Baby Monitor extending

thetio

Currently I have a wife network at my house. I am trying to extend wifi to the barn which is probably 2000ish feet away.

Eventually I want to put in an ipcam and be able to view it on the same network. Plus wifi in the barn would be cool. We use a wisp as we are interested eh country so the Internet comes to me from a microwave tower to a receiver on my roof. This then comes to a little box on my wall which feeds the router. I wish I knew more about the wisp.

The house is brick wood frame and the barn is your typical metal barn. There is a direct line of sight.

I am not sure what else u might need. I have a little knowledge in networking but not too much.

sent from a pebble blue beast on tapa talk.

I know the type internet you are taking about, and its good stuff unless you get just a hair off with the little square antenna. My in-laws have the same type with a power injector inline,

I have dealt with every popular brand of router you can get, because of my home business, so my experience with them is all personal. They aren't all bad, Netgear is becoming cheap-made now but used to be ok, Linksys was junk until Cisco started building the units with their specs instead of them operating as two different companies. Belkin has never honked my horn in routers but they are great in other devices and have outstanding customer service.

Asus has stepped it's game up as well, so has D-link but still they are lacking. Linksys used to have a.c.adapter problems and so did Netgear.

When customers have me come fix their internet, most are addicted to Facebook's stupid little games and they want their point& click back without waiting any amount of time, so I'm usually forced to send them to Wal-Mart if they need a router, but I never buy my own personal electronics from that place. I tried with one customer, 4 years ago, to get them to let me order a router from Newegg for them, and I was told they wanted it now and if I didn't want to do the work that day, they would call best buy and bring them in. Take note that best buy was over an hour from this customer... but I was unemployed at the time and badly needed the money so I quickly saved the job and did the Wal-Mart thing.

Maybe my next router, which I'm considering buying after Christmas, will be the ubi products.

You shouldn't need anything to hook it up, same as any router. Plug it in, let it boot, then go open a web browser and type in the routers ip. Usually 192.168.0.1 ; 192.168.1.1 ; 192.168.11.1 etc. It's normally printed on the sticker on the router along with default credentials. Setup might be different if you're doing repeater, I know what to do to dd-wrt as a repeater since I've been running repeaters for 3 years with that software. Maybe there's a help forum for ubi repeater.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Currently I have a wife network at my house. I am trying to extend wifi to the barn which is probably 2000ish feet away.

Eventually I want to put in an ipcam and be able to view it on the same network. Plus wifi in the barn would be cool. We use a wisp as we are interested eh country so the Internet comes to me from a microwave tower to a receiver on my roof. This then comes to a little box on my wall which feeds the router. I wish I knew more about the wisp.

The house is brick wood frame and the barn is your typical metal barn. There is a direct line of sight.

I am not sure what else u might need. I have a little knowledge in networking but not too much.

sent from a pebble blue beast on tapa talk.

Ok, first things first so nothing interferes with the WISP. Do you know what kind of equipment it is? Model number, etc?

It sounds like you basically want a backhaul from building to the next. Like a very long networking cable. Since you have LOS to the other location it makes it very easy. I would get them up as high as possible though as the cleaner the fresnel zone the better. Since the shot is an easy shot and short shot we don't need anything crazy, I would recommend the Nanostation Loco M5 (2 of them). I recently used a pair to shoot just under a mile and we had to turn things down a bit. The M5 is the 5ghz designation and the M2 is the 2.4ghz. I would recommend the 5ghz since it will be less noise and you won't have to worry about wifi in either building messing with things. On Amazon the Loco M5's can be had for $65 a piece with free shipping. The are designed to be located outside, mount them on a pole, mount them under an eave, or my favorite is mounting them on old directv/dishnetwork pole mount on the eave. It's a decent height for this shot.

Is the elevation about the same at both buildings? If not then we would need to go a bit higher on the lower location.

I would set the IP address of the unit in the main home as something like 192.168.1.2 and the barn one as 192.168.1.3. This may vary with your current setup as I do not know it. The main M5 I would set to AP WDS and the other would be set as Station WDS. On the other side you would then hook it up to whatever you want. Like a PC, a even a wireless router. If you do hook up another wireless router in the barn please do not attach it to the internet/wan port. You'll need to configure it as an AP only.

