LTE Discovery App for S4GRU

SpenceSouth

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to say great job on adding EARFCN support to LTE Discovery! Works great on my Nexus 6P, which doesn't have an engineering screen to show that information. I actually just added a pull request to add this functionality to Signal Detector (https://github.com/lordsutch/Signal-Strength-Detector/pull/1/files) because I didn't realize you had implemented it. 

Is there any chance you can add the earfcn to the logs? It would be useful to be able to track it. Perhaps have a new log entry when the earfcn changes for a given GCI as well. Sprint has been shuffling their earfcns for B41 lately as they shutdown WiMAX and add more B41 carriers, and also as they've been rolling out 10x10 FDD B25. 

Also, are there any public Intents that could be broadcast by other apps to enable/disable settings in LTE Discovery? Specifically, I'd like the ability to turn Crowdsource, Live Notifications, and Site Logging on and off programatically. I'd prefer not to have them running all the time, but if there were public Intents then I could use Tasker to control it and enable those features when I'm driving and/or charging, then disable them afterward. I'm not asking that you make a Tasker plugin for it, just to have a BroadcastReceiver to listen for intents and update the app settings accordingly. 

Lastly, is it possible to add the ability to import/export a database of known site locations? Flompholph compiles the data from market specific tracking spreadsheets and makes a site database that can be imported into Signal Check Pro. This allows it to display the name and location of the site (drawn from a "user_note" field), along with showing the user_notes and distance for neighbor cells. It would be nice to have this functionality in LTE Discovery as well, and would allow the actual site location to be shown in the Map tab. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to say great job on adding EARFCN support to LTE Discovery! Works great on my Nexus 6P, which doesn't have an engineering screen to show that information. I actually just added a pull request to add this functionality to Signal Detector (https://github.com/lordsutch/Signal-Strength-Detector/pull/1/files) because I didn't realize you had implemented it.

Is there any chance you can add the earfcn to the logs? It would be useful to be able to track it. Perhaps have a new log entry when the earfcn changes for a given GCI as well. Sprint has been shuffling their earfcns for B41 lately as they shutdown WiMAX and add more B41 carriers, and also as they've been rolling out 10x10 FDD B25.

Also, are there any public Intents that could be broadcast by other apps to enable/disable settings in LTE Discovery? Specifically, I'd like the ability to turn Crowdsource, Live Notifications, and Site Logging on and off programatically. I'd prefer not to have them running all the time, but if there were public Intents then I could use Tasker to control it and enable those features when I'm driving and/or charging, then disable them afterward. I'm not asking that you make a Tasker plugin for it, just to have a BroadcastReceiver to listen for intents and update the app settings accordingly.

Lastly, is it possible to add the ability to import/export a database of known site locations? Flompholph compiles the data from market specific tracking spreadsheets and makes a site database that can be imported into Signal Check Pro. This allows it to display the name and location of the site (drawn from a "user_note" field), along with showing the user_notes and distance for neighbor cells. It would be nice to have this functionality in LTE Discovery as well, and would allow the actual site location to be shown in the Map tab.

There is a confident requirement for the site info. We could not have them crowd sourced. But it would be great to allow them to be loaded to be displayed along with the GCI and on local maps.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is a confident requirement for the site info. We could not have them crowd sourced. But it would be great to allow them to be loaded to be displayed along with the GCI and on local maps.

I assumed the crowdsource feature simply sends the current data that's being received from the device, and wouldn't send user notes or imported/past data. But you're right, we wouldn't want the imported data to be uploaded for crowdsourcing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Is it actually displaying the true EARFCN for you? On my Nexus devices, I just see a generic range that corresponds to the current LTE band. If so, that is awesome and they definitely have a leg up on my developer skills!

-Mike

• Like 2

Is it actually displaying the true EARFCN for you? On my Nexus devices, I just see a generic range that corresponds to the current LTE band. If so, that is awesome and they definitely have a leg up on my developer skills!

-Mike

There are some quirks, but I have seen it work on one of my phones.

-Mike

Yes, it's the true EARFCN. The code I submitted to Signal Detector hardcodes /dev/smd11, but it seems on other devices they may use /dev/smd0. /dev/smd3 or smd7 may also be valid. My device (Nexus 6P) has the other files, and I believe they all respond to the inquiry, but I haven't tested to verify. I'm not sure what the difference is between them, if any.

I would probably recode it to first check which smd files exist (using ls /dev/smd* ), then of the ones that are there, try each until one works (maybe in a certain priority?). And if none work or the ls command returns exit code 1 (file not found), then gracefully fail and don't display the EARFCN. I think LTE Discovery does it that way, and always attempts to get the true EARFCN, and if it can't it just displays the range.

Feel free to take the code I linked to in my earlier post if you want to add it to SCP. I'd go ahead and make the change for the filename mentioned above as well, but I'm waiting on the pull request to be accepted first. I'm happy to help you implement this feature in any way that I can, if you're interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 3