Sprint makes official offer to acquire Clearwire

marioc21

I have 10 acres and my femtocell does pretty good' date=' but I'm also not completely isolated from the macro network either. Location and antenna selection makes a big difference too.

I could see foliage attenuation, but not powerline interference.

So there is currently a picostation request process?[/quote']

I live about 3/10ths of a mile from high transmission power lines now. A couple years ago the power company put them in, and right after, I noticed a measurable drop in signal around my home. And the foliage is no denser than it was 8 years ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

Sprint has agreed to pay a $120 million break up fee to Clearwire should the acquisition not be completed by October of next year. In return, Clearwire is not allowed to seek a better offer from another buyer.

AJ

It's hilarious, isn't it. It's about as close as you can get to zero. There are no other buyers @ 2.2B+debt.

It's hilarious, isn't it. It's about as close as you can get to zero. There are no other buyers @ 2.2B+debt.

Masayoshi Son is not finished wheeling and dealing. There are more deals coming. Bank on it. The guy is fearless but also has good instincts.

I live about 3/10ths of a mile from high transmission power lines now. A couple years ago the power company put them in, and right after, I noticed a measurable drop in signal around my home. And the foliage is no denser than it was 8 years ago.

Unless the lines and or support structures are smaller than a wavelength or some close harmonic apart, they will have zero impact on the traversal of RF. Now when you get down to the AM band, you can expect some interference due to the wavelength of the wire and noise injection from bad transformers, etc.

Your observations have no technical basis.

And as usual, little knowledge used to write most of the comments below the article too.

That goes for every Internet forum, including this one. Unfortunately, the Sprint nay-sayers have valid points. Sprint took way to long to have a wide-spread viable plan that works out. Sure post-NV, it'll be great, but that hasn't happened yet. The reason behind the situation doesn't matter. The fact that it'll be cured network wide in a year and a half or whatever also doesn't matter. What matters is what the current situation is like to many of the users across much of the area.

• Like 1

I want to throw this up for discussion and I am assuming that the Sprint/Clearwire transaction goes through. What is Sprint going to do with all that spectrum? I don't think they will need all that spectrum for smartphones. So, do they use it for fixed broadband, car wireless connectivity, internet of things, or what?

? I am just talking about the comically low breakup fee.

I know, it is very low and there was no other credible offer. It was either Sprint or bankruptcy. Masayoshi Son is a good deal maker and sees the value in distressed companies like Sprint and now Clearwire.

I want to throw this up for discussion and I am assuming that the Sprint/Clearwire transaction goes through. What is Sprint going to do with all that spectrum? I don't think they will need all that spectrum for smartphones. So' date=' do they use it for fixed broadband, car wireless connectivity, internet of things, or what?[/quote']

In my uneducated opinion, I would think the fcc will require them to divest/sell some of it , if they dont voluntarily agree to do so anyway. Scoring FCC approval could be interesting.

In conjunction with my post above, here are some scientific developments that obviate the need for additional spectrum:

The method -- time-domain transmit beamforming -- involves digitally creating a time-domain cancellation signal, coupling it to the radio frequency front end to allow the radio to hear much weaker incoming signals while transmitting strong outgoing signals at the same frequency and same time.

Today's wireless radios use two separate channels to transmit and receive signals, but full duplex radios transmit signals at the same time in the same frequency band. This can double the efficiency of the spectrum, but the problem is often interference between the transmission and receiving functions on full duplex radios.

http://www.innovationgeneration.com/author.asp?section_id=2807&doc_id=256003&

And algebraic answers to the capacity crunch:

http://www.innovationgeneration.com/author.asp?section_id=2557&doc_id=253598

In my uneducated opinion, I would think the fcc will require them to divest/sell some of it , if they dont voluntarily agree to do so anyway. Scoring FCC approval could be interesting.

I wonder if Sprint will try to get rid of the EBS portion and keep the BRS portion. EBS is mostly leased, so they should try to get rid of that first. Dish? DirectTV?

What new FCC requirements? My FCC reading has been tied up with their 3550 - 3650 NPRM.

That low spectrum is nice and important, but over-rated for all but ultra-rural areas.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2840-fcc-announces-service-rules-for-pcsaws-2-h-block/page__view__findpost__p__80659

That low spectrum is vital for building penetration and rural coverage. I can't wait for June and 1xA SMR...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the Sprint nay-sayers have valid points. Sprint took way to long to have a wide-spread viable plan that works out. Sure post-NV, it'll be great, but that hasn't happened yet. The reason behind the situation doesn't matter. The fact that it'll be cured network wide in a year and a half or whatever also doesn't matter. What matters is what the current situation is like to many of the users across much of the area.

Give me a break.

