3g performance in yuma

Ryan

just went back to sprint yesterday and again they let me down. 220 down 630 up. then later in the evening data service went completely dark and still is....not sure if this is local or if its just sprints crappy service. it sucks cause i really want to get behind sprint as a company, but their service is horrible. unfortunately i cant afford any other service. just came from att which has 4g hspa+ here in yuma and i was getting on average 3-6 megs and on a good day 6-9 megs. but couldnt afford that, my luck. anyway anyone is yuma having problems with their sprint service...and what areas seem to be working the best.... :) o and good morning everyone

We have another member from Yuma named Hypeo. Maybe he will come and chime in with his experiences. I know that they are not good, though.

Currently, Sprint is out deploying band-aid fixes ahead of Network Vision. You can go to network.sprint.com and enter your city to see if any of these temporary fixes are coming your way in the short term.

In the long term it will take Network Vision to solve your issues. You can stay tuned to S4GRU.com. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday we publish an article discussing a new Network Vision market planned for 2012 and where it fits in the schedule.

- Robert, S4GRU

Posted via Forum Runner

• 2 weeks later...

The network.sprint.com map was fairly cool till I logged in the other day and got upset. :( Oddly enough they removed my local tower from getting any upgrades. Zip 29569 ... I still hope they plan to do something in this area. There's not much towers or coverage which makes it hard to leave the main roads.

Thanx for the reference Robert. I'll chime in with what little I know. Ryan we are all feeling your pain. I've been in contact with Sprint about the low data speeds, constant dropped calls, and failed SMS. They have stated that by the end of March is when we will see all the tower upgrades and data speeds increase. I'm starting to doubt though because it was starting to get better a couple of weeks ago with the data speeds, then the last 5 days has been horrible. I'm getting as high as 43kbps up and 27kbps down.

We have several areas that has unofficial 4g. You can go to clear.com and punch in yuma are code (85364) and it will tell you the coverage. Remember it is unofficial so don't expect the sprint stores to know much about it.

Im just waiting till the end of march to give them a call again.

Good areas with decent speeds are area of Ave B and 20th street, 8E and 32nd street.

Marginal areas are around the marine base, Ave C and 8 th street all the way East across town..

Bad areas are area of 24th street and Ave A, the mall area. ( if your by the mall area, turn your 4g on if your outside, you might get lucky.

Hope this helps

We have another member from Yuma named Hypeo. Maybe he will come and chime in with his experiences. I know that they are not good, though.

Currently, Sprint is out deploying band-aid fixes ahead of Network Vision. You can go to network.sprint.com and enter your city to see if any of these temporary fixes are coming your way in the short term.

In the long term it will take Network Vision to solve your issues. You can stay tuned to S4GRU.com. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday we publish an article discussing a new Network Vision market planned for 2012 and where it fits in the schedule.

- Robert, S4GRU

Posted via Forum Runner

Edited by Hypeo

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys appreciate the feedback. but i do have another question. i currently work at yuma proving grounds and sprint has ZERO coverage here. do you guys think there is any chance they will be expanding it out here, especially since its a military base and verizon and to an extent att have coverage (att barely has coverage and mean barely usable)?

Don't know if YPG is the same as Dugway Utah military base, but Dugway blocked all cell coverage and they kept AT&T because they had a contract with them.

That might be the case there. Another thing you could do is ask sprint about coverage there and keep bugging. The aqueeky wheel gets the grease.

Sent from my geriatric Evo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, I saw some work being done to a tower on Ave B & 20th street in Yuma. I went to check network. Sprint. Com and I could not see any scheduled. This is legacy 3g tower. I don't know who the other provider is. Do you have any info in your arsenal? +32° 41' 35.82", -114° 39' 9.94 4cb26d3e-9970-61f5.jpg

• Like 1

Robert, I saw some work being done to a tower on Ave B & 20th street in Yuma. I went to check network. Sprint. Com and I could not see any scheduled. This is legacy 3g tower. I don't know who the other provider is. Do you have any info in your arsenal? +32° 41' 35.82", -114° 39' 9.94

This is a confirmed Sprint site. Site ID #PH12AL018. However, only the top panels look like Sprints. The big bottom ones look like Verizon LTE panels. Does Verizon have LTE deployed in your area? They might be working on it now.

