Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Is there any way to tell in my iPhone 12 Pro's Field Test Mode if I'm on mmWave?

Wow. Field Test Mode looks really different than before.... Is that due to me being "on" T-Mobile with my device or being on iOS 14.2?

No. In NSA mode you can only see LTE anchor information, and SA mmWave is not deployed.

• Like 1
[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
17 hours ago, RAvirani said:

No. In NSA mode you can only see LTE anchor information, and SA mmWave is not deployed.

That's good to know. Thanks. I'm still getting used to this new Field Test Screen interface....

Under "Serving Cell Info" I'm seeing 66 under "freq_band_ind".

Looks like the iOS 14.3 beta has an updated field test mode that at least indicates whether you're on NSA or SA 5G.

I am willing to bet there's no mmWave in DC still.  They'd be shouting it from the rooftops if there were.  The good news is that N41 is blazing fast and they're deploying it at a breakneck pace around here.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

Looks like the iOS 14.3 beta has an updated field test mode that at least indicates whether you're on NSA or SA 5G.

I am willing to bet there's no mmWave in DC still.  They'd be shouting it from the rooftops if there were.  The good news is that N41 is blazing fast and they're deploying it at a breakneck pace around here.

Neat. I'll look forward to checking that out once the 14.3 update is released. (I never run Beta software.)

My peak DL speeds on T-Mobile's 5G seem to be about the same as when I was on Sprint's LTE. However, my 5G speeds are much more consistent and reliable than when I was on Sprint. My UL speeds are up to 10x faster than Sprint's, which is a huge improvement in usability for the device. Everything App related in that respect is much faster. I'm seeing ~75 Mbps upload speeds.

Yeah, there's a lot of runway left for N41. However, it seems it would make sense to put the mmWave gear on the sites when they're being upgraded so the techs don't have to make another climb/trip. There are a number of dense areas in the DMV which could benefit from mmWave: The area around The White House, Nationals Park, The Wharf, National Harbor, etc.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:42 PM, RedSpark said:

Neat. I'll look forward to checking that out once the 14.3 update is released. (I never run Beta software.)

My peak DL speeds on T-Mobile's 5G seem to be about the same as when I was on Sprint's LTE. However, my 5G speeds are much more consistent and reliable than when I was on Sprint. My UL speeds are up to 10x faster than Sprint's, which is a huge improvement in usability for the device. Everything App related in that respect is much faster. I'm seeing ~75 Mbps upload speeds.

Yeah, there's a lot of runway left for N41. However, it seems it would make sense to put the mmWave gear on the sites when they're being upgraded so the techs don't have to make another climb/trip. There are a number of dense areas in the DMV which could benefit from mmWave: The area around The White House, Nationals Park, The Wharf, National Harbor, etc.

They definitely need mmWave on U st lol. But yeah they acquired the spectrum in March. They will most likely deploy it sometime next year. 

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, PhillipJames89 said:

They definitely need mmWave on U st lol. But yeah they acquired the spectrum in March. They will most likely deploy it sometime next year. 

Yup. U Street definitely fills up in the evening! Haven't been over there since COVID began, but people are always fiddling on their phones. 😀

On 11/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, PhillipJames89 said:

Based on this article, it seems like mmWave has actually been deployed in DC as one of the "five cities" listed: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/verizon-s-5g-mmwave-crushing-it-but-for-how-long

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By danlodish345
      Even though Sprint doesn't have the best coverage in my area. I do have lots of memories and nostalgia with the company. I wonder who else here will miss Sprint besides me?
    • By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html

• Long live Wimax, Clearwire, Sprint Spark, Sprint LTE Advance, Sprint LTE Plus, Sprint!
    • Has your site been upgraded? Because B4/B66 performs worse on the new Nokia AAFIA Massive MIMO equipment in Texas. Before the upgrades, T-Mobile physically split sectors for B2/4/66 and coverage+performance was pretty impressive. B4/66 coverage was actually very close to that of B2 (even outperforming it in some instances). Now that my local tower has been upgraded, I still receive B12 and B2 from it. But my B4/66 now comes from a different neighboring tower as my home tower's B4/66 is drowned out. As you can imagine, I no longer get the same peak speeds as before since CA doesn't play nice with bands coming from different towers. Even the newly added B41 has a better reach than B4/66 (getting 80+ mbps downloads on B41+B41, T-Mobile just needs to optimize load balancing as B41 thresholds seem very conservative).
    • I don't have the "hearing me" problem, but I bet it's network related..... I just rarely get calls and texts when people call me or text me. Telemarketers seem to always get through but never the important calls. The New T-mobile sucks just as hard as the Old Sprint. 
    • At one point i was on B66 all the time at our house, but now i almost never see Band 66.  I haven't paid attention to the PLMNs,  i will have to check.  We haven't had the issue in a few days, hopefully they have fixed whatever the issue was.  
    • It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile is integrating Sprint's network assets after the merger and putting itself on real competitive footing with Verizon/AT&T. With the launch of the 5G iPhone, uptake of new 5G devices on T-Mobile's network must be substantial. T-Mobile's midband capacity from Sprint is making a real difference in usability and speed.