Network Vision/LTE - Myrtle Beach market (Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Florence, Jacksonville NC, New Bern)

thewezgrays

I am having trouble locating the tower on 76th Ave N. I am guessing it is an antenna on top of one of the hotels beachside, While in the area I have gotten up to 2 mbps down a couple of times, and this was last fall, I imagine this was before work started, though, and I most likely am connected to the tower at 55 north, which I believe is also on top of one of the hotels(Ocean Forest Plaza maybe), as I live just a bit south of there. I am really excited about these as well! One thing I have noticed is that tower *, seems to have dropped off of the sprint version of the tower maps, I am pretty sure it is on top of the water tower @38th north and Little river neck, as it is ringed in what are obviously cell panels, but I never seem to get better connectivity as I approach this one, not really sure what that is about, just curious I suppose. Thanks again for all the great work you guys have been doing keeping us updated as well. This is great stuff and if I have any better fortune locating these towers I will keep trying to get any new info and share as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Site #CR04AW301 near New Bern, NC went live today with LTE. This is the first Myrtle Beach market site to go live with LTE. Also, it is a Ground Mount site. So, this is exciting on two fronts. We probably will see some more LTE going live around completed Myrtle Beach market sites soon. :tu:

If we have any members in the New Bern area, I would love some photos of this site. The tower and the equipment yard. It is located on the other side of the river off US 17, just north of Bridgeton.

Robert

• Like 1

I am having trouble locating the tower on 76th Ave N. I am guessing it is an antenna on top of one of the hotels beachside, While in the area I have gotten up to 2 mbps down a couple of times, and this was last fall, I imagine this was before work started, though, and I most likely am connected to the tower at 55 north, which I believe is also on top of one of the hotels(Ocean Forest Plaza maybe), as I live just a bit south of there. I am really excited about these as well! One thing I have noticed is that tower *, seems to have dropped off of the sprint version of the tower maps, I am pretty sure it is on top of the water tower @38th north and Little river neck, as it is ringed in what are obviously cell panels, but I never seem to get better connectivity as I approach this one, not really sure what that is about, just curious I suppose. Thanks again for all the great work you guys have been doing keeping us updated as well. This is great stuff and if I have any better fortune locating these towers I will keep trying to get any new info and share as well.

Scoped out this tower the other day. I believe it is located on top of the Horizon hotel downtown. No roof access unless you work for the hotel

It looks like Site #CR04AW301 near New Bern, NC went live today with LTE. This is the first Myrtle Beach market site to go live with LTE. Also, it is a Ground Mount site. So, this is exciting on two fronts. We probably will see some more LTE going live around completed Myrtle Beach market sites soon. :tu:

If we have any members in the New Bern area, I would love some photos of this site. The tower and the equipment yard. It is located on the other side of the river off US 17, just north of Bridgeton.

Robert

Awesome news! Hopefully someone closer can get some pics and tests. I'm about 3:15 away unfortunately! It would be closer for me to go to Charlotte! I hope this means that LTE will be rolled to other towers that are actually in Myrtle Beach in the near future! Maybe some of the 3G NV sites that have been getting some love here lately!

• Like 2

Robert

I see on Sensorly some LTE plotted out just south of New Bern! That means we are a go for some LTE in the Myrtle Beach market. Maybe I will be plotting some sensorly out and about soon? I am within 10 miles of three of the new NV 3G towers and will continue to keep a close eye out.

One question -- as I am in the middle of three towers -- and have weak signal I am waiting for 800mhz... I get the impression since these towers are updating fast/first -- they are likely ground mount -- and from what I read on here, the ground mount sites will be upgraded to 800mhz at the end of NV seperately?

EDIT: According to sensorly it looks like the tower just south of New Bern AND a tower to the north of New Bern are both reporting LTE.

I stopped by a Sprint "tower" today in Hartsville, SC to take a look. Took a few pictures of the equipment there. Sprint is the only one on this water tower:

8436075725_897136e7bb.jpg

Sprint Cell Panels on Water Tower by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

Equipment at base of tower:

8436081225_17b84e9b2e.jpg

Sprint Cell Equipment by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

Lock at the gate (other 2 locks are for the City of Hartsville, as Sprint is the only one here):

8436080599_edcfb0d3f6.jpg

Lock to Water Tower Site by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

Doesn't seem like this upgrade should be too hard, given that they have a platform with railing to hold on to installing new panels and RRU's!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I go to Hartsville a lot. Any news on when they may start 4G work there?

They are currently working on GMO sites in the area. However, AlcaLu brings up the 3G side first. It will be a few months probably before they start to bring up the LTE side on their NV upgrades in the area.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I go to Hartsville a lot. Any news on when they may start 4G work there?

I stopped by an "In Progress" site in Hartsville, SC today. I didn't find anything being done quite yet, however the gate to the tower was open! Nobody was there, but it was wide open!

Also checked an "In Progess" site in Darlington, SC and Florence, SC, but nada. Probably a another month or so before those even begin.

I stopped by an "In Progress" site in Hartsville, SC today. I didn't find anything being done quite yet, however the gate to the tower was open! Nobody was there, but it was wide open!

Also checked an "In Progess" site in Darlington, SC and Florence, SC, but nada. Probably a another month or so before those even begin.

These are GMO sites. Do you know what the AlcaLu base station and Ground Mount RRU's look like? You can check out an article over on the wall.

These are GMO sites. Do you know what the AlcaLu base station and Ground Mount RRU's look like? You can check out an article over on the wall.

I think the Hartsville, SC site may be done, 3G wise. I stopped by there again today, and there were a few guys working there. I asked who they were doing work for, and they said Verizon. One of the guys also said that he was doing stuff for Sprint in North Carolina last month. However, looking at the Sprint equipment behind them, it looks brand new. Didn't get a chance to see if there were GMR's, but I will check once they are finished and I can get a closer look. Speeds are in the 1.5-2.0 range down, and about .90 up.

