Jelly Bean for our HTC EVO 4G LTE??

kckid

Even the official updates tend to be buggy.

Ain't that the truth, if the Sprint Known Issues Database is any indication. Naturally, I can't tell you anything about it without losing my job, but the fact that it exists... well, that should tell you something.
  • Like 1

Ain't that the truth, if the Sprint Known Issues Database is any indication. Naturally, I can't tell you anything about it without losing my job, but the fact that it exists... well, that should tell you something.

What can you tell us about the sprint known issues database? Does Sprint acknowledge the LTE connection issues people are talking about with the EVO LTE?

What can you tell us about the sprint known issues database? Does Sprint acknowledge the LTE connection issues people are talking about with the EVO LTE?

???? uh, nothing... Look here

Naturally, I can't tell you anything about it without losing my job

• Like 1

Sadly, I cannot confirm or deny anything. Not like I have any authority (I'm just a S&R tech in a store), but I do rather like my job, and it has been made clear to me on several occasions that sharing information from the KI tool is immediate termination.

All I can speak of is my own experience, as I own the device. I've never hopped on LTE service myself, but the EVO LTE has a weak radio in my opinion. It can be inferred from public-facing information (search XDA, if you're really curious) that Sprint and HTC have acknowledged said problems, as the last Baseband/PRI addressed LTE connection issues.

Sadly, I cannot confirm or deny anything. Not like I have any authority (I'm just a S&R tech in a store), but I do rather like my job, and it has been made clear to me on several occasions that sharing information from the KI tool is immediate termination.

All I can speak of is my own experience, as I own the device. I've never hopped on LTE service myself, but the EVO LTE has a weak radio in my opinion. It can be inferred from public-facing information (search XDA, if you're really curious) that Sprint and HTC have acknowledged said problems, as the last Baseband/PRI addressed LTE connection issues.

I have never believed that the EVO's problems were related to "weak radios" as some have described it. When I was performing LTE testing in Waco, the EVO LTE had roughly the same signal strength as the GS3 in most instances (and pretty much the same performance speeds and ping times). However, it was tough to keep it connected to a weak signal. It was also tough to get it to connect to LTE on its own, always the last device to discover LTE (if it discovered it at all). In most instances, it required cycling through airplane mode. When we were driving, we were almost out of LTE coverage again before the EVO LTE would discover a signal on its own, or if at all.

Each OTA has improved the EVO LTE's connectivity issues to LTE. Used by itself, most users are oblivious. But when you use the EVO LTE side by side with other Sprint LTE devices, you get frustrated with the EVO LTE. I am preparing a Radio Performance article series to post on S4GRU in the next week or so,.

Robert

As I said, I cannot comment on LTE performance, especially compared to 1x and EVDO. When the two EVO LTE's I have access to trend around 5-10 dBm worse reported 1x signal strength than, say, a Galaxy SII or Motorola Photon, claims of a weak radio start to sound more true. This is definitely noticeable in areas of fringe service, where I may show "no service" or roaming, and others can make calls by pulling down -101.

Perhaps it's merely defective hardware, and I should just swap mine out.

As I said, I cannot comment on LTE performance, especially compared to 1x and EVDO. When the two EVO LTE's I have access to trend around 5-10 dBm worse reported 1x signal strength than, say, a Galaxy SII or Motorola Photon, claims of a weak radio start to sound more true. This is definitely noticeable in areas of fringe service, where I may show "no service" or roaming, and others can make calls by pulling down -101.

Perhaps it's merely defective hardware, and I should just swap mine out.

We performed testing on 1x and EVDO on 800, 850 and 1900 as well. The EVO LTE is definitely a weaker radio performer than several other Sprint devices. But it is mid range over all in total radio performance. But I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to a weak radio. It could be related to its metal back construction, and other factors.

Robert

We performed testing on 1x and EVDO on 800, 850 and 1900 as well. The EVO LTE is definitely a weaker radio performer than several other Sprint devices. But it is mid range over all in total radio performance. But I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to a weak radio. It could be related to its metal back construction, and other factors.

Robert

Ah, I see. Well, you must admit "weak radio" sounds better than "sucks at getting signal dagnabbit" :P

At any rate, I remember reading that there was a multiple device comparison of radio performance article that was being written, but I can't seem to find it. Did it not get posted, or am I just bad at searching? This sort of information is quite interesting to me.

Ah, I see. Well, you must admit "weak radio" sounds better than "sucks at getting signal dagnabbit" :P

At any rate, I remember reading that there was a multiple device comparison of radio performance article that was being written, but I can't seem to find it. Did it not get posted, or am I just bad at searching? This sort of information is quite interesting to me.

It has not been posted yet. The scope of the testing grew and grew. Now all the testing is complete. We are writing a series of articles about LTE performance/radio performance. The first article will publish this week some time.

Robert

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, but since this mentions Jelly Bean and the EVO LTE. Maybe it's just me, but it makes me feel bad when I read about the Jelly Bean updates coming to ONE X and ONE S but they have never mentioned the EVO LTE. It's a flagship phone, why don't they acknowledge it!?

/rant

Also, as far as flash goes, I updated my ASUS Prime not so long ago to Jelly Bean and I can say that I don't miss flash.

-Luis

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, but since this mentions Jelly Bean and the EVO LTE. Maybe it's just me, but it makes me feel bad when I read about the Jelly Bean updates coming to ONE X and ONE S but they have never mentioned the EVO LTE. It's a flagship phone, why don't they acknowledge it!?

/rant

Also, as far as flash goes, I updated my ASUS Prime not so long ago to Jelly Bean and I can say that I don't miss flash.

