Asurion insurance warning

Feech

I had to use my insurance on my son's Nexus yesterday after he had dropped it in the water a few months ago. I was so mad at him that I said maybe he didn't deserve the phone and purposely did not file the claim until yesterday

When I called them I was denied coverage the reason being that the phone had not been in use for over 60 days. I freaking lost it over the phone with the lady then asked for a super who gave me a one time courtesy of covering the phone. I was still pissed though and plan on speaking with someone at the insurance commission to see if that is legal. I know it's a small amount every month but I also know that there are rules that insurance companies need to abide by. I asked numerous times if they had sent a cancellation notice and what was the business reason for that (I would have been cool if they could come up with one for still charging for coverage even though they had canceled with no prior notice) anyone have any dealing with them? I'll go Squaretrade from now on.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The 60 days to report a claim is in the terms and conditions on the TEP page of the contract.

To get a round this put it back on his line and wait a day and file a claim. Hopefully they did not mark the esn DBR or something already.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

I had to use my insurance on my son's Nexus yesterday after he had dropped it in the water a few months ago. I was so mad at him that I said maybe he didn't deserve the phone and purposely did not file the claim until yesterday

When I called them I was denied coverage the reason being that the phone had not been in use for over 60 days. I freaking lost it over the phone with the lady then asked for a super who gave me a one time courtesy of covering the phone. I was still pissed though and plan on speaking with someone at the insurance commission to see if that is legal. I know it's a small amount every month but I also know that there are rules that insurance companies need to abide by. I asked numerous times if they had sent a cancellation notice and what was the business reason for that (I would have been cool if they could come up with one for still charging for coverage even though they had canceled with no prior notice) anyone have any dealing with them? I'll go Squaretrade from now on.

I've found in my experience that if Sprint stores or assurion give you problems with insurance, calling Sprint CS will help.

When my brother's nexus s power button stopped working, the sprint stores refused to work on it due to the per existing cracked screen. Assurion wanted $100 for replacement. I repeatedly tried to work with sprint cs to get the problem resolved. Eventually they just credited our account for the cost of the deductible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The 60 days to report a claim is in the terms and conditions on the TEP page of the contract.

To get a round this put it back on his line and wait a day and file a claim. Hopefully they did not mark the esn DBR or something already.

They gave it to me after a fight so that wasn't an issue. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. They were saying because the phone hadn't been used (talk, text, data) the claim was denied. The phone was still active on my account, and the insurance was being paid for the whole time.

The only time both service centers i've worked at send people to assurian is for water damage, cracked screen, lost or extreme damage like the charging port is missing or half the phone is in pieces. Im sorry

Lynard -That store is retarded. Was it corporate or third party

I work for a service center, and a lot of times the part is not available to fix the device. So the only other alternative is to switch the device out through advanced exchange, which can not be done due to the cracked screen. So therefore, an insurance claim must be filed.

I work for a service center, and a lot of times the part is not available to fix the device. So the only other alternative is to switch the device out through advanced exchange, which can not be done due to the cracked screen. So therefore, an insurance claim must be filed.

I completely missed the part about the cracked screen. Yea anything cracked is automatically an assurian claim. I feel like an idiot lol

I don't think that's the point at all. The point was that he was still being charged for the service even though he was not eligible for it. Why would the company willingly steal your money? A notice should be sent 20 days before insurance expires, calls should be made just prior, and you should not be charged for the services any longer once that time is up.

Is it actually in the T&C that the phone must not only be active on the line, but that it must have been used? That seems an odd thing. Why would they care if the phone was turned off for a couple of months? I can come up with lots of reasons for that to be the case, like not being able to afford the deductible, being out of the country, or even in the hospital recovering from a serious illness for an extended time.

Is it actually in the T&C that the phone must not only be active on the line, but that it must have been used? That seems an odd thing. Why would they care if the phone was turned off for a couple of months? I can come up with lots of reasons for that to be the case, like not being able to afford the deductible, being out of the country, or even in the hospital recovering from a serious illness for an extended time.

That was my point. I told the lady I could think of a million reasons why I would have the phone being used. Illness, death, deployment, and in my case punishment for my son ruining another phone. I was heated. I wonder how many people they get like this every year that won't fight.

That was my point. I told the lady I could think of a million reasons why I would have the phone being used. Illness, death, deployment, and in my case punishment for my son ruining another phone. I was heated. I wonder how many people they get like this every year that won't fight.

I hate to have to fight to get something I believe is appropriate, but I do so more and more as I get older. I'm sure I'm going to end up being the stereotypical angry old man in twenty years, if I live that long!

