Sprint makes official offer to acquire Clearwire

marioc21

I wish sprint would start taking off again, its basically flat lined @5.60 or so the last couple months.

When I saw the CLWR offer early this morning, I told Robert that Sprint in continued acquisition mode will probably depress its stock price somewhat.

AJ

I bought 5000 shares of CLWR at $1.61. My only regret is I didn't buy more at the bottom.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 3

I bought 5000 shares of CLWR at $1.61. My only regret is I didn't buy more at the bottom.

Sounds like somebody might have to pay some capital gains tax soon...

;)

AJ

OK, how does Sprint integrate Clearwire into it's network? I know that they can implement LTE-TDD under the NV project. What do they do with Clearwire's network? Do they dismantle it after couple of years? I hope they don't keep it forever. What about leases?

Sounds like somebody might have to pay some capital gains tax soon...

;)

AJ

It will be reinvested. Let it ride!

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

OK, how does Sprint integrate Clearwire into it's network? I know that they can implement LTE-TDD under the NV project. What do they do with Clearwire's network? Do they dismantle it after couple of years? I hope they don't keep it forever. What about leases?

Remember that in initial Network Vision planning, Sprint designated one panel per sector on most sites for LightSquared L-band 1600 MHz. Since LightSquared was taken out of the picture by its own arrogance (or incompetence), look for Clearwire BRS/EBS 2600 MHz panels to take many of the spots that LightSquared was going to occupy.

AJ

• Like 3

Remember that in initial Network Vision planning, Sprint designated one panel per sector on most sites for LightSquared L-band 1600 MHz. Since LightSquared was taken out of the picture by its own arrogance (or incompetence), look for Clearwire BRS/EBS 2600 MHz panels to take many of the spots that LightSquared was going to occupy.

AJ

Sweet. I am day dreaming of a celluar network as vast and robust as the sound of what New Sprint will become. Amazing.

...and now CLWR is trading well above Sprint's purchase price.

Silly investors. It's not like AT&T or Verizon will swoop in to buy up Clearwire for a price above what Sprint is willing to pay. And Dish will likely stay away since now we're talking about a potentially overvalued company.

• Like 1

Silly investors. It's not like AT&T or Verizon will swoop in to buy up Clearwire for a price above what Sprint is willing to pay. And Dish will likely stay away since now we're talking about a potentially overvalued company.

The deal will not be consummated at the previously stated $2.90/share price. I said early this morning that Sprint would probably have to sweeten the offer to the $3.25/share range, and I will stick to that. For reference, CLWR closed at $3.16/share today, up from $2.75/share yesterday. But Walt Piecyk has said that a buyout of CLWR will take $5/share.

http://www.fiercewir...-21b/2012-12-13

AJ

• Like 3

I wonder how much this is driven by Softbank's desire to build up the TDD-LTE device ecosystem for the 2.6GHz band.

I'm willing to bet it's considerable. The TDD-LTE 2.6ghz band is going to be a huge advantage in terms of economies of scale and eventual global roaming. I think the spectrum is undervalued for its potential in the long term and for small cells.

• Like 1

I'll sell mine for much less than $5/share. ;)

What do you need? About tree fitty?

AJ

• Like 5

Isn't 'investing' just a fancy term for legalised gambling?

And if you win you only pay 15% tax on the winnings!

Gloat, meet regret...

I got in at $.93 so it's all good at this point.
Sold my Clearwire a while back. Regret is burying me...

;)

AJ

• Like 1

This news has me even more excited for Network Vision part deux. 20MHz TD-lte on every tower would be amazing. It would be awesome for sprint to go from slowest speeds to dusting ATT/Verizon in speeds. I bet that would whip the smug look off Randall Stephenson's face.

• Like 1

This news has me even more excited for Network Vision part deux. 20MHz TD-lte on every tower would be amazing.

Do not get too carried away. Clearwire buyout or not, TD-LTE 2600 is not going to end up on every site. It just is not necessary and just would not make sense.

AJ

• Like 4

I think TD-LTE 2600 will not be deployed on all sites. I expect Sprint to continue with just hotspot deployments. Maybe on every site in Primary markets.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Do not get too carried away. Clearwire buyout or not, TD-LTE 2600 is not going to end up on every site. It just is not necessary and just would not make sense.

AJ

The tower near which I spend most of my day serves the very end (literally) of I-70 and a mall, as well as my workplace. Would it be plausible for me to get TD-LTE there?

That same tower also serves my house, but I offload, so that doesn't matter.

The tower near which I spend most of my day serves the very end (literally) of I-70 and a mall, as well as my workplace. Would it be plausible for me to get TD-LTE there?

Maybe, though I cannot say with any certainty. What I can say is that it does not make sense to deploy TD-LTE 2600 in cells where nearly all users are highly transient (e.g. highway coverage). Users would enter and exit TD-LTE 2600 coverage zones too quickly for the users or the network to benefit.

AJ

Clear wire is beyond irritating right now. Softbank said they wont let sprint pay over $2.97/share. They're talking about they want $5-$8/share. I wish sprint would just hang them out to dry and use that majority vote to block anything they wanna do! I hope sprint is able to work something out with dish one day

It's just contract negotiations. Both sides are fighting for their interests. I believe that NY times article showed the valid points of why Sprint has the stronger argument for a lower price.

I don't see Sprint visiting every site again, except if they have to do a visit to turn on LTE-800 as I've heard chatted about around here they will have to. I think some of these sites wont see another upgrade after network vision for a very long time. And frankly they probably wont need it.