It may sound a bit daunting but is actually very easy to setup and once it's done, it's done! No more messing with it and it just works. You'll have no issues getting a full speed backhaul link out of it as well and you just can't beat that price.

Here's a link and picture that might help a bit. If you need help on getting it setup I would have no issues helping you or even walking you through some things via Teamviewer remote desktop and/or on the phone.

https://maitechnowik...point-to-point/

• Like 1

You got to buy 2 boxes to have a repeater?

My scenario used one box to repeat the signal, so I'm wondering since I thought about buying this brand ...if I need to buy 2 of them to do the same thing I've been doing for 3 years with one box, I'll just prob keep what I'm doing now

You got to buy 2 boxes to have a repeater?

My scenario used one box to repeat the signal, so I'm wondering since I thought about buying this brand ...if I need to buy 2 of them to do the same thing I've been doing for 3 years with one box, I'll just prob keep what I'm doing now

It's not a repeater, it's backhaul. Repeaters are garbage IMHO, junking up the 2.4 band that already has enough noise in it, combine that with people cranking up chipsets to 100+mw that were designed for 30mw further adding more noise to the band. Doing a proper backhaul link with the proper equipment is really the only way for a maintenance free high performance link. I was just like you until I setup a system like this and was really impressed. There's no way that a third party firmware on some home routers can shoot a 250mbps+ airlink at 1 mile. Even if I was doing 150 yards I would use 2 Loco's, no way would I go old school and deal with the slow speed and headaches.

The issue with your design is the other devices on the other side. Sure you can setup a nice high power router in one home and it looks like it covers a large area. Fire up that smartphone and there it is right? Wrong. You're cranking out 100mw of noisy signal and that little flea power wifi transmitter in the smartphone can barely reach the router. You always have to think, no matter the connection it's 2 way and the router has to be able to "hear" the other devices. I have the same issue even on a proper high power router with my lower powered devices being able to "hear" the network but they are not strong enough to talk back.

With the ever challenging 2.4ghz and now 5.x ghz (with all the new routers and 802.11ac wideband routers) the noise floor in the band is only getting worse everyday. The days of using omni's and repeaters and hacked together solutions are simply over with.

I understand what you're saying...I really do.

But ..if I lived somewhere with neighbors that had wifi...had cordless 2.4ghz phones and other things using that same band, I would think twice about it...but I dont.

I can cut EVERY single router that I own off, and do a wifi scan with my phone...you know what I pick up? NOTHING. Not a single router anywhere around my house, nowhere. The closest router to my house is at the little one-horse gas station that's over 1 mile away from me...

And just cutting my yard with a riding mower. I pick up the repeated signal just fine through the entire yard. Together, my neighbor and myself have a combined 3 acres...

Speedtests from my neighbors: 5.6mbps down, .42mbps up.

We're only talking a 6meg connection being repeated..

And I haven't touched the power settings on any of my DDWRT routers because it becomes unreliable.

Mine (the one being repeated):

j7yr2b.jpg

My neighbors (the repeater, and rebroadcasting a different SSID for him to connect to):

11w5vlz.jpg

What do you plan on doing in the barn? :lol:

The deal here is 2000ft!!

OK, now if your looking to just say you have Wifi there and not be able to use it. All you need is a well placed Cisco router. That should be enough to see it.

If you wanna use the network... Everything digiblur told you is really the only way. I use a long distance network between my dads house and mine (1000ft LOS). Been through it all on this little hobby. I will never trade my wrt54gs', but they or anything like it, will never cut it. Don't waste a dime until your ready to do it right, it will cost you more and piss you off. You can't use a repeater but for little stuff unless you fork out the money for a high power dual band repeater. Loco M5, simple all in one, 5Ghz, POE. Hell of a price. I have $600 into mine. @2000ft do it right.

You really wanna have fun http://www.ubnt.com/airfiber Holy crap! I think i need to change my underwear now. Is it wrong I just wanna touch it?

Dear Santa...

