! We thought the code looked solid, but we have no place in the entire state to test this yet hence the beta. We will add the GPS data and wait for more feedback before taking that feature out of beta.

Just learned that we do have an option to remove/change the audio notification already created. It was going to be released later in the week when other updated were added, but I am going to have the update sent out today.

Rooted Samsung devices seem to be the common factor with all the users having this issue....

Just an update...

Installed digiblur's ROM and followed all his instructions to install t3project's MA7 All in One Firmware and his ROM using TWRP. Did a fresh install of LTE Discovery and reconfigured it with the same options I had before. Sadly, the phone is still beeping like there's no tomorrow with the notifications continuously showing up. :( I guess I can just mute the notifications volume for now, but I won't hear if I get new emails from work, which could be an issue.

Anyway, if you figure something out, let me know, and I'll do what I can to help. Thanks.

What version of Android are you guys running?