The Ting Thread

iansltx

I agree with the conclusion that GSM users value the flexibility a SIM card offers. Hopefully if and when SoftBank tells Sprint to start shipping future phones unlocked out of the box like VZW does, they will have an easier time attracting customers from AT&T and T-Mobile. More reasonable data rates also wouldn't hurt.

On another note, I wonder if Sensorly recognizes Ting signals as Sprint like it does for Boost and VM phones.

Ting phones are Sprint phones. I'm sure Sensorly would lump them in together.

Side note: the rest of my family have converted to Galaxy Victories, except my non-smartphone-toting dad, and they seem to be happy with the quality of service they're getting :)

https://ting.com/blog/ting-pays-out-etfs-up-to-75-per-line/

Effective today, we’ll pay 25% of the ETF paid to make the move to Ting, up to $75.

That’s up to $75 per line, to be clear. If you’re breaking out of your family plan contract to come to Ting, you can receive up to $75 per line that has an early termination fee associated with it.

Not to suggest you should do anything other than jump on this right away, but this isn’t a limited-time promotion. Rather, ETF Relief is just something we do now.

Pretty good deal for anyone considering moving to Ting.

• 11 months later...

It doesn't seem impossible. Technically, Sprint (and subsequently, Ting) could activate almost any Verizon phone if they wanted to. 

It might be missing some bands for some services (B25/B26 LTE, among others), but in general, there's zero hardware / technological problem preventing Verizon phones on Sprint's network. 

Getting past Sprint's blacklist/whitelist is usually the only barrier. If Sprint chooses not to blacklist Verizon iPhones, there'd be nothing preventing them from working on Sprint.

It doesn't seem impossible. Technically, Sprint (and subsequently, Ting) could activate almost any Verizon phone if they wanted to. 

It might be missing some bands for some services (B25/B26 LTE, among others), but in general, there's zero hardware / technological problem preventing Verizon phones on Sprint's network. 

Getting past Sprint's blacklist/whitelist is usually the only barrier. If Sprint chooses not to blacklist Verizon iPhones, there'd be nothing preventing them from working on Sprint.

I think there is still a barrier for OTA. It might need some manual programming.  Oh, iPhone 5 take SIM card.

We need a Ting/MVNO thread in a dedciated section somewhere!

Maybe the mods can modify the title and move it to the appropriate area and just make this the Ting Thread?

We need a Ting/MVNO thread in a dedciated section somewhere!

Maybe the mods can modify the title and move it to the appropriate area and just make this the Ting Thread?

Already have one. This topic has been merged.

• Like 1

Ting has their own official forum, but I'm curious as to how many folks on here have their service. Or am I the only one? Well, not me exactly, but two (will soon be three) members of my immediate family (mom and brothers), all using LG Marquees, one of which is running CTMod (the other two will get it eventually).

What's funny is that their combined monthly bill will be less than mine. Then again, I have a high-end subsidized phone that gets used quite a bit more than theirs will be.

I think Robert has a Ting SIM

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

[...]

Yup.  Most of the devices that we see as being able to activate are either AppleCare replacements or refurbished devices.  The iPhone 5s and newer behaves a lot like the Nexus 5, adapting itself to whatever network it needs to based on the SIM card that it sees at first boot.  The only real hurdle is just getting the MEID in the database.  For now, devices sold as new from anywhere other than Sprint don't make it in, but AppleCare replacement devices, the Nexus 5, and now the Nexus 6 are softening that once very hard line.

• 5 years later...

Ting just announced they're dropping the 20 GB for $20 Sprint based custom plan they had. Family has gotten used to not having to watch call or data usage, and T-Mobile service is poor where some of them are (so no Mint SIM). Thinking of going with Tello or Twigby next month when things roll over. What do y'all think?

Maybe Ting will have better plans by then or something, but I doubt it, and I'm betting those won't be for Sprint based service. One person actually has better TMo service in his area so planning on putting him on Mint.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO I say look at AT&T or VZW MVNOs if you can't do TMobile.  Sprint is going to be moved as rapidly as possible to really only be a network that supports calls and text. All TMobile needs to keep the Sprint network up and phones running is 800MHz.

If that is all you need and get by with < 3GB of data, then sticking with a Sprint MVNO should be cool.  In these cases though I'd be concerned with how rapidly TMobile forces MVNO hands to shift networks when it is their turn and how agressive TMobile is in forcing their hands.

