Google becoming a wireless carrier?

UndeadNexus

Not sure if this has been posted already.

"The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reported that Google has held talks with satellite television provider Dish Network (DISH) regarding the possibility of a venture that would see Google launch its own cellular network and compete directly with the likes of Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T)"

http://bgr.com/2012/...reless-carrier/

However, this is just a possibility and could lead to nowhere. In the event that it actually happens, would any of you guys make the switch?

Only if I can have totally unlimited, with no hidden clause on data, for less than $45/mo, otherwise, I'm sticking with Sprint.

I have my doubts about that. Google will probably go with tiered plans but offering more data than Verizon or AT&T.

If I could get the same deal I have on my old grandfathered SERO plan, maybe. On the other hand, Sprint has been good to me - it would actually take a lot to make me switch...

uploadfromtaptalk1353051818102.jpg

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

• Like 1

Only if I can have totally unlimited, with no hidden clause on data, for less than $45/mo, otherwise, I'm sticking with Sprint.

...and expect to have your data stored and sold for that low price. :lol:

Seriously though, would be nice for there to be more competition. Wireless plan prices are crazy expensive!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Personaly I think if they wanted to go that route it would have been with Sprint. More likely than not they will sign a deal for somebody to provide wireless for them to bundle with their home internet service. Running their own cellular system would create two issues for them. The first would be disgruntled customers trolling the internets and smearing Googles name. The second would be creating animosity with the cellular providors. Would they be willing to sell a product from a competitor?

• Like 1

In my dream scenario Google would come to Sprint with buckets of cash and say only sell Android phones and Tablets, give customers 10G of data a month and price it at 60 per month out the door and we will infuse you with more money than you can imagine. Build the biggest baddest LTE network in under 2 years. I know I'm ridiculous but still.

• Like 2

I can see both Google and Apple eventually becoming wireless MVNO's. At some point, the traditional carriers will not be able to subsidize handsets to the degree that they are now and the handset manufacturers will have to earn their money some other way. While Google has ads/search, Apple does not.

Also, T-Mobile's CEO Alling, thinks that eventually there will be only 3 US carriers:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-16/t-mobile-usa-sees-three-national-networks-over-long-term.html

Does the entry of Dish in the cellular service arena allow the FCC and DOJ to approve a Sprint/T-Mobile merger without loss of competition?

Dish doesn't have enough spectrum to be able to compete effectively on its own. A merger between either Sprint or T-Mobile with Dish would probably be approved, but not one between Sprint and T-Mobile themselves.

I can see both Google and Apple eventually becoming wireless MVNO's. At some point, the traditional carriers will not be able to subsidize handsets to the degree that they are now and the handset manufacturers will have to earn their money some other way. While Google has ads/search, Apple does not.

Phones get cheaper all the time. Soon we won't need to subsidize any smartphone.

That's why they are rumored to have bought $900M of Clearwire's debt. Exchange it for some of Clearwire's spectrum. Couple the 20+20 of spectrum they have with some 10+10 from the upcoming TV spectrum auction and all of a sudden they're pretty credible as far as handset oriented cellular is concerned. Ultimately, if they want to implement VOD they will need Clearwire's spectrum.

Phones get cheaper all the time. Soon we won't need to subsidize any smartphone.

Yeah, but Apple will need to do something to maintain their high margins. The reason phones are getting cheaper is because Google is not making any money on their Nexus phones and is hoping to make it up by search/ads income. The same way that Amazon is making it up by forcing you to use their "content".

I honestly don't see any other provider coming and and putting together the money and wherwithal to build any true infrastructure, especially nationwide. If anything, they would have to set up a hosting agreement with a current provider and realistically that only leaves Sprint/T-Mobile.

Phones are getting cheaper because technology advances and competition. While our phones are impressive, they aren't that expensive to manufacture.

I don't see the current top of the line handsets as cheap. Even at somebody like Voyager Mobile, the GS III costs $549, which is not exactly cheap. Unlocked iPhone is $649. So, I don't know where you're drawing the line between cheap and expensive.

I bet it'll be a gsm based carrier.

Anyone know what spectrum dish owns?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I bet it'll be a gsm based carrier.

Anyone know what spectrum dish owns?

I believe 6ish mhz of unpaired 700mhz. I do not believe it is nationwide either. They also own 40mhz of S-band/AWS-4, which I believe is currently 2000-2020 to 2200-2220. However, that could be moved to 2005-2025 if sprint is able to convince the FCC to use the 2000-2005 as a buffer and sell off the PCS H block.

Would gsm have enough bandwidth to support VoIP? HSDPA+ and HSUPA?

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE

If 2g networks only use 10kbps for voice, wouldn't HSPA+ be fine? Not sure how gsm works though.