I'm just into making it where my neighbour can surf web pages, I'm not trying to become a small wireless ISP provider for my neighborhood.

If I was getting paid to keep a reliable connection so my neighbour could run a server or they were even helping with the bill, I would look into more expensive equipment. But I'm doing this for free because they are on disability and can't afford their own internet, so it's cheaper for me to grab a $30 router that accepts dd-wrt and use it rather than invest hundreds into something that I personally don't even use. I don't even log into their router, so I don't use my own equipment.

And don't get me wrong, they've been surfing with this equipment running dd-wrt for a few years now, so it's not like it doesn't work. I've had to replace one router, because the los puts his router in a bathroom window and the heat is extreme. Imagine, a router running for years sitting in a window where the sun is directly on the window for 4 hours a day. It's at least 120 degrees right at the window where the router is sitting.

FYI: you aren't supposed to run Ethernet over copper more than 100m/330ft. Fiber would be the only legit way to run a cable that distance and that means conduit.

A directional antenna or some of the various products listed here would be perfectly fine to throw from a home to a barn, etc. 5GHz is almost line-of-sight anyway.

If you want actual coverage over a wide distance you can try illegally boosting the output power of your AP, but your clients won't be boosted and at some point the AP just won't be able to hear them regardless of how high you boost the power... You'd need some custom APs designed to cover a large area and use an outdoor antenna mounted at sufficient height.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, first things first so nothing interferes with the WISP. Do you know what kind of equipment it is? Model number, etc?

It sounds like you basically want a backhaul from building to the next. Like a very long networking cable. Since you have LOS to the other location it makes it very easy. I would get them up as high as possible though as the cleaner the fresnel zone the better. Since the shot is an easy shot and short shot we don't need anything crazy, I would recommend the Nanostation Loco M5 (2 of them). I recently used a pair to shoot just under a mile and we had to turn things down a bit. The M5 is the 5ghz designation and the M2 is the 2.4ghz. I would recommend the 5ghz since it will be less noise and you won't have to worry about wifi in either building messing with things. On Amazon the Loco M5's can be had for $65 a piece with free shipping. The are designed to be located outside, mount them on a pole, mount them under an eave, or my favorite is mounting them on old directv/dishnetwork pole mount on the eave. It's a decent height for this shot.

Is the elevation about the same at both buildings? If not then we would need to go a bit higher on the lower location.

I would set the IP address of the unit in the main home as something like 192.168.1.2 and the barn one as 192.168.1.3. This may vary with your current setup as I do not know it. The main M5 I would set to AP WDS and the other would be set as Station WDS. On the other side you would then hook it up to whatever you want. Like a PC, a even a wireless router. If you do hook up another wireless router in the barn please do not attach it to the internet/wan port. You'll need to configure it as an AP only.

It may sound a bit daunting but is actually very easy to setup and once it's done, it's done! No more messing with it and it just works. You'll have no issues getting a full speed backhaul link out of it as well and you just can't beat that price.

Here's a link and picture that might help a bit. If you need help on getting it setup I would have no issues helping you or even walking you through some things via Teamviewer remote desktop and/or on the phone.

https://maitechnowik...point-to-point/

Sorry, looking at getting the stuff to get this set up now. I am not sure of the brand/model. Is there any way to see without short of emailing the Company? How close does the LOS have to be? For example if I can aim it, am I ok or do I need a special aiming device like they do with Satellite dishes? Also, how important is elevation and tree leaves?

At the other end, I will just hook my new router to it?

Sorry, looking at getting the stuff to get this set up now. I am not sure of the brand/model. Is there any way to see without short of emailing the Company? How close does the LOS have to be? For example if I can aim it, am I ok or do I need a special aiming device like they do with Satellite dishes? Also, how important is elevation and tree leaves?

At the other end, I will just hook my new router to it?

I like the LocoM5 if the distance works. Other wise you go bigger.

No special aiming needed. Just point towards each other.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I like the LocoM5 if the distance works. Other wise you go bigger.

No special aiming needed. Just point towards each other.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I am so sorry, my post was not that coherent. I was referring to the WISP model number? they will be pointed in 2 separate directions and probably not near each other, depends on the LOS I can get.