LTE Discovery App for S4GRU

SpenceSouth

Ignore the random line... Still working the kinks out of this beta version. I used the app to monitor my drive from Orlando to Jax and observed something pretty interesting. My phone only dropped down to 3G six times during the two and a half hour drive. That's how solid Sprints LTE coverage is in Florida now. It was a solid mix of B25 and B26 the entire way up.

huqupy4e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ignore the random line... Still working the kinks out of this beta version. I used the app to monitor my drive from Orlando to Jax and observed something pretty interesting. My phone only dropped down to 3G six times during the two and a half hour drive. That's how solid Sprints LTE coverage is in Florida now. It was a solid mix of B25 and B26 the entire way up.

huqupy4e.jpg

Awesome!!! If you need a beta tester for the G3, that's also in Jax, let me know.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Awesome!!! If you need a beta tester for the G3, that's also in Jax, let me know.

Could always use more beta testers. Feel free to request access to the group and I'll add you.

bit.ly/ltebeta

Cool just added you. Just follow the directions in the about section to get started.

Got it! Thanks! I've only spent a few minutes with the beta version so far, but the map functionality works much better now! I'll play with it more tomorrow.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Got it! Thanks! I've only spent a few minutes with the beta version so far, but the map functionality works much better now! I'll play with it more tomorrow.

Thanks again!

The beta should have the B41 fix to the problem you have been seeing as well.

The beta should have the B41 fix to the problem you have been seeing as well.

I'm happy to report that the B41 issue is no longer present. The map function works flawlessly as do the live notifications! Over all, great work!

I have seen the app hang a little while logging.

• Like 2

I'm happy to report that the B41 issue is no longer present. The map function works flawlessly as do the live notifications! Over all, great work!

I have seen the app hang a little while logging.

Great glad to hear it!

Yeah I've noticed some lag myself. A tune up is definitely on the schedule.

• Like 3

New version of LTE Discovery rolling out (v3.7.10)

The prime feature is the ability to create Custom Bands.  For all of you GS4 or GS5 users whose devices seem to unreliably report the PLMN ID used to identify B41, you can program the app to detect those sites as B41 using the area code and TAC instead.  If you guys have already gathered data which is bad because of these device errors, the app will go back and recalculate the band for any logs that fit the conditions.

I highly recommend being as specific as possible when programming a new band.  Try to use at least two fields (highly recommend one being the area code or TAC/or both) and be absolutely sure any field you do not want considered is left blank.  Any bands that are computed from user defined values will be marked by an asterisk in the logs.

Also, I am going to be setting up a remote database fed by a community spreadsheet so we can get a list of band rules available to any S4GRU sponsor who may need them.  Hopefully this will help considerably with identification of Sprint B41 8t8r sites.  If we could also get enough users who are present in Clear B41 markets to volunteer the area code and TAC info then we can alleviate B41 identification issue for all GS4/GS5 users.  I am going to be creating an easy way for devices to pull and import these rules of trusted members from the spread/database.  I don't know if the community would get behind this, but I'm hopeful users would like and enjoy it.

If anyone would like to help manage the spreadsheet and submissions from users I would greatly appreciate it.  I will not be able to do it myself in addition to the upkeeping of the app at the moment, so it would be great to have a few volunteers to help moderate the process.  This way we can ensure the gathered data is accurately handled and has a degree of verification.  Otherwise, I am likely just going to have an open spreadsheet that anyone could add to.

x0KuRNb.png

xP2VA6q.png

HeDlHr1.png

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Have a new version of LTE Discovery rolling out for all users today.  Among other things, this version contains a pretty hefty performance update so that should help alleviate any performance issues you may be having.  Thanks to all the beta developers for helping me fine tune this one!

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

When using the LTE discovery app what is the yellow arrow telling me direction to or from tower or something else.

When you are connected to a voice tower, the yellow arrow points to direction of the coordinated site. It kind of acts like a compass.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting force close trying to export logs, sent the force close report!

Also put in beta request!

Thanks I'll add you in a little bit! Can you do me a favor and send a debug email with a small note in it as well? Those give a lot more contextual info.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New version of LTE Discovery released! v3.11.2

Wow, it's been about two months since Spence and I last released to LTE Discovery to 100% of the public. In that time we have still been making lots of improvements, so the recent updates prompt is going to be long for those of you that still have v3.8.1.

Here's some of the highlight changes from v3.8.1 (which 80% of users have):

- More accuracy for many devices

- Brand new alerts system (beta setting, with even more coming soon)

- Ability to start on boot (Pro)

- Added reset connection button to the "Live Mode" notification when not on LTE (Pro)

- Lots of performance enhancements, especially for users with many logs

- Greater compatibility for 2767 more devices

- And more :)

- Danial Goodwin -

One of the developers for LTE Discovery

• Like 4

Wow, it's been about two months since Spence and I last released to LTE Discovery to 100% of the public. In that time we have still been making lots of improvements, so the recent updates prompt is going to be long for those of you that still have v3.8.1.

- Added reset connection button to the "Live Mode" notification when not on LTE (Pro)

- Danial Goodwin -

Lots more... I think we packed so many small features and improvements into this one that we lost track of some of them!

• Like 3

- Danial Goodwin -

How is sprint B41 identification coming along? Is it pretty accurate?

How is sprint B41 identification coming along? Is it pretty accurate?

If the phone in question reports GCI and PLMN then B41 identification should be spot on. We actually even made some headway into pulling GCI from devices where the Android system insists that the GCI is always null. Cough cough Samsung...
  • Like 3

Hey Spence how about a true black background for us oled screen users. Might help us save some batt juice when we have lte discovery running for prolonged periods of time.

I just finished bugging mikejeep about this with good results ;)

• Like 1

Hey Spence how about a true black background for us oled screen users. Might help us save some batt juice when we have lte discovery running for prolonged periods of time.

I just finished bugging mikejeep about this with good results ;)

Yeah I don't think we would have any problems throwing down true black behind the card styling we have going on. I'll see about adding a setting option for that.
  • Like 2

Lisa from Mobile tech review actually used your app in her video. You guys should be happy.

You can't tell me something like this and not drop me a link lol. I'd spend all day going through her videos instead of finishing my AI project lol.

Having a hard time providing a link. Its the note 4 vs droid turbo at 4 mins 45 secs.

You can't tell me something like this and not drop me a link lol. I'd spend all day going through her videos instead of finishing my AI project lol.

• Like 1