Network Vision/LTE - Myrtle Beach market (Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Florence, Jacksonville NC, New Bern)

thewezgrays

Still many zones that are gmo'd and sitting on 3g, 26 is quite active but still needs some help.

When you travel to the beach area this year let me know and I will get get you the lowdown on your location and what coverage to expect. 26 is here but still needs a lot of adjustment, and more conversion of 3g to a more complete build. The reach alone would provide extra capacity, but you will see it when at the beach.

Band 25 is all over but is subject to 'spottiness' I guess would be the word. It is obviously still carrying most of the load, naturally it shows.

Be careful with hotel WiFi, some are very lax and leave you open or exposed. With this many hotels expect a trickster posing as a hotspot now and then. When at the hotel check to make sure their security aligns with your needs and get the protocol.

Down to it you will maintain a signal if you really need one. 3g has been improved vastly yet on the flip side we have one high capacity site, and it just has more CDMA carriers. The network is still leaps and bounds ahead of two years ago but this market demands a metric poopton of carriage.

Hope this helps on travels and everyone be safe and happy Spring season.

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone in Myrtle Beach can give me insight on coverage at Myrtlewood Villas? We have stayed there in the past but always had awful coverage, teetering between 1 bar of 1x and 2 bars extended 1x, completely unusable even for calls (pre LTE days).  Now that Myrtle Beach has pretty good LTE coverage I was wondering if 800 has remedied that area in particular. 

• 3 weeks later...

2 COWs are now up in the city. The expansion is coming to the beach, some of it is quietly being set up. Ubiquitous signal may actually be realized by this winter along the beach and the roads in. 501, 544, and other areas have capable backhaul and most likely "tuned". The NV network has added lots of range and obviously capacity. We have a couple sites with extra CDMA carriers such as by the malls. The network does remain fairly slim for the topography, changing several iDen sites could fix this of course.

Our 2 protection sites are still running only hauwei http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4928-how-to-spot-clearwire-tdd-lte-wimax-antennas-rrus-huawei/ gear in WiMAX only. So that is taking up a big splash of the 2.5 waves here, even though my digging shows us having a very deep spectrum depth in 2.5 here, and those two sites don't really cover much. So look towards the end of the season winter travelers for the new work, and enjoy the capacity adds they are putting up now :popcorn:   

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what tower is going up at rte 9&57 behind bojangles? This just went up in the past couple of days and the panels are going on it today. I sure hope it's Sprint, this site would solve 95%of my issues. From what I can tell all of the other companies have great service here so I may have some hope. 

Does anyone know what tower is going up at rte 9&57 behind bojangles? This just went up in the past couple of days and the panels are going on it today. I sure hope it's Sprint, this site would solve 95%of my issues. From what I can tell all of the other companies have great service here so I may have some hope. 

This is possibly the one.http://www.antennasearch.com/sitestart.asp?sourcepagename=antennachecktowerreview&getpagename=pgtowerdetail_fcc&cmdrequest=getpage&ipos=1&registration_number=1292357

If it's HTC than it's ATT. ATT works great here, my wife has them and she has full bars most of the time in the house which is close to this tower. I wouldn't expect it to be ATT unless it's because of capacity.

This is possibly the one.http://www.antennasearch.com/sitestart.asp?sourcepagename=antennachecktowerreview&getpagename=pgtowerdetail_fcc&cmdrequest=getpage&ipos=1&registration_number=1292357

If it's HTC than it's ATT. ATT works great here, my wife has them and she has full bars most of the time in the house which is close to this tower. I wouldn't expect it to be ATT unless it's because of capacity.

Do you have any pictures of the tower?

It could be Verizon too?  I have horrible coverage on Verizon right around that area...  Sprint there is really bad too, of course as you know.

I'm guessing that is a really tall site.

So according to the links its an htc tower, I assume they are the ones up there if it sits alone.

I see many along 22 off north that are a dood deuce at least in height. There is a surprisingly decent amount of towers in our rural areas. Just that they need to be fortified/utilized. Looks like we are starting to see it right here. Great job finding a new build!

Man, imagine the difference in coverage, capacity even with just a regular dual band set up. Or even one of the lower cost 4 carrier triband antennas.

That would be sweet.