Also, if it is someone working for Sprint, it would have to be voice and EVDO carrier or backhaul upgrades. NV Engineering is not complete in the Tucson/Yuma market yet. So it would be virtually impossible for them to be beginning NV there at this time.

Robert

VZ does not have LTE here yet. I think they follow the same markets as sprint; Tucson/Yuma market. Those big panels have been there for a while. the top Sprint panels have been there for about 1 1/2 years when we got upgraded from 1X data to EVDO. I did see a couple of Century Link trucks down the road. so it could possibly be the added capacity..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Time to bump up Y town.. :D

Robert: looking at the site 32.597625, -114.668083more infoAddress:transparent.png; I thought this was a nextel tower. the panels look nothing like the regular sprint towers, though I was connected there with 3G. I've seen Sprint working there a few times before. Any new info on this site??

• 1 month later...

New member also from Yuma area...frustrated with Sprints speeds here. Speeds are like dial up, worse sometimes. I live in the Foothills,, coverage was so bad had to get an Airave (for free) just so I could use my phone at home.

I know its been said Yuma will get upgraded with Phoenix/Tucson markets but does anyone really think that will happen? What's to say they just upgrade Phoenix and leave Yuma out in the cold (so to speak since its definitely not cold here).

I've been with Sprint for almost 12 years, don't want toswitch carriers, but if they don't get their act together by next summer when my contract is up I'm switching.

I know its been said Yuma will get upgraded with Phoenix/Tucson markets but does anyone really think that will happen?

Yes. Yes, I do.

What's to say they just upgrade Phoenix and leave Yuma out in the cold (so to speak since its definitely not cold here).

If Sprint did that, it would be the only market to date they have done this in with their LTE deployment. Sprint is upgrading its entire network in a program called Network Vision. Network Vision involves removing and replacing every single piece of hardware on every single site in the country, and upgrading the backhaul to support ultra fast wireless broadband connections.

And while they are upgrading each site to new Network Vision standards, they are also adding LTE. Adding LTE while they are there for Network Vision upgrades is a pretty small deal, all things considered. So Sprint is deploying LTE on every site of theirs nationwide through early 2014.

So I do believe Yuma will get LTE deployments with Phoenix and Tucson. Just like New Bedford received LTE with Boston, Joliet is getting LTE with Chicago, Athens is getting LTE with Atlanta, Wichita is getting LTE with Kansas City, Waxahatchie is getting LTE with Dallas, Galveston is getting LTE with Houston, New Braunfels is getting LTE with San Antonio, Annapolis is getting LTE with Baltimore, etc., etc.

Sprint is deploying LTE over entire markets and upgrading its entire network. It is not focusing on specific communities within those market boundaries, because all the sites need to be upgraded. Sprint's deployment looks so much more different than Verizon or AT&T for this reason. Because it doesn't end at the edge of the Metro Area for major communities. It goes to the end of the market boundary.

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks for ur response, it makes me feel better. Just frustrated with these horrible speeds. I can hold out I guess to see how the rollout goes.

I understand your frustrations. But please be patient with Sprint. My data speeds in Nevada suck really bad too, not to mention my signal is almost useless, so there have been times I felt like leaving too, but this site gives me hope.

I understand your frustrations. But please be patient with Sprint. My data speeds in Nevada suck really bad too, not to mention my signal is almost useless, so there have been times I felt like leaving too, but this site gives me hope.

I can hold out, we've been with Sprint from almost 12 years, started out back with Nextel. They've always done me right so I'll just hold out hope the rollout occurs sooner rather than later.

FanOfSkynyrd; hang in there, we are starting to s see some improvements in the area, I've been keeping track and constantly monitor speeds around town. Just remember that just like a vehicle, you can't change the oil and give it maintenance while its running. Same applies to cell towers, so if you are experiencing some severe outages or severe internet speeds, it might be that the towers are being maintained or upgraded. I'm starting to see some progress at network.sprint.com. You can also keep track and trace progress there.