If all you care about is the end results, then, sure, the background "doesn't matter." But S4GRU is intended first and foremost as a resource for network enthusiasts who care as much, if not more about the process, circumstances, rationale than they do the end result. So, do not tell me that those other factors, unequivocally, do not matter

I hope that Robert will chime in on this one, as I do not care for your attitude in the above post.

AJ

• Like 1

http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__80659

That low spectrum is vital for building penetration and rural coverage. I can't wait for June and 1xA SMR...

Thanks for the link to the low EIRP of the H block.

Trust me, I know fully well the advantages of different frequency ranges. While the bulk of my experience is in 5 GHz, I have experience in deploying outdoor gear in 3.65 GHz, 2.4 GHz and 900 MHz. I am in the process of a project deploying 11, 18 and 24 GHz links. Later this year, I'm hoping to deploy links in 60 and 80 GHz.

I will stand by my statement that sub 1 GHz spectrum with licensed power levels is nice and important, but over-rated for all but ultra-rural areas.

In conjunction with my post above, here are some scientific developments that obviate the need for additional spectrum:

The method -- time-domain transmit beamforming -- involves digitally creating a time-domain cancellation signal, coupling it to the radio frequency front end to allow the radio to hear much weaker incoming signals while transmitting strong outgoing signals at the same frequency and same time.

Today's wireless radios use two separate channels to transmit and receive signals, but full duplex radios transmit signals at the same time in the same frequency band. This can double the efficiency of the spectrum, but the problem is often interference between the transmission and receiving functions on full duplex radios.

http://www.innovatio...&doc_id=256003

And algebraic answers to the capacity crunch:

http://www.innovatio...7&doc_id=253598

No, there is little need for additional spectrum if you intelligently manage what you already have.

Give me a break.

If all you care about is the end results, then, sure, the background "doesn't matter." But S4GRU is intended first and foremost as a resource for network enthusiasts who care as much, if not more about the process, circumstances, rationale than they do the end result. So, do not tell me that those other factors, unequivocally, do not matter

I hope that Robert will chime in on this one, as I do not care for your attitude in the above post.

AJ

To the consumer of a given service, all that matters to them is the service level they are receiving. Yes, I greatly appreciate the information that Robert contributes, but it is just pieces of information for us to geek out about. It isn't a replacement for Sprint to have done this correctly in the first place. Yes, I understand what is being built and how it will benefit the user experience once complete, but it is a year or two behind when it should have happened.

If you think I don't care about the process to building a network, you are sadly mistaken. I won't say I'm the only one, but I am one of probably very few on this forum that have designed, built, supported and sold services off of their own network. I have spoken at wireless industry conferences. I will be building my own fiber optic networks this summer. I have contributed rather unique photos of Network Vision sites to this forum.

I guess while out surveying new private links for a customer I should be shaking in my boots (actually, I may be because it's pretty cold outside) that you didn't care for my tone.

• Like 1

To the consumer of a given service, all that matters to them is the service level they are receiving. Yes, I greatly appreciate the information that Robert contributes, but it is just pieces of information for us to geek out about. It isn't a replacement for Sprint to have done this correctly in the first place. Yes, I understand what is being built and how it will benefit the user experience once complete, but it is a year or two behind when it should have happened.

If you think I don't care about the process to building a network, you are sadly mistaken. I won't say I'm the only one, but I am one of probably very few on this forum that have designed, built, supported and sold services off of their own network. I have spoken at wireless industry conferences. I will be building my own fiber optic networks this summer. I have contributed rather unique photos of Network Vision sites to this forum.

I guess while out surveying new private links for a customer I should be shaking in my boots (actually, I may be because it's pretty cold outside) that you didn't care for my tone.

Clearly you think quite highly of yourself given the last line you felt compelled to include. Complaining over and over again about Sprint's network gets old and is not what this board is for. I agree that to many people all that matters is the current quality of the network, but then again, most people aren't running speed tests to determine the quality of the network all the time.

Can I play peacemaker here? It is clear to everybody, and I hope to mhammett, that this board is not a Sprint rant board. There are are plenty of other boards for that. What this board is all about is technical insights into the technology that Sprint and it's competitors are deploying, speculation about future business and technological developments and some insights and news on already existing and future devices. Even iOS vs Android fighting is discouraged. So, everybody calm down and just enjoy what this board has to offer.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 6

Clearly you think quite highly of yourself given the last line you felt compelled to include. Complaining over and over again about Sprint's network gets old and is not what this board is for. I agree that to many people all that matters is the current quality of the network, but then again, most people aren't running speed tests to determine the quality of the network all the time.