I'm guessing that is a really tall site.

So according to the links its an htc tower, I assume they are the ones up there if it sits alone.

I see many along 22 off north that are a dood deuce at least in height. There is a surprisingly decent amount of towers in our rural areas. Just that they need to be fortified/utilized. Looks like we are histarting to see it right here. Great job finding a new build!

Man, imagine the difference in coverage, capacity even with just a regular dual band set up. Or even one of the lower cost 4 carrier triband antennas.

That would be sweet.

I'm guessing it's ATT because HTC owns it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I did a little search because the little building at the new site looked similar to the one on chase Ln which is also owned by HTC, this tower has 3 racks. I know Sprint, ATT, and another unknown rack is on this tower. So lets hope Sprint is renting a spot on this new tower. It gives me hope knowing Sprint is on other HTC towers. 

• Like 1

So I am in Myrtle Beach right now and my speeds here are horrid. I live in Central Illinois and always ride on Spark which I get about 50 Mbs down. Sprint needs to upgrade to spark asap.

So I am in Myrtle Beach right now and my speeds here are horrid. I live in Central Illinois and always ride on Spark which I get about 50 Mbs down. Sprint needs to upgrade to spark asap.

the speeds are terrible everywhere in myrtle. tmobile is a similar story. in my hotel room i had a signal around -85dbm on band 25 and the speed was under 1mbps. on my tmobile tablet i had similar signal and the speed was 2mbps on band 4 (i think band 4). its probably just a capacity issue. I had the best signal experience (dbm not speed) in myrtle than any other market ive been in so if sprint can get spark out real soon than they will be extremely competitive in myrtle

• 1 month later...

Saw some tower work going on here in New Bern and heard rumor it was sprint updating EQ. Anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best bet is to get pics. The best camera is the one you have on you at the time :) I have seen tuning and the addition of COW's but no GMO conversions or 2.5 work yet.

• 2 months later...

There is a new site that went up in Darlington, SC just off of US-52 Business where it comes into US-52.  The panels went up a few months ago, and it was just turned on within the past few weeks.  Glad to see it, and hopefully more are to come!

• Like 3

There is a new site that went up in Darlington, SC just off of US-52 Business where it comes into US-52.  The panels went up a few months ago, and it was just turned on within the past few weeks.  Glad to see it, and hopefully more are to come!

Are you in this area often?

Are you in this area often?

Yep, I work near there.  There was a new rack going up on a tower in McBee, SC, which is on my way home.  It's about the area where Sprint drops off, and you go to roaming.  I stopped and asked the crew who was adding a site to that tower, and he said it was for T-Mobile!  I was certainly surprised about that.  If T-Mobile is adding sites along that route, I don't see it being long that Sprint would start, given that there are no roaming partners except Verizon out there.  SC-151 is a main route between Charlotte and Myrtle Beach, and I've calculated that they'd only need about 4-5 sites to have uninterrupted coverage.  One can hope!

• Like 1

Yep, I work near there. There was a new rack going up on a tower in McBee, SC, which is on my way home. It's about the area where Sprint drops off, and you go to roaming. I stopped and asked the crew who was adding a site to that tower, and he said it was for T-Mobile! I was certainly surprised about that. If T-Mobile is adding sites along that route, I don't see it being long that Sprint would start, given that there are no roaming partners except Verizon out there. SC-151 is a main route between Charlotte and Myrtle Beach, and I've calculated that they'd only need about 4-5 sites to have uninterrupted coverage. One can hope!

Wow that is great news, new Sprint and Tmo sites. In differing locations at that! Great work finding these locations and thank you for the heads up on expansion. We are waiting for it as well along the route to the beach here.

Looks like ground is finally being broken on what many would say is an expansion at least half a decade overdue. It has been awfully slow here for any upgrades, and from the maps your area of our market is even less dense, which I didn't think possible.

Of course I have to ask, if you have any pics or logs I'm dying to get the west end of our market filled in for our première map and my ever changing spreadsheet idea. If not no worries. Please do keep us updated on progress otherwise, I have all the sites I haven't made it to(west of Aynor) set up on my Google maps to visit but I have a lot working against a weekend of driving to towers two towns over.

This made my week, sorry for the book length response, I am just super excited to hear this news.