Network Vision/LTE - Myrtle Beach market (Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Florence, Jacksonville NC, New Bern)

thewezgrays

We don't accept donations of just $1 or $2 anymore.  But we don't advertise a minimum, because then people would likely just donate the minimum thinking that's the amount we need.  We need on average $20 per new Sponsor.  Some can't afford that, so we accept less.  Whatever people can afford.  But if they can only afford a dollar, I'd prefer they message me an explanation of their circumstances and I will try to arrange a gift from a member.

Thanks!  :tu:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Whew, had to dig to find this thread, any new folks still floating around?

We need help getting the other markets outside or around Myrtle for our map, or someone could make one of thier own :) Florence, NC on up, to boonies between.

Like Robert said up top there, if someone needs a gift I'm always down to chip in and get you sponsored. It has been an exciting time since I first decided to get into checking out the 4g rollout and have been fascinated with the multitude of information about communication technology.

This board is a great learning tool.

• Like 1

Still here in the New Bern area! Did some mapping towards Kinston. Got some good speeds

Good deal, how is the day to day stuff? Are you able to watch youtube or stream music better now? In our area, the towers are sparse, spacing is weird to say the least. 1900 MHz is fast enough still, 800MHz is much better in the few sites that have it here. Sprint seems to be powering up the radios now to standard levels. I am getting much better speeds on it than before, and some places 1900 has definitely been tuned to perform better.

Need MOAR spotters! Florence, Cherry Grove and North, anyone in the less traveled parts keep an eye out.

Don't forget to troll your friends w Sprint on social media about S4GRU, and what we do here. I have a sexy map in premiere, if we can get more folks in on it I will make a new layer, bigger area and w sponsor and premiere.

The offer is still good if someone needs a donation to help out, I'm down. Admin always appreciated that, I get more help to get the map up and updated, and you get access to all the good official maps Robert provides, all the shared knowledge of mobile telemaphonetry! I can chip in a few bucks towards getting someone closer to premiere if you can get me some good picks and numbers in the areas listed above.

I know money is tight here off season so I would rather pay it forward now, so we have a good plan coming into the next rollout (which premiere will know soon™ enough), and hopefully maybe get someone as interested in this stuff as myself and the 1-2 other users in my area.

Getting into mobile tech first as an interested query that led me here, to enthusiast, to now student (Hey it's ITT but ya gotta learn somewhere and somehow).

All this interest and knowledge literally helped made serious changes in how I spend my days, even though I am a horrible student, it has made quite a difference.

How could you not wanna pass that around?

Don't Bogart it dude, as they say so . . .

Thanks to everyone who contributes, and if you need that chip in send me a msg, and I'll send admin a msg, and we'll get ya set up.

Do it before my new kittens eat me out of house and home!

http://imgur.com/cpazmwk.png

• Like 1

:poke:Don't be shy new members!  :dead: Though I feel I may be talking at myself here somedays :haha: It's ok, I like my jokes, and I make good company.

Super serial tho, lets get this together before 2.0 kicks in folks! Still need some members! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am new to this thread and am currently looking to switch my family over to Sprint. I am in Wilmington, NC 28405 and trying to figure out if Sprint has deployed 800 mhz in my area yet? I need solid indoor performance since I go to UNCW and the buildings are difficult to penetrate. Any ideas on where sprint is on the upgrades in Wilmington? Thanks and I hope to hear from you guys!

Hey guys, I am new to this thread and am currently looking to switch my family over to Sprint. I am in Wilmington, NC 28405 and trying to figure out if Sprint has deployed 800 mhz in my area yet? I need solid indoor performance since I go to UNCW and the buildings are difficult to penetrate. Any ideas on where sprint is on the upgrades in Wilmington? Thanks and I hope to hear from you guys!

Sprint has deployed 800 mhz in that zip. 

There is a Sprint site on campus so even that one is not broadcasting 800 mhz you should still be able to get a decent connection just due to proximity to the LTE 1900 cell. 

No provider can guarantee coverage inside buildings especially those used by Universities which tend to be thick concrete or brick constructions that are not conducive to cellular service. School wifi offloading (if possible) may be your best option indoors. 

I understand, I was just curious if Sprint has started the 800 mhz upgrades. This should be able to penetrate the buildings since my Tmobile phones get lte inside the buildings while I am waiting for class or at the library doing my work. I'm going to head to the sprint store and check out a few phones I think and see what kind of speeds/connection quality they are getting there.

