Backup iPhone 4S without iTunes?

Odell

I need to take my wife's phone into the Genius bar and it may require a reset or perhaps a new device. So far I have been able to do everything without iTunes and I want to keep it that way. Is there any way to backup the phone and all it's data without using iTunes? Not really looking for a treatise on how much iTunes sucks/rocks.

I do have her set up with iCloud but I am not sure that gets everything.

Thanks for any information.

well if she backs up to icloud, everything gets saved up there..contacts, apps, app settings and configuration, pretty much everything...i dont use itunes at all..never. and i upgraded from a 4S to a 5 , so i restored from my icloud backup and got all my settings and apps back as they were...she may need to enter a few passwords afterwards...but everything will be fine..if you have any more questions, the guys at the genius bar can help you as well.

good luck!

• Like 2

I have an iPad and recently got an iPhone 5. I was pleasantly surprised at how well iCloud worked at syncing all my settings over. I only had to configure Mail accounts after it was finished.

Just make sure you're on WiFi and alot plenty of time for her iPhone to redownload everything. Took almost an hour for all my apps to redownload.

My upgrade (from a 3GS) was easy. Didn't know iCloud kept apps... It actually only keeps app names, along with their save data- the apps themselves don't use up your starve. Game saves do though. I have no problem with iTunes though... Why do you all hate it? Granted, I have a Mac... Heard it sucks on PC, never tried it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

The great iPhone experiment with the wife is now over. She dropped the phone into the toilet (AFTER the flush) and of course we didn't purchase the Apple Care so we would have to pay $200 to replace it with a refurb unit. She didn't want to do that so I have reactivated her Blackberry. I have a nice shiny new iPhone 4S paperweight.

I may see if I can get it repaired for relatively cheap and use it to replace my 8GB iPod Touch.

Thanks for all your help guys.

The great iPhone experiment with the wife is now over. She dropped the phone into the toilet (AFTER the flush) and of course we didn't purchase the Apple Care so we would have to pay $200 to replace it with a refurb unit. She didn't want to do that so I have reactivated her Blackberry. I have a nice shiny new iPhone 4S paperweight.

I may see if I can get it repaired for relatively cheap and use it to replace my 8GB iPod Touch.

Try putting it in a sealed bowl of rice for a while (try a week). If it had a removable battery a quick water bath could be fixed if you yank the battery quick and use the rice to dry it out inside. You usually can get electronics wet and dry them out if you can get the power off fast enough by pulling the battery. With the batter in it even if its off stuff will tend to corrode.

Try putting it in a sealed bowl of rice for a while (try a week). If it had a removable battery a quick water bath could be fixed if you yank the battery quick and use the rice to dry it out inside. You usually can get electronics wet and dry them out if you can get the power off fast enough by pulling the battery. With the batter in it even if its off stuff will tend to corrode.

We did the rice thing. It powered up but was real buggy. The main camera wouldn't work and some sounds wouldn't play. Then it wouldn't stay powered on even with a full battery or while plugged in.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

I wouldn't give up on the old wet iPhone just yet. Try keeping it in the uncooked rice for a couple weeks longer. Keep the container with the rice and iPhone in a warm place and just leave it there. As long as the water was clean (not salt water, no chemicals) and nothing was fried internally there is still a chance that a more thorough drying can save it.

Thanks. I've got it in a ziplock bag with the rice. I won't bother it for awhile and see what happens. If nothing works we may still decide to bite the bullet and pay for a new one otherwise we spend another 2 years with that old blackberry before we can upgrade her again.

Thanks. I've got it in a ziplock bag with the rice. I won't bother it for awhile and see what happens. If nothing works we may still decide to bite the bullet and pay for a new one otherwise we spend another 2 years with that old blackberry before we can upgrade her again.

You could give her one of your old phones that you aren't using...

You could give her one of your old phones that you aren't using...

The story about getting her from a blackberry to something a little more current is a long one detailed in another thread in this section somewhere. It's much simpler to just get her back on the blackberry until we suss out the the situation with the iPhone.

I wouldn't give up on the old wet iPhone just yet. Try keeping it in the uncooked rice for a couple weeks longer. Keep the container with the rice and iPhone in a warm place and just leave it there. As long as the water was clean (not salt water, no chemicals) and nothing was fried internally there is still a chance that a more thorough drying can save it.

This works ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This works ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. The rice acts as a desiccant; similar to those little packs that say "Do Not Eat" you get in electronics shipments. If you can get the device powered off quickly enough and let it completely dry out you can often save it. The problem with iPhones and newer devices is that you can't remove the battery so it's difficult to get it completely without power so there is the risk that something may still short.

• Like 1