LTE Discovery App for S4GRU

SpenceSouth

I downloaded the app and turned it on for a bit while I was in Raleigh. No 4G popped up, and it seems like the one tower where it was active before has been turned off for now.

Also, I experienced a crash with the app. I set the phone down on the console while I was driving and picked it up at a light. I didn't notice any screen rotation, but when I picked up the phone the app crashed.

Looking forward to using this...I've been wanting an app or some way to get notified when I switched to 4G.

Thanks for the app!!!

Haven't been able to pinpoint the crash as of yet, but I think it's related to the screen rotation or to the phone sending an "unknown" for too long.... I'm on it though!

Your very welcome for the app! Glad I could help!

• Like 1

I was driving in 3g coverage. Launched app. Cycled until I drove into 4g. Drove further and went back to 3g but app didn't do anything when I went back to 3g. I thought it kept checking if you were still in 4g. Is this normal. And night mode would be nice too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I was driving in 3g coverage. Launched app. Cycled until I drove into 4g. Drove further and went back to 3g but app didn't do anything when I went back to 3g. I thought it kept checking if you were still in 4g. Is this normal. And night mode would be nice too.

There is a check box on the main screen that would keep it checking. I figured most people would want to do something once it found 4G, like run speedtest or manually open sensorly, so that is why it stops and lets the phone lock onto the 4G.

Night mode is a great suggestion! That will be something very easy to add to the next update! Thanks!

There is a check box on the main screen that would keep it checking. I figured most people would want to do something once it found 4G, like run speedtest or manually open sensorly, so that is why it stops and lets the phone lock onto the 4G.

Night mode is a great suggestion! That will be something very easy to add to the next update! Thanks!

Well i basically want to run sensorly and this app at the same time while driving to and from work. So the check box kicks it into airplane mode no matter what after 30. I was hoping it would check if it was still in 4g and if was just start counting down again. If not in 4g then cycle airplane mode.

Well i basically want to run sensorly and this app at the same time while driving to and from work. So the check box kicks it into airplane mode no matter what after 30. I was hoping it would check if it was still in 4g and if was just start counting down again. If not in 4g then cycle airplane mode.

Ah I see what you're going for. Something similar to that is already being planned in a future update. I just wanted to get the app out as soon as possible for now.

Sounds like a great app! I will definitely start using this on my cross-town drive to/from work once anything is announced for my market (I'll have upgraded to a Note 2 by then). Thanks for putting in all the time and work for this!

Yes, that change would make the app more useful, particularly since occasionally my EVO has a momentary blip of what I like to call "phantom LTE" (maybe it's due to blocked sites down here in 3G land, maybe the phone is just confused).

A couple of other things I'd like to see:

- A one-touch way to get out of the coordinates screen and go back to the main one; "back" when you've come in from the notification pulldown takes you out of the app, not back to the main screen.

- The connection monitor on the main screen working whether or not the scan loop is on (e.g. show the network type all the time, not just what it was the last time the app was scanning).

Other than that, it works nice in 4G areas... was able to map a lot more in Sensorly in NW Georgia on Wednesday (Rome seems to have fairly decent coverage already, for example). Thanks for the app!

• Like 1

Yes, that change would make the app more useful, particularly since occasionally my EVO has a momentary blip of what I like to call "phantom LTE" (maybe it's due to blocked sites down here in 3G land, maybe the phone is just confused).

A couple of other things I'd like to see:

- A one-touch way to get out of the coordinates screen and go back to the main one; "back" when you've come in from the notification pulldown takes you out of the app, not back to the main screen.

- The connection monitor on the main screen working whether or not the scan loop is on (e.g. show the network type all the time, not just what it was the last time the app was scanning).

Other than that, it works nice in 4G areas... was able to map a lot more in Sensorly in NW Georgia on Wednesday (Rome seems to have fairly decent coverage already, for example). Thanks for the app!

Thanks for the feedback! Got a lot of work to do since I've got all of these suggestions!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys we have a very large update that will be pushed to the Play Store soon. Just need to get a few quick tests done before we upload it. The major update includes:

New UX and UI improvements

Scan now ignores phantom LTE

App continuously displays connection type on main page

GPS has been improved to include NID, SID, BSID, Date, and Time

Optimizes background tasks

This updated has been long awaited, and I am glad to announce we got caught up on our other projects so we could pump this out for you guys. My partner in crime, Dan Goodwin, put a lot of his own time into this app recently so if guys would, send him a quick thanks through the feedback option in the app. He doesn't follow the forum and see all the comments praising his hard work so I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

As always sound off with your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for all the great feedback you all have given us that went into this update.

And most importantly, thanks for your support!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

uploadfromtaptalk1358655302925.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool to have so many devs around here.

I do admit I have put the buggy in front of the horse as I have been reverse engineering the debug screens and how they are called before I have even done my first hello world app. If I can read the compiler, read and edit some smali ibam sure I can pick it up in due time though.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Hello SpenceSouth, I've veen using the app since yesturday morning when I got the update notice on my GS3. I like the app in general. However, it seems to have a big bug.

