LTE handoffs Vs. EvDo Handoffs

New to the forums here. I know I've learned more in the last month that I have in all my years prior! Love all the info here and am extremely optimistic about the future of Big YELLOW!

Anyhoo, my question is about handoffs between towers on LTE vs EvDo (Not LTE to EvDo but LTE to LTE). I use most of my data streaming audio. Generally I'm only using <2Gb/month to do so listening to 128-192kbps streams, usually on my way to work (but also when I travel). My commute from home to work is from urban downtown Milwaukee to suburban SW Milwaukee County, roughly 15 miles. On some days I make the drive without skipping a beat. On other days, I lose the stream 5-10 times. Sometimes I have trouble in the morning, other days in the evening. When I travel to my parents place (125 Miles to the NW in the middle of BFE), I generally make the drive without skipping a beat.

It seems I'm losing data switching from tower to tower in urban areas, but not always. I do not seem to have this issue switching on rural towers over long stretches of highway. I would think that 128kbps should not be terribly affected by overall saturation of the network, especially since this happened both prior to and after MANY band-aid improvements Sprint has made here over the last year.

I know this may seem a trivial annoyance, but streaming audio (ie not being constrained to increasingly terrible terrestrial radio), is my favorite feature of owning a smartphone. Since Sprint is deploying LTE across it's existing tower footprint, does NV and everything that comes with it greatly improve the handoffs between towers so that a consistent stream of data can be reliably delivered to end devices without interruption?

Thanks for your input!

It should be seamless handoffs, but some highways, especially rural highways, are spaced for 1x voice. EV-DO should cover the whole area, but LTE has a smaller usable area. Worst case, it should handoff from LTE to eHRPD back to LTE and not cause any service interruption.

Some areas are spaced for handsets that actually had a gain of an antenna that pulled out of the phone. Even 1x won't hand off with some of today's handsets.

Did Sprint ever have handsets with pullout antennas?

Memory could be failing me but I don't remember any sprint phones with them.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Did Sprint ever have handsets with pullout antennas?

Yep, were you alive circa 1997-2004?

2churn7.jpg

qr0yo3.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

Yep, were you alive circa 1997-2004?

2churn7.jpg

qr0yo3.jpg

AJ

Lol! I was very much alive however i guess i had not contracted the sickness I have now where I pay attention to these things. I did not realize they carried phones with antennas. I always thought that was a benefit to pcs since extendable antennas were not required.

I do have to confess that most of that era I was a Verizon or Nextel customer. Neither of those companies at the time I was a subscriber had phones without extendable antennas.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Lol! I was very much alive however i guess i had not contracted the sickness I have now where I pay attention to these things. I did not realize they carried phones with antennas.

Ah, I have a challenge for members. I would argue that two series of phones did more than any others to advance the cosmetic transition to internal antennas. Name both of them. Credit also given for other interesting answers.

AJ

• Like 1

Ah, I have a challenge for members. I would argue that two series of phones did more than any others to advance the cosmetic transition to internal antennas. Name both of them. Credit also given for other interesting answers.

AJ

The Moto Razr is one of them for sure (i still have one). Maybe on of the PDA's from that period? I believe palm was making some stuff then as well along with a plethora of windows mobile devices..

The Moto Razr is one of them for sure.

Ding ding ding! We got one.

AJ

Do I get to play?

No, Scott, this is a private poker table. Besides, you are not in Vegas yet.

;)

AJ

I'm gonna go with this one for the other.

Whoa, I am impressed! You guys are good. But bigzeto, I can give you only partial credit, as that is close but not quite the answer that I am seeking. However, you can try again for full credit.

AJ

No, Scott, this is a private poker table. Besides, you are not in Vegas yet.

;)

AJ

Rats, I was going to say iPhone, but I guess I'll go to the lounge instead... :-)

It smells like farts though.

Whoa, I am impressed! You guys are good. But bigzeto, I can give you only partial credit, as that is close but not quite the answer that I am seeking. However, you can try again for full credit.

AJ

Well, the 5110 was extremely popular as you could replace the face plates on it, but it didn't really have an internal antenna I guess.

nokia-5110.gif

Some areas are spaced for handsets that actually had a gain of an antenna that pulled out of the phone. Even 1x won't hand off with some of today's handsets.

Sent from a little old Note 2

That's for sure. I drop calls on I-15 just outside of Baker everytime because of tower spacing. Hopefully the RRU's will help with that problem.

I'm gonna go with this one for the other.

Nokia-3310-02.jpg

I still have my old Nokia 3390. That phone sure took a beating in the year and a half I used it. I upgraded to the Nokia 3595.

Good. We had a flurry of activity last night, but then nothing. I was disappointed that seemingly no one else had decided to take up the mantle of my challenge.

The Sony Ericsson T series is a good guess, but I am looking for something just slightly older. The Motorola RAZR, which was correctly guessed very quickly last night, is the latter of the two that I have in mind. The RAZR came later and basically slammed the door shut on external/extendable antennas

AJ