Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

• 1 month later...

5G has officially launched in DC: https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-lights-up-true-mobile-5g-in-washington-dc.htm

Part of this 5G launch announcement for Los Angeles, New York City and Phoenix: https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-lights-up-true-mobile-5g-in-los-angeles-new-york-city-phoenix-and-washington-dc.htm

Seems Sprint/Nokia got the bugs worked out!

Sprint's Coverage Map now shows 5G Coverage for DC....

Still a number of areas to cover with 5G in DC.

From the Coverage Map, it actually seems that the 5G Coverage in Montgomery County, MD is greater than it is in DC. Have a look at Bethesda and then go in all directions. Seems solid.

• Like 1

Something looks wrong with the map to me.  If you look at Beacon Hill, for instance, there is 5G to the northeast and southeast of the site, but not immediately surrounding it or west of it.  It almost looks like there's a smaller 4G site overlaid on top of it or something.  The site at Kingstowne looks the same, as do several others I'm spot-checking.

- Trip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Except Sprint's 5G setup is on the celltower, using 64T64R antenna's, replace band 41 antennas with new ones, not utility pole mounted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Except Sprint's 5G setup is on the celltower, using 64T64R antenna's, replace band 41 antennas with new ones, not utility pole mounted.

Very good point!

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

It doesn't apply to sprint, they aren't doing mmwave, sprint is upgrading panels on cell towers for there 5g, but it does apply to AT&T and Verizon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

It doesn't apply to sprint, they aren't doing mmwave, sprint is upgrading panels on cell towers for there 5g, but it does apply to AT&T and Verizon

That’s true. Sprint is in a good position with its 2.5 GHz for 5G. I only wish they had some more low band to complement it.

It would apply to T-Mobile mmwave though right?

2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

That’s true. Sprint is in a good position with its 2.5 GHz for 5G. I only wish they had some more low band to complement it.

Simply yes

• Like 1

People will rally against 5G the carrier really doesn't matter. If Sprint wanted to install a small cell in a spot someone might go against it. Some of the same people might even want all towers gone then complain that their phone doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This week I switched from a Sprint 4G phone to a T-Mobile 5G.

Connectivity is significantly better, specifically when I am deep inside my apartment building or in an elevator down to the underground garage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimBob said:

This week I switched from a Sprint 4G phone to a T-Mobile 5G.

Connectivity is significantly better, specifically when I am deep inside my apartment building or in an elevator down to the underground garage.

Do we have Tmo 5G NR 2.5 yet?

I have the S20 ultra, been on it for a while now. It's on 5G every where I go, and yes I'm getting good battery life on it. Though I should have waited a week and got the V60, oh well. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, PhillipJames89 said:

Does DC have mmWave or LAA?

That's a good question. I'd like to know this as well.

Doesn't seem like there's mmWave on my local site at least. I'm seeing speeds just under 300 Mbps down and ~76 Mbps up. I'd expect to see higher DL speeds if mmWave was deployed on it.

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

That's a good question. I'd like to know this as well.

Doesn't seem like there's mmWave on my local site at least. I'm seeing speeds just under 300 Mbps down and ~76 Mbps up. I'd expect to see higher DL speeds if mmWave was deployed on it.

I think this is their mmWave Footprint . I remember it being small. However I do think T-Mobile and Sprint acquired nationwide licenses earlier this year

22 hours ago, PhillipJames89 said:

I think this is their mmWave Footprint . I remember it being small. However I do think T-Mobile and Sprint acquired nationwide licenses earlier this year

Is there any way to tell in my iPhone 12 Pro's Field Test Mode if I'm on mmWave?

Wow. Field Test Mode looks really different than before.... Is that due to me being "on" T-Mobile with my device or being on iOS 14.2?