To me, the big part of this is that they didn't stop charging. If non-use cancels the contract, then they no longer have a right to charge you once that point is reached. Of course, since they have nothing stopping them from charging, they certainly won't do it voluntarily!

• Like 1

Thankfully Feech, they did the right thing after you got after them. It's a shame though you had to do that. If it's in the TOS...fine. but like Cripton says above, they should notify you through all available channels and then stop charging you insurance monthly fees. That would be the right way to handle their TOS.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I've always heard just get your phone insurance through a standard home insurance company, but I also heard don't use your own as it could up your rates if you lose/break your phone often enough. Probably what I will do when I get a new phone. It's a lot cheaper and they will replace for free with less questions asked. Can anyone else verify that this seems like a good idea?

Lynard -That store is retarded. Was it corporate or third party

THIS. You would imagine the phones being extremely modular nowadays, but you'd be surprised, even from one generation to the next.

For example, the Galaxy S II. The SD card slot is entirely removable and replaceable, the speakerphone and headset jack as well, but the earpiece speaker is attached to the board directly. So your earpiece gets blown? Replacement, can't be fixed in store.

On the other hand you have phones like the HTC EVO Design, even the charging port is replaceable on that device, it's on a separate board along with the SD card slot and SIM card slot. The Galaxy nexus has the charging port attached to the LCD assembly, so if either goes out both are replaced.

It's quite interesting seeing how some companies decided to design their devices. Quite often it isn't at all with the intent of field repair in mind unfortunately.

You want to know why? They are an insurance company. They make money off of people fearing they might do something to their device. They make money by denying claims based on terms and conditions that nobody reads. Every insurance company does this, just look at the health care system in any country without centralized universal health care. Every claim they approve is a direct loss to the company. Every claim they deny is a chance to prevent that loss, even if it is later approved in an appeal, they still made money off of it in the interim (through investments, etc; just the same way banks work).

Anyway. The point of the post was just to let you guys know how they do things. It was likely in the terms but I didn't read them and that was my fault. At the same time I was couldn't see why the phone being used would be a stipulation of coverage. Still can't. I plan on writing a nice letter to the insurance commission here in Florida.

THIS. You would imagine the phones being extremely modular nowadays, but you'd be surprised, even from one generation to the next.

For example, the Galaxy S II. The SD card slot is entirely removable and replaceable, the speakerphone and headset jack as well, but the earpiece speaker is attached to the board directly. So your earpiece gets blown? Replacement, can't be fixed in store.

On the other hand you have phones like the HTC EVO Design, even the charging port is replaceable on that device, it's on a separate board along with the SD card slot and SIM card slot. The Galaxy nexus has the charging port attached to the LCD assembly, so if either goes out both are replaced.

It's quite interesting seeing how some companies decided to design their devices. Quite often it isn't at all with the intent of field repair in mind unfortunately.

Interesting, if I may interject - do Sprint Corporate Retail stores have more access to replenished parts than Preferred Retailers? As a PR, we have no access to replenished parts of the type you mention (S2 SD card assembly, Galaxy Nexus LCD, etc). Obviously, the dealer can purchase them at their own cost, but that rarely happens.

Actual new parts availability is identical to the preferred retailers, we have no direct control over our inventory, it is managed based on usage automatically. We use a part more often, we get more of them. We can harvest returned or exchanged devices however, so while a lot of the parts are not new, they work flawlessly and fix the customer's issue without having to replace the entire phone and lose customer info along the way.

Actual new parts availability is identical to the preferred retailers, we have no direct control over our inventory, it is managed based on usage automatically. We use a part more often, we get more of them. We can harvest returned or exchanged devices however, so while a lot of the parts are not new, they work flawlessly and fix the customer's issue without having to replace the entire phone and lose customer info along the way.

Oh, yes, harvesting is available to us, as well. I suppose it's different in a high-volume store; I work in a (very) rural, low-volume area, so the ability to exchange at all is usually 2-5 instances a month, if that. We've had more than a few months with a 0% harvest rate, simply because it didn't make sense or couldn't be done.

But - no control over your inventory at all? Sheesh, that's worse! We at least can purchase parts which get reimbursed. We've been buying a lot of Evo Shift Flex Cables, for example (since they're no longer replenished). It's a common repair, and not having the part is nasty.

Yeah we can't request specific parts, it is all monitored based on our usage and eticket history. There are certain parts we never have (like Shift flex cables because when we do get replenished, we only get a few to last us two weeks). Our store's exchange rate usually hovers around 450-500 per month, We are the busiest store in our District, if not the Area.

• Like 1