We all feel the frustration.

Edit: areas that have significantly improved (take significantly with grain of salt; that just means it is way better than what it was) are the areas of Yuma Palms, MCAS, Airport, Somerton AZ, Ave B North East of 20th street, Down Town Yuma by the court house. I get download speeds from around 2 or 300kbps up to 1200 kbps depending on the time of day.

FanOfSkynyrd; hang in there, we are starting to s see some improvements in the area, I've been keeping track and constantly monitor speeds around town. Just remember that just like a vehicle, you can't change the oil and give it maintenance while its running. Same applies to cell towers, so if you are experiencing some severe outages or severe internet speeds, it might be that the towers are being maintained or upgraded. I'm starting to see some progress at network.sprint.com. You can also keep track and trace progress there.

We all feel the frustration.

Edit: areas that have significantly improved (take significantly with grain of salt; that just means it is way better than what it was) are the areas of Yuma Palms, MCAS, Airport, Somerton AZ, Ave B North East of 20th street, Down Town Yuma by the court house. I get download speeds from around 2 or 300kbps up to 1200 kbps depending on the time of day.

I get pretty good speeds (200-400kbps do / 300-500kbps ul) in town. My main concern is out where I live in the Foothills. I'm off exit 12, speeds really stink out here. I've checked network vision and it doesn't show any new cell towers going in. I've seen one new tower go in out here but I suspect its Verizon or ATT since no noticeable change in coverage.

I get pretty good speeds (200-400kbps do / 300-500kbps ul) in town. My main concern is out where I live in the Foothills. I'm off exit 12, speeds really stink out here. I've checked network vision and it doesn't show any new cell towers going in. I've seen one new tower go in out here but I suspect its Verizon or ATT since no noticeable change in coverage.

The site network.sprint.com does not show Network Vision upgrades. They only show 3G/voice maintenance upgrades handled by Ericsson under their nationwide network maintenance contract. These are temporary upgrades to help provide some incremental improvements prior to Network Vision starting.

Network Vision should arrive in the Tucson/Yuma market some time this Winter. But it will take 6-8 months to complete 100%.

Robert

• Like 1

I get pretty good speeds (200-400kbps do / 300-500kbps ul) in town. My main concern is out where I live in the Foothills. I'm off exit 12, speeds really stink out here.

Hmm, is this suburban Yuma or the transistor topology of an ARM processor?

2ltsnlh.jpg

AJ

• Like 6

Hmm, is this suburban Yuma or the transistor topology of an ARM processor?

2ltsnlh.jpg

AJ

That's just the East side, it's full of trailer parks to accommodate the almost 100k people that flock here in the winter

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yup, most of the stuff south of I-8 are RV parks and mobile home parks. I live on the north side in Mesa Del Sol, mostly single family homes there.

Speaking of snow birds, they will be here in force in about a month!

Yup, most of the stuff south of I-8 are RV parks and mobile home parks. I live on the north side in Mesa Del Sol, mostly single family homes there.

Speaking of snow birds, they will be here in force in about a month!

yes I know, they have started to show up already, with that comes a bog down of the network since our population doubles...

hey hypeo i was wondering if sprint has a cell site at telegraph pass? I did some research and i couldn't really determine if sprint has one and /or nextel. The reason i ask is cause since i live in wellton i go through dome valley to get to ypg for work, its wierd cause sometimes i will have signal all the way to 95 then black out for a bit, then when i get to imperial dam rd the signal comes back for maybe two miles then blacks out again, which is normal and reflects the coverage from sprint. But some times i will either be going to work or going home and i will either loose signal at the dairy in dome valley or regain signal there. It's been doing that off and on for about a year now, and i can't pinpoint the reason. My prl is up to date, and went through the sprint troubleshooting customer service. I thought maybe it was problems with a tower at telegraph pass, or maybe the wellton tower serves all the to imperial dam rd and the signal just fades in and out since its really far. And come to think of it, i have a friend that lives right by the dairy and my signal will fade sometimes for 15-20 minutes at a time. Does anybody have any ideas?

http://goo.gl/maps/fhynv

Edited by Ryan