Network Vision/LTE - West Texas Market (including Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, San Angelo)

nhanges

Ok, two different Sprint tower pics, hope I did this right!

Like I said.. Even though the pics are poor quality those things are unique.

Look at my how to spot thread and bet you can make the determination with ease.

Rode through San Angelo yesterday and had 4G for a bit, though Verizon LTE went out further from town (got ~50/10 at the end of a microwave daisy-chain at the Eden rest stop). Big Spring of course doesn't have anything yet, and as such data speeds are pretty slow there (T-Mobile has H+ and VZ has LTE though). My trip didn't take me west of Big Spring so San Angelo was the only West Texas market where I saw LTE (the next time I picked it up was a bit west of Fort Worth).

One interesting thing that I noticed, not NV/LTE related, was that Sprint still has an extensive roaming agreement with SID 1892 (West Central Wireless fka Five Star Wireless) for 1x. Data pretty much doesn't work on their network (probably because there's a single 1x carrier with no EvDO...WCW has gone the GSM + HSPA+ route), but voice + SMS are fine. I still had a dead zone or two even with roaming, but the dead zones were more pronounced on my Verizon iPad, which didn't roam onto WCW.

One point against my suspicion that WCW only has one 1x carrier live at any given location is the appearance of 1x in PCS (channel 925 or something...should have taken a screenshot) in Brady. Or maybe it was Eden. Either way, WCW only has band 0 spectrum in Fredericksburg so it was something different.

I couldn't connect to AT&T's network with my data-only-plan Nexus 4 during the trip, but it looked like both they and WCW had consistent service up the corridor San Angelo on GSM + WCDMA (or at least GSM). I would've looked into it further, but my WCW microSIM is probably dead at this point because I only paid for a month of service a few months ago.

In any event, that stretch of road is ideal for a NV SMR 1x deployment. LTE would be nice as well, but it wouldn't take too many sites to get the area covered, as long as you use the right (existing) towers.

Like I said.. Even though the pics are poor quality those things are unique.

Look at my how to spot thread and bet you can make the determination with ease.

Ok so after studying your spot thread and looking at the tower with some binoculars, I can definitely see these RUUs, 2 back to back and one on top! Is this what I'm looking for? Is this the LTE?

Ok so after studying your spot thread and looking at the tower with some binoculars, I can definitely see these RUUs, 2 back to back and one on top! Is this what I'm looking for? Is this the LTE?

Yes there should be at least 3 on each sector of the site. Once fiber is run to the site it will be fired up for LTE.

It's been on and off four me since Friday in Odessa but I have got as high as 22mbps. I'd say a 7mbps average is about right though. Just went live in far north Odessa today as far as I can tell too. My 22mbps test was near Kermit highway and West County Road. I'm hitting 5mbps+ almost out to Gardendale.

• Like 1

Have LTE in downtown Midland and IH-20 and 158 intersection. It extends to about 1 mile south of IH-20. I'm assuming that tower ** is pushing the signal. Speeds are atrocious. I can only get about the same speeds as CDMA, but the signal is all over the place. The best I've gotten is 1.2 mbps down and 47 mbps up, though that was captured right at the last second.

uploadfromtaptalk1376084777376.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1376084790988.jpg

LTE is spreading fast in Amarillo!

Goes west on interstate 40 almost to Wildorado and now goes south on interstate 27 into Canyon. I'll be headed to Canyon this weekend and will try to map more extensively on Sensorly within that town while I'm there :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, hate to "dig" up an old Thread i can confirm that plainview does not have sprint LTE coverage launched here yet. we have had verizon 4G LTE for about a year and some change now, looking forward to sprint launching LTE here.

Hey guys, hate to "dig" up an old Thread i can confirm that plainview does not have sprint LTE coverage launched here yet. we have had verizon 4G LTE for about a year and some change now, looking forward to sprint launching LTE here.

Plainview, TX has two 4G accepted sites the other is complete as well on the 3G side but is waiting on backhaul for 4G.  I don't know how long ago there were done though. 

LTE is spreading fast in Amarillo!

Goes west on interstate 40 almost to Wildorado and now goes south on interstate 27 into Canyon. I'll be headed to Canyon this weekend and will try to map more extensively on Sensorly within that town while I'm there :)

Update: I was able to pick up Sprint LTE all over Canyon. I mapped the major highways and streets on Sensorly :) check it out! It actually went pretty far on my way to Palo Duro Canyon.

• Like 3

Plainview, TX has two 4G accepted sites the other is complete as well on the 3G side but is waiting on backhaul for 4G. I don't know how long ago there were done though.

LTE showing up in Plainview today! :)

• Like 1

Finding anything yet? Started to show up on Sensorly today, and we know that there are two sites signed off with LTE in Plainview. Should provide some pretty good initial coverage.