-Luis

From everything Ive read and seen Flash will be on the HTC EVO 4G LTE. AndroidCentral just got their new review model HTC ONE X+ models and they had mentioned in their article that HTC is keeping flash in JellyBean. Also their preview of the phones running Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) and Sense 4+ (aka 4.5) have the Flash settings option in the launcher (app drawer) and HTC included the original HTC Browser along with Chrome so Flash shouldn't be an issue for HTC users! YAY!

Now as for Jelly Bean I really want project butta and Google Now! I can't wait to wipe that smug grin off of all my friends with iPhone 5's faces! Google Now sounds like a real person while Siri sounds like a computer from 1995, lol! The EVO LTE got the Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1 update approximately a month after the HTC ONE X got it. So I would assume the same timeline for us to get it. I would probably guess that around Thanksgiving we'll be seeing Jelly Bean but not any sooner and that still all depends on when HTC decides to drop it for the ONE X and time is marching on.

From everything Ive read and seen Flash will be on the HTC EVO 4G LTE. AndroidCentral just got their new review model HTC ONE X+ models and they had mentioned in their article that HTC is keeping flash in JellyBean. Also their preview of the phones running Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) and Sense 4+ (aka 4.5) have the Flash settings option in the launcher (app drawer) and HTC included the original HTC Browser along with Chrome so Flash shouldn't be an issue for HTC users! YAY!

Now as for Jelly Bean I really want project butta and Google Now! I can't wait to wipe that smug grin off of all my friends with iPhone 5's faces! Google Now sounds like a real person while Siri sounds like a computer from 1995, lol! The EVO LTE got the Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1 update approximately a month after the HTC ONE X got it. So I would assume the same timeline for us to get it. I would probably guess that around Thanksgiving we'll be seeing Jelly Bean but not any sooner and that still all depends on when HTC decides to drop it for the ONE X and time is marching on.

Rumor has it that (starts singing Adele), that it will roll out this month of the HOX and HOS

-Luis

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe the SGS3 is getting Jelly Bean tomorrow on Sprint! WTF HTC?! HTC hasn't even released Jelly Bean on the international or unlocked HOX models yet, which means carrier branded ones have AT LEAST a month or more wait for Jelly Bean. This angers me and I might try what others have said to get the SGS3 with the issues of problematic LTE issues. Arg! Proof below:

http://phandroid.com...s-october-25th/

Edited by Fifth313ment
  • Like 1

I can't believe the SGS3 is getting Jelly Bean tomorrow on Sprint! WTF HTC?! HTC hasn't even released Jelly Bean on the international or unlocked HOX models yet, which means carrier branded ones have AT LEAST a month or more wait for Jelly Bean. This angers me and I might try what others have said to get the SGS3 with the issues of problematic LTE issues. Arg! Proof below:

http://phandroid.com...s-october-25th/

That leaked memo posted on Phandroid also says that, in addition to the Jellybean rollout, this version of the firmware also includes "LTE system selection improvements" -- whatever that means. This would be the third consecutive OTA for the GS3 that purports to improve LTE connectivity somehow.

... I am preparing a Radio Performance article series to post on S4GRU in the next week or so,.

Robert

If you think you could include your new Note 2 in there I might wait a week to see what you think of its radio before buying one. That is if your local store manager doesn't call in sick.

• Like 1

That leaked memo posted on Phandroid also says that, in addition to the Jellybean rollout, this version of the firmware also includes "LTE system selection improvements" -- whatever that means. This would be the third consecutive OTA for the GS3 that purports to improve LTE connectivity somehow.

Yeah it's the update to make the LTE work like the EVO LTE so everyone gets the same unified experience. :)

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

I can't believe Sprint pulled through and made Jelly Bean happen so quick on the GS3. Looks like us EVO LTE owners will be waiting till next year on Sprint's flagship-wrecked phone. LOL, well you learn at least one thing everyday and today I learned my next phone isn't going to be an HTC. WHO'S WITH ME GIVE ME A "LIKE"! WHOOT!

Edited by Fifth313ment
  • Like 1

I can't believe Sprint pulled through and made Jelly Bean happen so quick on the GS3. Looks like us EVO LTE owners will be waiting till next year on Sprint's flagship-wrecked phone. LOL, well you learn at least one thing everyday and today I learned my next phone isn't going to be an HTC. WHO'S WITH ME GIVE ME A "LIKE"! WHOOT!

No like! lol.... I remember having the Epic and seeing the HTC get updates out the wazoo while my Epic was a lot slower in getting updates, and each update seemed to break something. That's the main reason I didn't want to get another Samsung. So now being in the same position but with a different phone, all it shows me is that it's more phone dependent. And unfortunately we never know until the phone comes out and has been out for a while.

No like! lol.... I remember having the Epic and seeing the HTC get updates out the wazoo while my Epic was a lot slower in getting updates, and each update seemed to break something. That's the main reason I didn't want to get another Samsung. So now being in the same position but with a different phone, all it shows me is that it's more phone dependent. And unfortunately we never know until the phone comes out and has been out for a while.

PISS OFF! J/K, but not really. I don't agree with you at all. HTC was a great company which used to listen to their customers circa 2010 but now they simply think thin is in and their support has failed along all of their devices. Samsung has only gotten better across their whole line. Some carriers get better and some get worse and HTC and Samsung are two great examples. Yeah a company can change but with the momentum Samsung has they can only go up from here. HTC is falling like a lead weight which is why they will be bankrupt soon.

Yep, that was one of the factors why I didn't choose the S3 this time either. The funky GPS on the Epic and funky radios just turned me off of Samsung. Now it feels like they have totally swapped. HTC failed on the updates and has funky radios with the LTE issue, and Samsung has done such a great job with the S3.