Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Sprint B41 service has expanded in Tysons Corner (Towers Crescent complex). What a nice way to start 2015!

Ya...I work in the Tysons area also, and I noticed that too...all in all the LTE in Tysons has been really great since about October or November.

Ya...I work in the Tysons area also, and I noticed that too...all in all the LTE in Tysons has been really great since about October or November.

Unlike the roads today. Silver line for the win!

• Like 2

LTE coverage in DC itself needs improvement in the following areas: Downtown, West End, Logan Circle, Penn Quarter, Judiciary Square, The National Mall by the Capitol, Capitol Hill, and Southwest Waterfront.

DC is still not an officially launched market according to Sprint. It's not on the LTE markets list: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/4glte-launchedmarkets.htm

If you look at Sprint's own coverage assessment on its map (http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) using Zip Codes 20037 (West End) and 20005 (Downtown), it's pretty apparent that not a sufficient number of towers have been lit up with LTE for the market to be considered "launched". LTE coverage only shows as "fair" for substantial portions of the city. Hopefully, Marcelo still considers this a priority market for Spark too...

LTE coverage in DC itself needs improvement in the following areas: Downtown, West End, Logan Circle, Penn Quarter, Judiciary Square, The National Mall by the Capitol, Capitol Hill, and Southwest Waterfront.

DC is still not an officially launched market according to Sprint. It's not on the LTE markets list: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/4glte-launchedmarkets.htm

If you look at Sprint's own coverage assessment on its map (http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) using Zip Codes 20037 (West End) and 20005 (Downtown), it's pretty apparent that not a sufficient number of towers have been lit up with LTE for the market to be considered "launched". LTE coverage only shows as "fair" for substantial portions of the city. Hopefully, Marcelo still considers this a priority market for Spark too...

Good news is that he does. I live in 20005 and would be going nuts without legacy Clear towers. Backhaul is extremely hard to come by in DC and installing it can take up to six months per drop. At my previous employer, our network engineers kept trying to jigger up more cable modems while waiting for our fiber drop to be installed. Our building manager just couldn't understand why an office of 400 people couldn't share a 'business grade' cable connection.

Where do you live at?

Are you from the future?

AJ

Good one, that is the zip code.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Washington,+DC+20010/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7c8191148ba15:0xf8f20470d73a7a35?sa=X&ei=OcKtVKPCCMzGsQTx74G4Cg&ved=0CG8Q8gEwCg

On the west side of 16th street.  

On my way home today, there was a spot that always dropped to 3g or sometimes no data.  Today, LTE the entire way, although it was B25.

Edited by fubka

Good one, that is the zip code.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Washington,+DC+20010/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7c8191148ba15:0xf8f20470d73a7a35?sa=X&ei=OcKtVKPCCMzGsQTx74G4Cg&ved=0CG8Q8gEwCg

On the west side of 16th street.  

On my way home today, there was a spot that always dropped to 3g or sometimes no data.  Today, LTE the entire way, although it was B25.

Hmm, so you're in Mt. Pleasant? If you upgrade to Sponsor, you'll see why.  :)

I have been noticing positive changes in the Manassas to Culpeper route 28 stretch recently.  I picked up Band 41 out in the Midland area this week and observed seamless hand offs between all three bands as I traversed down 28.  I actually flipped to band 26 in a spot where my LTE almost always drops back to 3g.  The band 26 signal levels are still on par with band 25, so I am hoping there is more optimization to be done, but it's improving...

When I visit my parents, we take 66 across to 15, then down to 29 until 15 in Culpeper.  The 29 stretch had two more LTE towers on it when I went last weekend than at Thanksgiving, and the only LTE tower in Culpeper County (as best I can tell) had added B26.

- Trip

Just joined the year 2015 and got a Tri-Band phone.  LTE Bands 26 and 41 broadcast in Stafford, VA.  Pulled a Speedtest of 44.62 Down 12.71 Up with 49 ms Latency from the Stafford Marketplace I-95 at Exit 143A.clip_now_20150113_121021.png

• Like 3

Its nice to see that I am getting 2-3 bars of Sprint LTE when I step out of my office that's on Crestwood and Buckeystown pike. Wonder where the towers are, since I sit buy a window and it only connects to 3G service, or what band this might be that they are turning on around the area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...