Sensorly and rooted phones

Craig

I've mapped a few trips with Sensorly in places where they don't have data for Sprint 3G and LTE coverage. I have yet to see any of my data show up in their maps. I sent them an email asking about it, but I'm curious if it might be due to my phone being rooted and they automatically invalidate data from rooted phones due to the possibility of bad data through GPS spoofing. Anyone else with a rooted phone have success with mapping a trip and having the data show up in their maps?

I've mapped a few trips with Sensorly in places where they don't have data for Sprint 3G and LTE coverage. I have yet to see any of my data show up in their maps. I sent them an email asking about it, but I'm curious if it might be due to my phone being rooted and they automatically invalidate data from rooted phones due to the possibility of bad data through GPS spoofing. Anyone else with a rooted phone have success with mapping a trip and having the data show up in their maps?

Not sure what could be the reason but both my phones are rooted and I haven't had any issues using sensorly on either device(evo, gnex). I have mapped lte in my area and it showed up on the their maps within 30 minutes to an hour.

Same here, I'm rooted as well....I did have one section of map not show up the first time I mapped it, but I'm guessing that was more due to data connectivity problems where the data never made it to the Sensorly map database somehow. A later mapping trip through the same area uploaded and appeared finally though.

I have a rooted SGS3, and have no issues with sensorly.. Works just fine. Drove around last night mapping out some of Ft Wayne, Indiana and surrounding areas that aren't currently on the map.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The reply I got back from Sensorly says that some ROMs will override the network provider with the developer ID. So the data they would be getting from my phone would not be reported to them as a Sprint signal, rather as a signal for "Team Sonic", or some other identifier.

BTW Team Sonic FreeGS3 is the only ROM for the SGS3. Hands down best available.

The reply I got back from Sensorly says that some ROMs will override the network provider with the developer ID. So the data they would be getting from my phone would not be reported to them as a Sprint signal, rather as a signal for "Team Sonic", or some other identifier.

BTW Team Sonic FreeGS3 is the only ROM for the SGS3. Hands down best available.

I fixed it by going into the /data partition of the phone, editing eri.XML and changing "Freegs3" to "Sprint". Make sure you reboot. :P

• Like 1

I fixed it by going into the /data partition of the phone, editing eri.XML and changing "Freegs3" to "Sprint". Make sure you reboot. :P

Just did it. I saw four occurrences. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...