• 1 month later...

Here are two sites I stopped by today, the first one being Darlington, SC. Within the last week or so, Sprint has installed the new panels and RRU's on the second rack!

8613834869_bfdb445112.jpg

Sprint Tower in Darlington, SC by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

This site is in Florence, SC. Still has the legacy panels, but seen below, looks like new RRU's:

8613835387_626128bfc2.jpg

Sprint RRU's by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

• Like 3

The tower pictured above in Darlington...I made a second visit to the site last Friday, and gave a closer look at the base station cabinets and noticed that the wires from the new panels mounted on the tower are capped off. They ran all wires from the panels down the tower to the cabinets in the conduit, but didn't hook it up yet to the cabinet. Hopefully soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

how big are they deploying the lte? i used to live in myrtle beach but just moved to Pawleys Island about 10 miles south. I know they just did some tower fixes after the messed up and there was an outage here for a good week and half but data speeds are now 2Mb+. and thats off a virgin mobile phone i use for a hotspot. If anyone know it would help me out because im not sure if i should stay with Verizon or not im on verizon prepaid ( PagePlus) so 3g only and looking for LTE phones now.

Edited by emburybrett

• 2 weeks later...

The Bojangles Southern 500 is going to be held at the Darlington Raceway in Darlington, SC a week from today. (May 10th-12th). The tower near the raceway and another around Darlington has the new panels and RUU's up, but not broadcasting LTE as of today (May 3rd). I wonder if they will get them completed, up and running by the time the race is starting. They do have a COW already placed outside the raceway ready to be fired up next week.

• Like 1

The Bojangles Southern 500 is going to be held at the Darlington Raceway in Darlington, SC a week from today. (May 10th-12th). The tower near the raceway and another around Darlington has the new panels and RUU's up, but not broadcasting LTE as of today (May 3rd). I wonder if they will get them completed, up and running by the time the race is starting. They do have a COW already placed outside the raceway ready to be fired up next week.

I usually go every year but this year I'm too busy. It would be cool if they did get that tower up and running LTE by then! I mean it is the Sprint Cup! Sprint ads everywhere! It would make sense from a business stand point to have it ready if they have the equipment in place. Keep us posted if you go.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, during the race, no LTE  <_<

However, today I stopped by a tower in Hartsville, SC that was offline (one to no bars about 2/10 of a mile from the tower).  Saw some men up working on one of the racks.  Stopped by the tower and they confirmed that it was for Sprint.  This tower has shown 3G complete for a few months now, but they just installed the new panels and RRU's this past week.  The guy said that the tower would be back online in 2-4 hours, and said that they were going to fire up LTE.  Hope he is right!  I'll find out on Monday when I go to work.

• Like 1

Well, during the race, no LTE  <_<

However, today I stopped by a tower in Hartsville, SC that was offline (one to no bars about 2/10 of a mile from the tower).  Saw some men up working on one of the racks.  Stopped by the tower and they confirmed that it was for Sprint.  This tower has shown 3G complete for a few months now, but they just installed the new panels and RRU's this past week.  The guy said that the tower would be back online in 2-4 hours, and said that they were going to fire up LTE.  Hope he is right!  I'll find out on Monday when I go to work.

Awesome news! Hope that guy was right, and wasn't just saying that. Keep us updated. I know they have started full builds all over the place down here in Myrtle Beach and all down 501. It would be nice if they start lighting up LTE here too! Let us know when that tower goes live

• Like 1

I live in Jacksonville NC and was driving through Beulaville NC on NC-24 and noticed that my 4G was running strong until I got out of Beulaville  If anyone is familiar with this town they will know it is a small town.

I have two questions for the group.

Does anyone know when this Area, Eastern North Carolina, Northern Section of the Myrtle beach market, will be getting LTE?

Also why would they, Sprint, turn on a tower in such a small town and not hit any other places around it?

Thank you 

Awesome news! Hope that guy was right, and wasn't just saying that. Keep us updated. I know they have started full builds all over the place down here in Myrtle Beach and all down 501. It would be nice if they start lighting up LTE here too! Let us know when that tower goes live

Well, coming to work Monday, the site was back online, but no LTE.  Shouldn't be much longer, as most sites are either in progress or done around Hartsville/Darlington/Florence.  Also, given that the sites in this area connect to the Columbia MSC, I think it's got to do with that.  Maybe the switch isn't quite ready to accept LTE yet.

• Like 1

Well, coming to work Monday, the site was back online, but no LTE.  Shouldn't be much longer, as most sites are either in progress or done around Hartsville/Darlington/Florence.  Also, given that the sites in this area connect to the Columbia MSC, I think it's got to do with that.  Maybe the switch isn't quite ready to accept LTE yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure the site should be live soon with LTE. I'm hoping that all if these full build will start going live in the next couple months. All these sites are on the Columbia switch. I even heard from a Sprint sales manager that it shouldn't be long and that being on the Columbia switch means everything to why we are getting upgraded so early in the NV rollout.

Well, driving to work today, I connected to 800 on a completed tower in Hartsville, SC!  SID 22429, and I held onto the signal for about 10 miles after passing the tower!  After experiencing it personally, I have a great feeling about Sprint for the future!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This area is 100% overloaded, Just here for a bit but this market really needs LTE and lot's of it.

Verizon's 4G LTE is getting 100% crushed under the load and AT&T's H+ in some places won't even ping the network with full signal.

Video:

Speed test out at dinner last night: http://www.speedtest.net/android/501976820.png

Hope Sprint can put 2500 here to take the beating.