Sprint makes official offer to acquire Clearwire

marioc21

Some people around here thing that Sprint won't bid on PCS-H. I think that they will, and will also try and secure additional A-F spectrum. They recognize that PCS is their bread and butter band, a great compromise between cellular and >2.5 GHz spectrum.

I just don't see Clearwire's spectrum as valuable as some other people seem to think. Unless they plan to do something else with it in addition to mobile. I just did not see the need for Sprint to spend close to $8B.

Some people around here thing that Sprint won't bid on PCS-H. I think that they will, and will also try and secure additional A-F spectrum.

I am not aware of anyone who has said that Sprint *will not* bid on PCS/AWS-4 H block spectrum. But many here greatly overstate Sprint's *need* for the H block. Sprint probably will bid on some/all H block licenses because no other carrier can put that spectrum to use more quickly and economically than Sprint can.

AJ

• Like 3

I am not aware of anyone who has said that Sprint *will not* bid on PCS/AWS-4 H block spectrum. But many here greatly overstate Sprint's *need* for the H block. Sprint probably will bid on some/all H block licenses because no other carrier can put that spectrum to use more quickly and economically than Sprint can.

AJ

It will probably cost close to a billion for nationwide spectrum, according to some of the estimates I have seen.

It will probably cost close to a billion for nationwide spectrum, according to some of the estimates I have seen.

for a 10Mhz slot? a billion? <insert random deity> Damn!!!

I was thinking $500mil - $750mil tops

This from Tim Farrar's blog of 12/14/2012:

Some have asked me what is Sprint and Softbank’s alternative to buying Clearwire. My view is that Sprint will save its money for buying PCS spectrum, where its need is far more urgent. In particular, Sprint is going to have to pay $1B+ to buy the 10MHz H block in the auction next year, and if DISH is left with no alternative other than to sell out to AT&T, Sprint would expect to pick up another 10-20MHz of PCS spectrum that AT&T would need to sell in order to get a DISH deal approved by the FCC.

http://blog.tmfassociates.com/

It would suck if someone volunteered to host a pico cell from their house and since they were under the cell, they saw so benefit of the cell... much like if you are standing at the base of a cell tower the signal overshoots you.

I would think that Sprint would tie you directly into the backhaul. Might make sense to give you a free airave also.

The tower near which I spend most of my day serves the very end (literally) of I-70 and a mall, as well as my workplace. Would it be plausible for me to get TD-LTE there?

That same tower also serves my house, but I offload, so that doesn't matter.

which end? Frederick, md?

I don't get the whole "Sprint must have 10MHz LTE channels or the sky is falling" mentality. I think deploying several 5MHz carriers for capacity is a better option, all things considered. Customers do not have any use for speeds faster than 10Mbps. Really. And what's going to happen when Clearwire TD-LTE with 60-90Mbps goes live? Even 10MHz channels from Verizon and AT&T will feel slow in comparison.

Or will they? Will anyone notice the difference between 20Mbps, 37Mbps, 50Mbps or 90Mbps? Not on a smartphone. And not for 98% of what they would do on a tethered computer. And people are not going to pay more for faster speeds. If there was a premium for speeds greater than 20Mbps, 90% of customers wouldn't pay the premium. Because they do not have a need for the faster speeds. It's all a pecker size contest. And I'm tiring of it, frankly.

:imo:

Robert

I can most assuredly "feel" the difference between 12 Mb and 50Mb. I had that transition here at the house with my wifi. My cableco bumped me from 16 to 50 without telling me. One day i was moving along nicely like it normally does at 16..then blam! I watched a 50 meg download go in less than half the time on my phone...that's what tipped me off as i had not fired up my computer yet. Once i investigated i found i had a new 50 meg promo on my account that dropped my rate for the next 6 months..

Actually, any of those figures could be a relative bargain.

Circa 2004, VZW made a filing with the FCC, preemptively offering $5 billion for what would become the PCS G block 10 MHz nationwide collection of licenses. VZW wanted the block to be auctioned, not allocated to Nextel as compensatory spectrum.

AJ

I can most assuredly "feel" the difference between 12 MB and 50Mb.

Yep, the former is 46 Mb (or 5.75 MB) greater than the latter.

AJ

• Like 1

It depends on the buffering. If you're streaming radio or video, you might have dropoffs.

Clearwire hosted a tech conference back in June or July - said that the handoff between TD-LTE and FD-LTE was in the milliseconds and was "seemless". I've referenced it a few times.

which end? Frederick, md?

No, I believe you're thinking of I-270. I-70 ends on Security Blvd. Right near Security Square Mall and the Catonsville community.

EDIT: And someone already answered your question. Disregard this.

No, I believe you're thinking of I-270. I-70 ends on Security Blvd. Right near Security Square Mall...

Geez, that is a lot of security. "Arch your back...for more security."

;)

AJ

Probably gets deployed with NV 2.0. I believe clearwires vendors are the same as Sprints.

I think I remember hearing that Huawai is one of Clearwire's LTE vendors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

I think I remember hearing that Huawai is one of Clearwire's LTE vendors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

I do too but I recall them also saying it's a tiny percentage because of the outrage about possible Chinese espionage against our telecom infrastructure. But this should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because there's only so much corporations that do major telecom work and most US telecoms use the same vendors...

I'd say it'll be managed under New Sprints contractors. Unification of resources and plans = the purpose of the buyout.

Sprint has agreed to pay a $120 million break up fee to Clearwire should the acquisition not be completed by October of next year. In return, Clearwire is not allowed to seek a better offer from another buyer.

AJ

• Like 5