Network Vision/LTE - Delaware market (including Wilmington, Dover, Laurel and Elkton MD)

cjinohio03

800 is on in Dover, but appears to be blocked at the moment. Today was the first day I caught a glimpse of it here when I powered up my phone.

I have no idea of it is related to NV, but it appears that someone is string a bunch of fiber in this area as well....

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Dover market, I was sitting in class one morning at Deltech's Terry Campus and I saw LTE show up on my phone for a couple of minutes. Haven't seen it since, but I heard a couple friends have also seen blips show up around Dover Downs. 

Also, I usually don't put too much stock into what Sprint employees say about LTE deployment, but the guy at the store seemed pretty confident about the end of May being the official launch for LTE in Dover. The timing would make sense, there's gonna be 100k+ tourists for Firefly in mid June, so that'd be a good time to bolster up their network in the area.

Regarding the Dover market, I was sitting in class one morning at Deltech's Terry Campus and I saw LTE show up on my phone for a couple of minutes. Haven't seen it since, but I heard a couple friends have also seen blips show up around Dover Downs. 

Also, I usually don't put too much stock into what Sprint employees say about LTE deployment, but the guy at the store seemed pretty confident about the end of May being the official launch for LTE in Dover. The timing would make sense, there's gonna be 100k+ tourists for Firefly in mid June, so that'd be a good time to bolster up their network in the area.

How long ago? As Shannonbrian mentioned we haven't had any activity south of the canal. All the NV equipment has been installed at all but two sites south of the canal. However we are still waiting for the highspeed backhaul to be connected/installed to turn on LTE here. If you caught some testing recently that is a good sign.

The blips around Dover Downs on Sensorly are from the NASCOWs that Sprints brings around for the races, I would assume they probably brought them last year to Firefly as well.

I was in Dover for the weekend, and obviously it was a mediocre experience. No sense complaining about the lack of LTE, I knew that going into it. But it seems like Dover (and the rest of lower Delaware) just needs more sites to be a well-functioning market. I was staying on Sackarackin ave. (ha!), dead center of Dover, and occasionally would lose service entirely in his house. eHRPD was awful, even outdoors.

Went down to Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, and completely lost service outdoors and indoors. 800 LTE won't even help once it's turned on, since 1x1900 wasn't even available to me on my N5.

Is there a reason the site density in lower Delaware is so poor? Looking at the maps it seems like this state was Sprint's "Budget" market.

I was in Dover for the weekend, and obviously it was a mediocre experience. No sense complaining about the lack of LTE, I knew that going into it. But it seems like Dover (and the rest of lower Delaware) just needs more sites to be a well-functioning market. I was staying on Sackarackin ave. (ha!), dead center of Dover, and occasionally would lose service entirely in his house. eHRPD was awful, even outdoors.

Went down to Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, and completely lost service outdoors and indoors. 800 LTE won't even help once it's turned on, since 1x1900 wasn't even available to me on my N5.

Is there a reason the site density in lower Delaware is so poor? Looking at the maps it seems like this state was Sprint's "Budget" market.

Of course having LTE and 800 would help, but in many (but not all) locations of Dover 3G is tolerable (I live here). The density is okay in Dover but I can think of a couple locations that would help too.

A big reason for the low density is a result of the growth around here in the last 10 years or so. There are a lot of developments that probably didn't exist when Sprint (or whatever carrier they bought) originally built out here, and new sites have not been added (well one was). Look at Smyrna or Middletown. Smyrna (and some of the surrounding area) could probably use another 5 sites... I could probably map out at least 2 dozen potential sites that would go a long way south of the canal...

Farm land a lot areas . Stay close route one good 3g and 1x. 800 voice not fully on in all areas too.

I started to realize that on the way home during the daylight.... it's as if 98% of the state is rural!

Of course having LTE and 800 would help, but in many (but not all) locations of Dover 3G is tolerable (I live here). The density is okay in Dover but I can think of a couple locations that would help too.

A big reason for the low density is a result of the growth around here in the last 10 years or so. There are a lot of developments that probably didn't exist when Sprint (or whatever carrier they bought) originally built out here, and new sites have not been added (well one was). Look at Smyrna or Middletown. Smyrna (and some of the surrounding area) could probably use another 5 sites... I could probably map out at least 2 dozen potential sites that would go a long way south of the canal...

Interesting! So the existing structures are probably what Sprint was using back in the 2000s when it was adequate?

And wow, Smyrna is hurting, you aren't kidding. This is an interesting state to follow, I hope Sprint starts adding sites once the fervor of NV1.0 and 2.0 is over.

How long ago? As Shannonbrian mentioned we haven't had any activity south of the canal. All the NV equipment has been installed at all but two sites south of the canal. However we are still waiting for the highspeed backhaul to be connected/installed to turn on LTE here. If you caught some testing recently that is a good sign.

The blips around Dover Downs on Sensorly are from the NASCOWs that Sprints brings around for the races, I would assume they probably brought them last year to Firefly as well.

Less than a week ago, April 2nd or 3rd. Like I said, though, the guy at the Sprint store near the mall seemed really confident about an "end of may" official deployment. I asked and he didn't hesitate or give me an "ummmm" first like I've seen with so many others. Unless they were just told to say that to push Framily this month with Sprint paying ETFs and such.

• Like 1

Less than a week ago, April 2nd or 3rd. Like I said, though, the guy at the Sprint store near the mall seemed really confident about an "end of may" official deployment. I asked and he didn't hesitate or give me an "ummmm" first like I've seen with so many others. Unless they were just told to say that to push Framily this month with Sprint paying ETFs and such.

It is certainly not the right time of the year for an LTE NASCOW to be around, so that is a good sign if you caught a signal (it figures that would happen while I was out of town). If anything, it at least shows the contractors are out there. I (and a lot of us on this site) wouldn't put a lot of stock in to what a Sprint employee at a store might say though...