Sign in to follow this  
markjcc

Clear

Does clear reduce the transmit power of their towers @ night to conserve energy or something

cause speeds are always 12Mb/s Solid from 5AM - 7PM

after 7PM they drop to like 2Mb/s

RSSI:-68, CINR:24

During night

RSSI:-56, CINR:29

During day

modem is always @ the same spot

Edited by markjcc

I would doubt that they do that from a network management standpoint. What I assume is happening is that the site is loading up after 7pm. Once everyone gets home and begins streaming music and movies that shared resource begins to be strained. I don't have any experience with Clear, but that would be my guess. When you run your speed tests are the uploads being affected as well? If not it would lead me to believe the back haul (circuits/ethernet) from the site to the switch is just at capacity.

OK, but how would that cause the drop in signal strength he shows in post #2?

its morning again, Upload speed is unaffected and the signal is back to what it normally is and speed is back also

its morning again, Upload speed is unaffected and the signal is back to what it normally is and speed is back also

That's backhaul constraint. Why your signal degrades, I don't know, but if upload is unaffected, that is backhaul constraint.

That's backhaul constraint. Why your signal degrades, I don't know, but if upload is unaffected, that is backhaul constraint.

could i tell clear something about this and they can fix it?

I remember reading posts on this site that signal strength is affected by capacity.

I know on CDMA I've heard of "cell breathing" which was explained to me that as a site loads with users the are covered by that base station is reduced. Don't ask me why, I've never really researched it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By KnarfOH
      I am presently customer of the old Clearwire for home internet service.  By twist of fate, there are no other high-speed internet providers in my area - NOTHING! - unless you consider satellite services.  Clearwire was reluctant to give me a CLEAR EXPRESS HUB and sign me up originally because my home is literally shown to be in a marginal area of service.  My lot was shown to be covered but not the adjacent lots (not sure how that happens?).  Anyway, they gave me the modem and I experience around 6 Mbps downloads and 1 Mbps uploads (with an outside antenna).  For someone coming off dial-up and satellite (Wildblue) these speeds were terrific!  I am happy!  I understand my service is not as good as many others, but for this area it is fabulous!   With the recent announcements that Clearwire's Wimax service will be phased out by the end of 2015 - I am on pins and needles waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I live in Canal Winchester (suburb of Columbus, OH) and would be devastated If I lost my Clearwire service and we are not part of some Sprint LTE upgrade that will allow us to obtain high-speed internet when Clearwire goes away   Why isn't Sprint more open about their future plans to provide service to areas they acquired from Clearwire, including types of services and time frames other then generalities that I sometimes see published.  The tower I ping off of is located in Columbus (moderate density housing) and I have to believe that Columbus (15th largest city in the USA) would be near the top.  The tower is 3 to 4 miles away.  

• By bandwithhog
      I received an email from Clearwire today that my old $37.50 rate per device (I have two) will increase by $5 on my next billing cycle. Okay, I have been (Ab)using Clear for many years and the $10 or $120 a year a still better compared to other wireless providers.
    • By bandwithhog
      I found this while looking at FreedomPop's site and followed some of the links. It seems like that FP is part of connect2compete.org and they offer services for schools and other non-profits via mobilecitizen.org.

Now I found this on their website:

Mobile Citizen's wireless broadband is powered by WiMAX, a 4G technology from CLEAR. In 2006, CLEAR entered into a 30-year excess capacity agreement with the five EBS licensees which established Mobile Citizen. This agreement allows Mobile Citizen to offer advanced mobile broadband service exclusively to schools and nonprofits, helping to further learning and productivity by providing internet access beyond the classroom or office. Mobile Citizen has been providing its low-cost mobile Internet services since 2009.

----

Now their prices are really great and $120 for unlimited Internet is not bad. But will they transistion to LTE eventually or will Sprint / Clearwire keep some WiMax runnung which covers their EBS licensees?

• By xrayman
      Yesterday I noticed workers up on a tower out in the south part of the KC area. 
      I took some photos that show what must be an upgrade to TD-LTE at the Clear site.
      Bill

• By newgroundsguru
      So now that Sprint purchased all remaining shares of Clearwire what is going to happen? Will they re-purpose the towers into its own LTE network? Or are they going to keep it a separate network and just leave it as is/add more towers?

Now that WiMax will be a type of LTE i hope they just use all these towers on Sprints network and start filling out the roll out!