Basically, whenever it detects 4G, it plays an alert sound and jumps to the GPS screen. All similar to the old app. However, once at that GPS screen, there is apparently an issue when I click either the Back button on my phone or the 'go back to Home Page' button at the top right in the app. When I do either thing, the app immediately puts my phone back into airplane mode. And, unusually quickly says it has detected LTE. This will happen as long as I am connected to 4G, but not 3G, etc.

The only way I can keep this from happening is to either leave the app on the GPS screen until I loose 4G, or click my phone's Home button to close the app. Changing the Auto-repeat on LTE setting has no effect, as the app triggers airplane mode immediately, without counting down, as I mentioned before.

For some background, I have a stock 16GB Sprint Galaxy S3, running stock Sprint Android 4.1 1. The only thing I have done is rooted my stock phone. I run no AntiVirus SW, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

• Like 1

Hello SpenceSouth, I've veen using the app since yesturday morning when I got the update notice on my GS3. I like the app in general. However, it seems to have a big bug.

Basically, whenever it detects 4G, it plays an alert sound and jumps to the GPS screen. All similar to the old app. However, once at that GPS screen, there is apparently an issue when I click either the Back button on my phone or the 'go back to Home Page' button at the top right in the app. When I do either thing, the app immediately puts my phone back into airplane mode. And, unusually quickly says it has detected LTE. This will happen as long as I am connected to 4G, but not 3G, etc.

The only way I can keep this from happening is to either leave the app on the GPS screen until I loose 4G, or click my phone's Home button to close the app. Changing the Auto-repeat on LTE setting has no effect, as the app triggers airplane mode immediately, without counting down, as I mentioned before.

For some background, I have a stock 16GB Sprint Galaxy S3, running stock Sprint Android 4.1 1. The only thing I have done is rooted my stock phone. I run no AntiVirus SW, etc.

Thanks a lot for the report I'm going to look into it later today. I try to test all my apps very thoroughly, so I don't know how this slipped through. Ill have a fix along shortly.

SpenceSouth. Thanks for your work on the app. It is very handy. It saves me fiddling with my phone too much while I'm driving around...

One suggestion for a future update possibly... Could there be a feature added that would allow the app to be set to automatically start scanning for 4G, when 4G is lost? That would be very nice to have when mapping the edges of coverage on Sensorly.

Edited by Majorzaid

SpenceSouth. Thanks for your work on the app. It is very handy. It saves me fiddling with my phone too much while I'm driving around...

One suggestion for a future update possibly... Could there be a feature added that would allow the app to be set to automatically start scanning for 4G, when 4G is lost? That would be very nice to have when mapping the edges of coverage on Sensorly.

That is a feature we have been looking to implement, but it might possibly come in a pro/plus version- not exactly sure yet. If we were to make a pro/plus version it would have other advance features like 800mhz detection, but I'm not sure if that's a route I want to go in. I very much like having a free app for users of all technical level to use as they wish, but it has been brought to me as something I need to consider.

I'll keep you updated of course.

That is a feature we have been looking to implement, but it might possibly come in a pro/plus version- not exactly sure yet. If we were to make a pro/plus version it would have other advance features like 800mhz detection, but I'm not sure if that's a route I want to go in. I very much like having a free app for users of all technical level to use as they wish, but it has been brought to me as something I need to consider.

I'll keep you updated of course.

I'd have no problem paying a dollar or two for the app, if it does what I want it to do. But, ya gotta iron out the bugs first... ;)

Had my first LTE hits driving home from work a few minutes ago. Definitely exciting!

Thanks again for the app, SpenceSouth!

• Like 1

So we ran through the code last night and think we may have found what was causing the issue you experienced. It will have been corrected in the update that was pushed this morning. Now we haven't been able to replicate the issue under our test conditions (we simulate an LTE connection to avoid driving to an LTE site all the time). So if the issue happens again, let me know and we'll get it taken care of.

Also, thanks for your donation I really appreciate it. If we do introduce a premium version of the app, regardless of what we decide to price if for, I'll make sure you get it at no expense.

So we ran through the code last night and think we may have found what was causing the issue you experienced. It will have been corrected in the update that was pushed this morning. Now we haven't been able to replicate the issue under our test conditions (we simulate an LTE connection to avoid driving to an LTE site all the time). So if the issue happens again, let me know and we'll get it taken care of.

Also, thanks for your donation I really appreciate it. If we do introduce a premium version of the app, regardless of what we decide to price if for, I'll make sure you get it at no expense.

Thanks! I got the update this morning. I'll try to test the newly updated ap very soon. I'll let you know if I experience any problems...

MajorZaid

I'd have no problem paying a dollar or two for the app, if it does what I want it to do. But, ya gotta iron out the bugs first... ;)

Same here. No LTE anywhere close yet so I'm mostly just lurking t the moment.