• Like 1

I understand, I was just curious if Sprint has started the 800 mhz upgrades. This should be able to penetrate the buildings since my Tmobile phones get lte inside the buildings while I am waiting for class or at the library doing my work. I'm going to head to the sprint store and check out a few phones I think and see what kind of speeds/connection quality they are getting there.

You can also do the 14 day trial to get first hand experience. Even slight changes in location can end up with very different results.

• 1 month later...

Lots of nice band 26 coverage online now. I see a need for 41 in quite a few(and few NEW) places of course but 26 has been a nice addition to 25.

We still have a dead zone along the Farrow parkway, at the airport, and worse yet the market common. The site that services there has still seen no 4g conversion. 90, 701, CFBlvd, 22, and 31 have ginourmous areas of -. That does not help when you are lost tourist dersh, spilling your ranch soaked chicken wings and BBQ all over your rental car, and you cut me off and hit my whip with your empty Wendy's bag out the window. All cuz you can't get a text out to complain about your no GPS and how you are scared of the bikers and can't believe they ruined your memorial day vacation.

Rural work is lacking still. Spacing is rough throughout the market for coverage, and not to well with all the pine forests that stay full year round.

Bringing up 41 will be difficult with the current arrangements for continuous coverage, as 25 does disappear a good bit.

Having said all that, man 26 is cruising along and it is great to fall back on, and use when I need something it is zippy. Here is to Son and Co. Getting 41 up and working as smoothly and quickly as they are with 26 so far. Now if we could just get some of this "tuning" on the 2 bands we have, Profit.

Sprint is a big market here with value travelers. The area just keeps getting bigger, busier, and more traveled being an area for growth that so many families drive too; Even when gas is three bucks it was two fiddy here. Folks love to drive here, they use data a lot too! (Gotta send all those pics and crazy vidyas!) as noted in the last 6 ctushing failures then one decent last few years.

They finally are making good ground and a great turnaround. Now hurry please Sprint and get on 2.0 so I can track it plzkthx.

Tldr; still significant holes on key tourism hot spots, transit hubs, schools, highways. But getting better, and 26 is low power but online at many sites. Need a nice 5-10% densification by next year and 41 would have a chance to get off right. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The south east coast of North Carolina is a bad trouble spot for sprint coverage. Specifically holden beach is absolutely horrible. This area, all though not as popular as myrtle Beach, can be very busy at times and if I'm not roaming I can't hardly get a text to go though much less place a call. Just wondering if anyone here might have knowledge of expansion in this area. Thanks in advance.

Why was my post moved? Is holden beach part of the myrtle Beach market? Holden is 45 minutes north and in a different state. Just asking I don't really care as long as I'm in the right place.

Yes it is. Markets compose of hundreds of sites spreading across numerous areas. 

To  answer your question, the area in the query does in fact have a Sprint site located on it that does not have LTE live. 

Thanks, even if the site had been upgraded to lte it wouldn't cover the island. I roam 90% of the time I'm there. I was hoping for some sort of expansion, but it's probably not a high priority for sprint.

If you have a Note 2 it means you cannot take the 1x800 or LTE 800 signals coming from the sites around you which are significantly better coverage bands than the PCS 1900 that you're getting now. 

Might be time to try a triband phone. If you try a triband device and you still roam the majority of the time then most likely it's time for you to find a carrier that gives you native coverage in that area. 

That's funny my wife has an lg g2 that gets worse signal. She can pick up 800mhz lte where we are from and the signal is worse than my note 2's 1900mhz lte. I read in another post that the 800 lte wouldn't reach any further than 3g on 1900mhz. which begs the question other than a little extra capacity what's the point of 800mhz, but that's off topic

That's funny my wife has an lg g2 that gets worse signal. She can pick up 800mhz lte where we are from and the signal is worse than my note 2's 1900mhz lte. I read in another post that the 800 lte wouldn't reach any further than 3g on 1900mhz. which begs the question other than a little extra capacity what's the point of 800mhz, but that's off topic

The deal with signals is that the 4G airlink moves more data and generally is more susceptible to interference than 3G which is weaker than 2G.  

800 mhz when fully setup can almost reach 3G on 1900. 800 for CDMA 1x can reach farther than everything else and LTE 800 wil be about 10-15 dBm RSRP better than LTE 1900 which is pretty significant but it sounds like your area is not optimized. 

If it's still bad for you and your wife even with the triband G2 then it maybe time for you to look into an alternative carrier that best suites your need.