Jump to content
dstrait

Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

Recommended Posts

I can attest to the DC area speeds, and sprint asked if I wanted a magic box for which is in my apartment up and running

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like something is happening to my home tower. Trying to get better pictures of it, but I'm just too far for anything but a blur on my iPhone. Over the weekend, we had sporadic LTE service go in and out. Speeds have slowed a bit, but now there are safety cones on the roof of the building where the equipment is.... fingers crossed.

 

Best shot I could get:

vo97f2P.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, grapkoski said:

It seems like something is happening to my home tower. Trying to get better pictures of it, but I'm just too far for anything but a blur on my iPhone. Over the weekend, we had sporadic LTE service go in and out. Speeds have slowed a bit, but now there are safety cones on the roof of the building where the equipment is.... fingers crossed.

 

Best shot I could get:

 

Yay Finding Mimo.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the speeds at Capital One Arena...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I noticed it yesterday but was waiting to confirm today before posting that not only is there now service in the tunnel north of Braddock Road and the tunnel south of King Street, as this press release indicates, but I also see service in the yellow tunnel between Pentagon and the bridge.  The only part of my commute still missing service is the stretch south of L'enfant Plaza down to the bridge.

- Trip

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RedSpark said:

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/washington-dc/2019/1H

Ugh. Network speed coming up short again, but call performance as well? C’mon Sprint... 

I've seen that in other markets that have B41 and 15x15 B25. With all that BW what is Sprint doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tengen31 said:

I've seen that in other markets that have B41 and 15x15 B25. With all that BW what is Sprint doing wrong?

I think it's the lack of lowband. Band 26 speeds just kill them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think it's the lack of lowband. Band 26 speeds just kill them. 

Doesn’t harm T-Mobile as B12 is only 5x5 also and B71 isnt deployed in some of these areas

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

I think it's the lack of lowband. Band 26 speeds just kill them. 

Lack of lowband in DC? I don’t think Sprint got worse necessarily. I think the other carriers could just be outpacing it.

@Trip @grapkoski

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad The Beast said:

They only have 5x5 of band 26 don't they?

I believe so, but isn’t that the case everywhere except for areas where Band 26 is 3x3 instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedSpark said:

I believe so, but isn’t that the case everywhere except for areas where Band 26 is 3x3 instead?

Yeah. 5x5 band 26 isn't enough. It's like the dumpster fire that is T-Mobile band 12 most places. It's also 5x5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Yeah. 5x5 band 26 isn't enough. It's like the dumpster fire that is T-Mobile band 12 most places. It's also 5x5.

I’m really curious what the voice performance drop off was from, because that’s ridiculous. What test device did they use? Was VoLTE enabled on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I’m really curious what the voice performance drop off was from, because that’s ridiculous. What test device did they use? Was VoLTE enabled on it?

From the Methodology page:

We select leading Android-based smartphones for each network during our device selection process. During the device selection process, RootMetrics benchmarks device models to determine the best commercially available phone model from each network in order to capture the best possible user experience for data, call, and text usage on each particular network. Benchmarking models before testing also helps remove limitations that can be caused by specific model/network interactions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the lowband, it's their upload speeds that will always kill them in independent testing like this. The exception is PCMag who weighs upload speeds way less than download speeds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's not the lowband, it's their upload speeds that will always kill them in independent testing like this. The exception is PCMag who weighs upload speeds way less than download speeds.

Ok. That’s true.

But what explains the substantial drop off in Call Performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedSpark said:

Ok. That’s true.

But what explains the substantial drop off in Call Performance?

I honestly have no idea. It's not the norm in my experience. Has the drop in call performance been noticeable for you or do you think it was a fluke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I honestly have no idea. It's not the norm in my experience. Has the drop in call performance been noticeable for you or do you think it was a fluke?

I’m on VoLTE and it’s been fine overall. A couple of call drops and one failed call which said “Call Failure”.

I think Sprint stayed where it was and the other carriers improved respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I’m on VoLTE and it’s been fine overall. A couple of call drops and one failed call which said “Call Failure”.

I think Sprint stayed where it was and the other carriers improved respectively.

Ditto, but there was a period where VoLTE kept having issues in the DC area. Missed calls, etc. I wonder if they happened to be testing during that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, grapkoski said:

Ditto, but there was a period where VoLTE kept having issues in the DC area. Missed calls, etc. I wonder if they happened to be testing during that period.

True. I’m curious what Test devices were used.

Does the S9 support VoLTE at this point? (I know the S8 and S10 do.)

If an S9 was used, it speaks to the state of Sprint’s CDMA Network during testing.

Otherwise if an S10 (or iPhone XS/Max) was used with VoLTE enabled, you’re spot on about VoLTE being launched. Otherwise, it was pulling the same CDMA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
True. I’m curious what Test devices were used.
Does the S9 support VoLTE at this point? (I know the S8 and S10 do.)
If an S9 was used, it speaks to the state of Sprint’s CDMA Network during testing.
Otherwise if an S10 (or iPhone XS/Max) was used with VoLTE enabled, you’re spot on about VoLTE being launched. Otherwise, it was pulling the same CDMA.
Still no VOLTE on the S9 or note 9

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

      Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 
       
      Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

      A close look at a Samsung setup





      Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

      Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

      (source: dkyeager)

      (source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

      High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.


      Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

      Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ




      Close up of standard antenna connectors 

      Samsung Cabinets

       
       
      Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html
       
    • By ActionJacksonWX
      Sprint announced the MVNO Google Fi will use its network for 5G in a press release (that is, once there are actually 5G capable phones compatible with Google Fi someday):
      https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-to-provide-5g-wireless-services-for-google-fi.htm
       
      This is the first I've heard about Fi and 5G so far. Google has pretty much kept mum on the topic, so I'm somewhat encouraged.
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung TDD-LTE gear which are being utilized in Clearwire priority sites. .   Clearwire - Samsung TDD-LTE RRH SLS-BD106Q & Antennas           Samsung TD-LTE RRUs mounted behind BRS/EBS Antenna     Sprint 2500-2600 mhz TD-LTE Setup Note the Antennas are much thicker and fatter than the antennas being utilized by Sprint Network Vision.  
       

       
      Clearwire TD-LTE Base Station / Cabinet
      May be subject to change as TD-LTE sites start being integrated into the Network Vision setups.
       

       

       

       
      Happy Hunting!
        I'll clean the post up this weekend when I have more time.   Courtesy of Sbolen from Missouri market. Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD104Q1
      Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD106Q
    • By danlodish345
      Hi everybody I would figure I would start a Sprint volte launch thread. please keep the let's please keep it on topic.
  • Posts

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...