slowsprint

Will LTE Advanced require years of upgrading as well?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows how the upgrade to LTE Advanced will go? Is it just a software upgrade? Or are they going to have to go to every cell site and do some physical hardware upgrade?

Is it true Sprint is going to move LTE to the 850 mhz spectrum occupied by IDEN when they finally get rid of nextel? Will this require new hardware?

I'm just trying to understand how long it will actually be until sprint has comparable service to ATT and VZ. It looks like its going to be at least 6 months, probably closer to a year.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

1. LTE Advanced is supposed to be only a software upgrade over LTE on the NV equipment Sprint is using. Most of the benefits like 4x4 MIMO will be for tablet users, however.

2. LTE on ESMR (not really 850) is in addition to the LTE on the 1900 G block. Devices that support LTE on ESMR will be released in mid-2013; they should be able to take advantage of carrier aggregation for higher speeds than on 1900 alone. Existing LTE devices will still work, but only with LTE on 1900. (Sprint may also put LTE on additional 1900 bands in the future, which all existing devices currently support.)

• Like 1

So lets say Sprint aquires the 1900 mhz H block. All the devices today can support that already?

So lets say Sprint aquires the 1900 mhz H block. All the devices today can support that already?

They are not certified for it and neither is any of the equipment on the towers.

The PCS/AWS-2 H block is only in the planning stages. It does not yet exist.

So, all Sprint LTE devices support PCS A-G blocks, while some LTE devices from other carriers (e.g. AT&T, USCC) support the more standard PCS A-F blocks.

AJ

I know this forum isn't for at&t but based on what you are saying, at&t must be planning on using pcs along with 700 to deploy lte?

Just wondering about the iPhone 5 specifically, it supports LTE bands 1, 3 , 5, 13, and 25. Band 5 is in that 850mHz range. Will it not work with the netxtel frequency band?

Edited by cab2g

The Nextel band is 800mhz. The iphone 5 does not support it at all.

Just wondering about the iPhone 5 specifically, it supports LTE bands 1, 3 , 5, 13, and 25. Band 5 is in that 850mHz range. Will it not work with the netxtel frequency band?

The Nextel band is 800mhz. The iphone 5 does not support it at all.

Be careful with your facts, guys. The CDMA2000 version of iPhone 5 does support SMR 800 MHz, but only for CDMA1X/EV-DO, not for LTE.

CDMA1X/EV-DO 800 is called band class 10, while LTE 800 is deemed band 26.

AJ

• Like 6

It is so great to have all this knowledge here on one board!!!!! :tu:

• Like 1

My guess would be that by a year from now, most LTE capable phones sold in the US would include bands 4, 25, and 26. These fully cover Sprint and T-Mobile and partially cover VZW and AT&T. Devices sold by Verizon would add 13 and those by AT&T will add band 17. Basically, there would be two types of devices sold in the US: 4/25/26/13 and 4/25/26/17. These two combinations would pretty much support any conceivable reframing any of the big 4 might undertake in the next few years.

Edited by GoWireless

I am not so sure if Sprint can bid on the H block if they buy Clearwire. Sprint would have a ton of spectrum even though its 2.5 GHz and maybe put them over the top. I don't really like the timing of Clearwire deal.

• Like 1

So when can we expect LTE to be operating on the 800 mhz if at all?

Your negativity and skepticism are not going to bode well for you on this site. Sprint can't even begin LTE deployment on 800mhz until they shut down iden in June 2013.

• Like 5

Your negativity and skepticism are not going to bode well for you on this site. Sprint can't even begin LTE deployment on 800mhz until they shut down iden in June 2013.

It was a simple question. Not negative. And I'm not sure why skepticism would not bode well on this site.

Will it require hardware upgrades to operate on 800mhz?

• Like 1

It was a simple question. Not negative. And I'm not sure why skepticism would not bode well on this site.

Based on your comment "if at all" and your screen name, it sure came off as a little trollish. And if you are a troll, then you won't last long here. That is his point.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

To answer your question, CDMA 800 support exists on all Sprint LTE devices and some of their WiMax devices in the past year. LTE 800 support will not arrive on any Sprint devices until some time in 2013.

To answer your question, CDMA 800 support exists on all Sprint LTE devices and some of their WiMax devices in the past year. LTE 800 support will not arrive on any Sprint devices until some time in 2013.

Can't wait to see it on my Galaxy S IV. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Can't wait to see it on my Galaxy S IV. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Don't jinx it yet. I am hoping for it as well :P. It is still unconfirmed whether 800 MHz LTE support will be added to the Galaxy S4. Hopefully when the FCC OET filings come out for the Sprint Galaxy S4 we can find out more information about which LTE frequency bands will be supported.

I know this forum isn't for at&t but based on what you are saying, at&t must be planning on using pcs along with 700 to deploy lte?
AT&T is also deploying LTE on band 4 (AWS, 1700/2100MHz; same as Verizon and T-mobile).

GigaOm last year speculated that AT&T will also deploying LTE on bands 2 (PCS, 1900MHz) and 5 (cellular, 850MHz). The current iPhone 5 GSM A1248 supposedly supports the bands, according to FCC documents.

And AT&T will likely also roll out LTE on the WCS frequency (2300MHz). Just got FCC approval to do so (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-scores-aws-23-ghz-wcs-spectrum-lte/2012-12-19).

GigaOm: http://gigaom.com/2012/09/13/whats-att-planning-hidden-specs-unearthed-in-the-gsm-iphone-5/

ExtremeTech: http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/136199-iphone-5-a-confusing-mess-of-network-support

• Like 2

Don't jinx it yet. I am hoping for it as well :P. It is still unconfirmed whether 800 MHz LTE support will be added to the Galaxy S4. Hopefully when the FCC OET filings come out for the Sprint Galaxy S4 we can find out more information about which LTE frequency bands will be supported.

They are out and it doesn't look like it supports 800Mhz LTE, though it does support CDMA 800, and then it supports some HSPA for international use it seems.

That is, if I'm reading it right, and it's the right device.

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1926219

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=640611&fcc_id=A3LSPHL720

They are out and it doesn't look like it supports 800Mhz LTE, though it does support CDMA 800, and then it supports some HSPA for international use it seems.

That is, if I'm reading it right, and it's the right device.

https://apps.fcc.gov...html?id=1926219

https://apps.fcc.gov...c_id=A3LSPHL720

Yes, you are reading it right, the S4 does not have 800 or 2500 MHz LTE support. See AJ's article for more details.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-343-a-short-time-from-now-in-a-galaxy-not-far-away/