I don't constantly complain (and I certainly have grounds to), but dismissing the complaints as severely as is done is incorrect. Usually they're met with "You're wrong" or "You're stupid". No, they're very correct, this just isn't the venue for it unless you have a thorough question. I started with Nextel in 2001 and went to a hybrid phone when I could do EVDO and iDen on the same device. I went to the EVO 4G when Clear hadn't fully built out the area (and hasn't). I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago and routinely travel throughout the suburbs and downtown. I have experienced Motorola - Samsung problems the entire time it has been happening. I got the EVO 4G LTE and have put up with many faults because I love the HTC interface. I fully intend to remain a Sprint customer and I do very little complaining to people that can't do anything about it on my own behalf. My dedication to Sprint is a sign that I believe they are going down the right path.

Most of my posts have been providing unique or otherwise valuable information. I have provided many corrections to false or incomplete information already posted. Robert himself often likes the posts that I make, which I hope is an indicator of the quality of posts I make. My signal to noise is quickly dropping having to address these superfluous remarks. When work slows down a bit, I hope to contribute more information that no one else has posted or conceived. That said, due to the nature of the information I generate and post, it is usually in the sponsor-only section.

As a network operator, I think running constant speed tests is incredibly foolish! Not only are you wasting your own resources, but you're wasting resources that could be used by other people.

I do think highly of myself and rightfully so! Not many people will put their own time, money and career into educating themselves on and then building out Internet infrastructure to serve the general public. After all, all they'll do is complain! If I didn't think well of myself, my knowledge, my accomplishments, how could I expect to attract and retain customers? Due to where (physically and technically) my work takes me, I feel as though I am above the general populous when it comes to a technical forum mostly comprised of the general public. I *may* be the only one here that has touched installed NV gear.

• Like 3

CommScope's wide-band antenna supports multiple bands, air interfaces

December 19, 2012 | By Tammy Parker

addthis_email.png

Tools

CommScope's Argus UltraBand ultra-wideband antenna system is designed to support nine frequency bands for major air-interface standards, which the company said could reduce the number of antennas in operators' networks and lower their tower leasing costs.

"This technology advancement is about providing a wideband antenna that supports virtually all combinations of the air interface technology--GSM, CDMA, iDen, UMTS, LTE, HSPA, WiMAX and even Wi-Fi--in bands that include virtually every frequency that is being utilized or planned for utilization in the next several years," Philip Sorrells, vice president, strategic marketing-wireless, at CommScope, told FierceBroadbandWireless in an email.

CommScope said its ultra-wideband antennas support "US700, EU Digital Dividend, US Cellular and GSM900 for the lower bands and DCS1800, PCS, AWS, 3G, and WiMax for the higher bands."

webinar.gif

Webinar: Vectoring Demystified

Date: December 18, 11 am ET / 8 am PT

Vectoring has been a hot term over the past few months, but do you really know what it is or how it can positively impact your business? Join ADTRAN experts as they explore the ins and outs of this new ultra broadband technology. Register Now!Sign up for our FREE newsletter for more news like this sent to your inbox!

"At the top of the band, this antenna technology covers up to 2690 MHz. That additional bandwidth allows it to be used in WiMAX applications, as well as LTE and even simple Wi-Fi systems," said Sorrells.

Read more: CommScope's wide-band antenna supports multiple bands, air interfaces - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/commscopes-wide-band-antenna-supports-multiple-bands-air-interfaces/2012-12-19#ixzz2FWKwF4tE

Is this a solution to the Clearwire integration headaches at the basestation level without the need for additional antennas to accommodate the 2.6GHz band?

• Like 2

Guest 503ducati

So what happens to Clearwire's LTE build-out/Network Vendors?

FWIW

http://www.fiercebro...trum/2012-12-17

One likely complication in a Sprint-Clearwire merger is readily apparent: Sprint and Clearwire share only one common network infrastructure vendor--Samsung. Other vendors for Sprint's ongoing Network Vision upgrade include Alcatel-Lucent (NASDAQ: ALU) and Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC), while Clearwire also tapped Huawei to upgrade its network from WiMAX to TD-LTE. A Sprint-Clearwire merger will likely cut Huawei out of the picture, as Sprint CEO Dan Hesse said in October that Sprint would avoid using network equipment made by Huawei to stay in line with U.S. government's concerns about security threats posed by the Chinese company
Edited by 503ducati
  • Like 1

Something tells me that Huawei will be dropped like a hot potato:).

Its entirely possible so long as Huawei isn't a major player in Clearwire's original LTE upgrade plans.

Its entirely possible so long as Huawei isn't a major player in Clearwire's original LTE upgrade plans.

They are not, but even if they were, they would be dropped, since Sprint sells to the federal government and the federal government is very leery of Huawei.

• Like 1