Edited by red_dog007

2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

IMO I say look at AT&T or VZW MVNOs if you can't do TMobile.  Sprint is going to be moved as rapidly as possible to really only be a network that supports calls and text. All TMobile needs to keep the Sprint network up and phones running is 800MHz.

If that is all you need and get by with < 3GB of data, then sticking with a Sprint MVNO should be cool.  In these cases though I'd be concerned with how rapidly TMobile forces MVNO hands to shift networks when it is their turn and how agressive TMobile is in forcing their hands.

The point of "I can't switch to T-Mobile on these couple of lines" is that, for the area in question, T-Mobile has one cell site with B66 + B71 + n71...and the rest of the sites in the area are on 5x5 B2. So T-Mobile's is the network that only supports calls and texts unless you force your phone to ignore B2 (which reduces coverage drastically). T-Mobile owns no B12 in that area.

By contrast, Sprint has their standard setup: 10x10 + 5x5 B25 and 5x5 B26 on four sites in the area, plus a couple carriers of B41 on the single site connected to fiber.

If T-Mobile took over the existing Sprint sites and swapped their 5x5 with Sprint's 10x10, that would likely be enough to make TMo viable in that area...and, incidentally, not enough to trash Sprint in the area as it would only drop Sprint LTE capacity by 25%.

So at that point I could swap to T-Mobile based service, either on Ting (assuming they get better data pricing) or Mint. Either way, I'm not signing a contract with anyone, and all affected phones (S20, Pixel, Moto X4, Moto E4 Plus) were bought outright unlocked so swapping carriers is not a big deal. One catch is that only the S20 has B71, but again T-Mobile has one site in the area with band 71 on it so B71 coverage is actually less than B2...and the current owner of the Pixel lives where T-Mobile is definitely the superior option, with both B71 and B12 deployed.

tl;dr: there's a reason that, for now, I want to stick with a Sprint MVNO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're into the new billing cycle and Ting let us keep the 20GB per line plan somehow. Pure Talk SIMs are coming, but they'll sit around unactivated until this plan stops...which might be the end of the month, or might be the end of *this* billing cycle...or ???

We'll definitely hop over to AT&T (via Pure Talk) between now and a couple months from now, but plan is to hop back when new plans on Ting come out, assuming either we can get those plans on Sprint's network or T-Mobile cleans up their act in 78624 (putting B66 on the sites that are currently PCS-only would probably do the trick without needing to take spectrum away from anything else...and they could add 600 for good measure...both are on exactly one site there).

• 1 month later...

Yesterday Ting released new plans. All are available on either T-Mobile or VZW networks. The fixed-allotment plans are comparable to what Boost has ($25 for 5GB, $45 for 22GB with 12GB tethering, $60 for 35GB with 30GB tethering), plus they have a $10 per line plan that adds data when needed at $5/GB.

The interesting thing here is they say 5G is supported on all plans...which makes sense for T-Mobile, but I wonder if this also includes UW on VZW.

For T-Mobile based service, Mint is cheaper if you're willing to lock in pricing, but being able to pay month-to-month with Ting is nice, as is pooled data and VZW network support. I'll likely pull my mom's S20 from Pure Talk to Ting-on-VZW, as she's having issues with connectivity for some reason and I know VZW is fine in that area (T-Mobile is more fiddly). I'll move others' phones over once they get new devices, I think.

I just switched my parents from VZW to US Mobile on VZW.  Their plans are $15/mo for 2.5GB, $30 for 10GB, $40 for unlimited and discounts with unlimited family.  They opted for the two lines $70/mo unlimited. 

Good to know that Ting exists.  Looks like some decent pricing for VZW network, includes hotspot which is nice.  I think US Mobile it is an add-on feature.

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

I just switched my parents from VZW to US Mobile on VZW.  Their plans are $15/mo for 2.5GB, $30 for 10GB, $40 for unlimited and discounts with unlimited family.  They opted for the two lines $70/mo unlimited. 

Good to know that Ting exists.  Looks like some decent pricing for VZW network, includes hotspot which is nice.  I think US Mobile it is an add-on feature.

Looks like the limited US Mobile plans give you full speed and hotspot, but those are add-ons for unlimited. I've had good luck with Ting customer service so I'm willing to pay a little more for them.

Just confirmed that 5G is *not* included on VZW yet on Ting, which makes sense (and doesn't matter a ton anyway in my area because they won't have n5). Also confirmed that data/video is *not* throttled, which is a significant upgrade from Boost or Metro, both of which cap video at 480p.